Scott Genius, thoughts?

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Ok, so I am looking to upgrade the sled.

I can get great a deal on Scott bikes, and initially I liked the spark but would rather have an all around trail bike that can still race XC.

The downside is that I can’t ride it before I buy, but I am looking at the either:

Genius 50 Alloy frame – 27.97lb
      or
      Genius 40 Alloy frame – 27.31lb
      or
      Genius 30 Carbon frame-26.87lb

What should I do, the carbon kind of scares me, I don’t want to crash and destroy the bike.

Any input welcomed!

I have a Spark 20 Carbon in my quiver and it’s the best of the best for XC racing, as you have the adjustable on the fly rear shock and can lock out and gain some of the Hardtail attributes of the Scale. BUT it can get overwhelmed when the edges go square and will get twitchy above 35mph on dynamic terrain.

The Genius….I’ve tested/demo’d….it was a Gen 10…OK climber, not a great descender. Relies way too much on the fork and the proprietary rear shock without the feeling of chain growth controlling designs like that of VPP and DW link formats. The proprietary shocks should give you pause too as well as the industry reviews haven’t been kind either.

Don’t fret the carbon frames, they hold up great unless you take a direct boulder smash as you plummet from a Downieville rock garden, but Aluminum/Steel/Ti will suffer just as much. Calfee in Ca can repair almost any carbon bike..just in case.

For the premium you are paying for a carbon Scott bike, you can get a better bang for the buck with another manufacturer especially if your popping $5k plus on the table. I love Scotts, don’t get me wrong, but in that range of price and suspension travel there are plenty of more worthy rigs to plop your $ on.

Scotts USA bikes are Rock Stars at MTB events around the world…but have limited distribution in the US, despite the name.

Someone once said…showing up with a Scott at the trailhead is like showing up at your High School prom with Jessica Alba!!

Pivot Mach5, SC Blur LT2 etc…are good alternatives.

Thanks for the advice, I am not too worried about the price because of deal I have. Just interested in the performance and durability. The Scott shock does give me some concern, but I love the lock out feature.

I re-evaluated my needs and I think I going with the Spark 30.

The Spark 30 is a seriously nice bike, I know you’ll love it. When do you think you’ll get it?

[quote="RunandBike0519"]I re-evaluated my needs and I think I going with the Spark 30.[/quote]

It will be the fastest..XC bike you’ll probably ever ride. The travel-loc will have you scampering around like a hard tail, and when you flick it for the descents…your buddies will be eating dust. You’ll be hangin in there at about 24lbs…seriously light and race ready out of the box.

Enjoy!!

Scott makes nice rides but they are overpriced IMO.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.