On this Episode
Lael Wilcox started biking in 2008 at age 20 with an around the world bike trip that took her through more than 30 countries. In 2015, essentially her first year of racing, she won the Tour Divide and smashed the women’s record by more than 2 days. The next year she won the 4,400 mile Trans Am Bike Race, and set the overall record for both men and women on the Baja Divide route in 2017. Today Lael continues to race and co-leads a mentorship program for middle school girls called Anchorage GRIT in her hometown.
We ask Lael to share her tips and tricks for bikepacking and mental toughness, and talk about the role gender plays in ultra endurance competition. Lael fills us in on how her plans have changed for 2020, her take on documenting and filming her adventures on I Just Want to Ride, and finding nutritious food to eat during races.
Follow and connect with Lael on Instagram @laelwilcox
Support this Podcast
- Review the Singletracks podcast on Apple Podcasts for the chance to win a free hat. Or drop your feedback in the comments below!
- Make a donation to help sustain future episodes.
- Become a Singletracks Pro Supporter.
Never Miss an Episode
- Listen on Spotify
- Listen on Apple Podcasts
- Listen on Google Podcasts
- Listen on Stitcher
- Listen on Overcast
- Get the RSS Feed
- View all Podcast Episodes