Rocky Mountain Bicycles officially got its start in 1981, and this year the innovative brand is celebrating its 40th anniversary. In that time Rocky Mountain has produced countless innovations and firsts, and their sponsored athletes have won races on all of the world’s biggest stages. Today Dre Hestler and Stephen Matthews are joining me to talk about the brand’s history, and to look to the future.
In this episode we learn:
- How Rocky Mountain got its start
- Why the brand’s first production model in 1982, the Sherpa, was so special
- What it’s like working at Rocky Mountain, and how the company’s operations in BC and Quebec influence product design
- Which Rocky Mountain athletes and races stand out over the years
- How the brand partnered with freeriders Richie Schley, Wade Simmons and Brett Tippie at the dawn of the sport
- Where 27.5″ mountain bikes came from, and where they currently fit in
- Which bikes Dre and Stephen are most proud of
- How DynaMe is different from other e-bike drive systems on the market
- What the future looks like for Rocky Mountain
To celebrate the anniversary, Rocky Mountain is giving Singletracks listeners a chance to win one of five limited edition prize packs. Visit singletracks.com/rockymountain40 by August 31, 2021 and enter your name and a valid email address to be considered. One entry per person, no purchase necessary, void where prohibited.