Sean Madsen is WTB’s Saddle Category Manager and is an expert in cycling biomechanics with more than 24 years of experience. Over his career he’s studied and taught bike fitting to thousands worldwide, and he’s helped create many innovative saddle concepts while working with top athletes.
In this episode, we ask Sean common questions about bike saddles including:
- How are bike saddles constructed?
- What are some of the different materials that are used for padding? Are there advantages to using materials like gel?
- What is the purpose of titanium or carbon saddle rails?
- How does bike saddle sizing work?
- Are more expensive saddles more comfortable?
- What’s the idea behind saddle cutouts?
- Why do you think the Volt is one of WTB’s best selling saddles?
- Do men and women need different bike saddles?
- Are saddles generally designed under the assumption that riders will be wearing a chamois?
- Are mountain bike saddles different from road bike saddles?
- How have saddle designs changed over the past few seasons? What’s driving the changes?
- What are some signs that it’s time for a new or a different saddle?
Find out more about saddles and WTB designs at wtb.com.
To celebrate their 40th anniversary, Rocky Mountain is giving Singletracks listeners a chance to win one of five limited edition prize packs. Visit singletracks.com/rockymountain40 by August 31, 2021 and enter your name and a valid email address to be considered. One entry per person, no purchase necessary, void where prohibited.