Hydration packs

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author

What kind/brand of hydration packs do you guys like? What do you like/dislike about your packs? I looked at some reviews but want some rider opinions. Thanks

I ride with the classic camelbak for my short rides at the local trail. It is 70 oz. with only 1 small compartment that I can fit my phone, tool, one gel and a patch kit in. I strap a spare tube and pump on the bunge strap on the back. It is light, but like I said not much room for extra. I also use the Camelbak chaos for longer rides. It is also 70 oz, but has a lot more storage compartments and is made from heavy duty nylon. The one downfall is I should have got the 100oz version like the Mayhem. I ride with guys who use the 100oz M.U.L.E. and like it, but I like the heavier duty nylon. As far as other brands I have guys that have used other "generic" brands and they always seem to leak at some point. My Camelbak’s have been rock solid.

Well there are two that i personally use…Not at the same time…LOL.. Well for longer rides and epic’s i use my Camelbak Octane 14+ it fits well and carries a tonne of stuff. If i am doing laps at the cycling center’s i will use my Octane XC which is only 70oz and only enough room for an inflator as well as keys and spare tube, and a snack.

Camelback is obviously the widest used brand and probably the easiest to get replacement parts for, and they seem to have enough choices available to make it way confusing. One thing to be wary of when buying a pack is while the pack area may seem big enough for your gear while standing in the store, once you fill the reservoir with water it will take up a considerable amount of that room (I learned this through experience…. D’oh!).

A tube, multi tool, tire levers and pump are always on the bike itself, however there seems to always be a need to carry something else. Here in Alaska I use a camelback MULE- awesome pack! And large enough for all the extra stuff we need to carry up here- bug dope, raincoats, bear spray, etc. In the states I have a couple of Hydrapak’s, a 70 oz for short rides and a 100 with more pack space for longer days or when I want to carry more gear. I like the Hydrapak because I can get my hand into the reservoir and clean it, they are worth taking a look at if you havnt made up your mind on a camelback yet.

http://www.hydrapak.com/

These guys are also the people that make the Gel-Bot for those of you who like to use the power gels. A pretty sweet invention getting good reviews-

http://www.hydrapak.com/

I have a Nalgen hydration pack. Do not know which model but it was designed for bikers. It has held up good. Bit valve has been replaced a few times and its hard to find replacements.

I also have a camelbak bladder (100oz.) that I used when hiking. It goes in my backpack. Like it a lot more. Will be looking to buy a new system for riding and am thinking of the Camelbak MULE.

I have the Camelbak H.O.S.S. and I absolutely love it. Before this pack I wasn’t a hydration-pack-guy and I was skeptical about this pack in particular because it is so large. It turns out the H.O.S.S. has an amazing harness system and DVIS back panel that makes me forget I’m wearing it, even on bumpy trails. Now I fill the thing with tools, parts, electronics, snacks, etc. every time I go out for a ride.

I’ve also heard great things about the Dakine Drafter, in particular about the Nalgene bladder that’s used in this pack.

There are definitely some great choices out there, my advice is not to skimp on price because you’ll usually end up getting what you paid for.

Thanks guys this is the kind of info im looking for As AK Dan said there are so many choices that it can get confusing. and what may look good in the store might not be best on the trail when filled with water. One other concern I have is the pack riding up on my shoulders when riding Do the waist/chest straps on some models? Or is this not a prob? Thanks again

Yes, and Both.

You’ll just have to ride and adjust them quite a bit until you get the right, comfortable fit for you. My packs have a removable waist belt that I take off for riding around town or just mellow trails. But the minute I hit any trail where Ill be rockin I put it on- this is another one of them things I learned the hard way ;)

Just to put one more out there…I have a Camelbak Blowfish. It holds 3L (100oz) of water and has an expandable storage compartment. It has 720 cu. in. or 990 cu. in. depending on whether it is expanded. It doesn’t look quite as cool as the M.U.L.E. because it doesn’t have as many little compartments on the outside, but it is cheaper and holds more stuff.

I like mine so far.

+1 for the M.U.L.E.

In addition I’ll also carry a water bottle with gatorade – especially on longer rides.

Sometimes in the cold months if the ride isn’t going to be very long I’ll opt out of the Camelback and ride "naked". Seriously, you feel like you forgot something. For this reason, I still carry a seat bag with all the essentials.

"Beaker" wrote

Sometimes in the cold months if the ride isn’t going to be very long I’ll opt out of the Camelback and ride "naked". Seriously, you feel like you forgot something. For this reason, I still carry a seat bag with all the essentials.

Can anyone say "Shrinkage"

http://www.kifaru.net/mollexpress.html

These are the best packs I have ever used. Virtually indestructible and silicone impregnated so you dont need a wet weather bag inside. They are a little pricey but well worth the money because it will last forever.

I have a Camelbak Trail Blazer with the 100 oz bladder. Like Trek i wasn’t really into the trend of the bladder paks until I bought this one. I don’t know how I lived without it. I think it’s more for day hikes but i love it, it feels tiny but holds a ton of crap.

I bought my Ex-girlfriend an REI cold weather one with an insulated tube for like forty bucks and we broke up before I got it here so i used it the other day and its really nice too haha but i like my old pal camel best.

p.s. REI is closing these babies out for fifty bucks if you’re looking for a Hyrdo pack!

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/789295

If you live where it’s HOT check out Deuter. They have a mesh back panel so you sweat less. Camelbak is better compartmentalized, it’s only plus.
      I’d suggest a 16 Liter pack.

16 liter? that is like 4 gallons, at over 8 pounds a gallon……..

"brianW" wrote

16 liter? that is like 4 gallons, at over 8 pounds a gallon……..

I think the poster forgot the (.) as in 1.6 liters makes more sense…still a hefty pack, but when you figure we can lose a couple of quarts an hour exerting in a hot environment, it may be barely enough.
      Cheers.

Quick Math:

1 Liter = 34 oz (roughly) therefore 1.6L would be approx 54 oz.

My pack has a 100 oz bladder which is approx. 3L.

That being said, a 1.6L bladder is quite small by todays standards. Maybe it was cold and there was shrinkage 😳

Forget the math..and the ills of our ways. The 16 liters refers to the total volume of the backpack..not the bladder.

I also use the M.U.L.E. as my hydration pack, I have been for about 2 years now, when my LBS recommended it to me. I told him generally what I would carry in it, and how much water I usually drink on my 2+hour rides. As well as what I was worried about, which would be – the eventual leaking, getting warm water way too soon, and durability.

He told me that the M.U.L.E. was perfect for what I was looking for, and that I should bring all my stuff in and try packing it in to see how much space I would have, also they have a "test" reservoir to see how much more it weighs with water in it!!! Awesome right?! Well it worked out and I was sold, so I haven’t looked back since.

i have a north face and the only Problem is the water gets warm in 3 hour in

I use a High Sierra Soaker 2-Liter pack on all my rides. It has to pockets large enough to carry my wallet, keys, cellphone, and an extra tube, but there is still additional space. It also has a helmet net. All this for $40. I would have liked to buy a Camelback but I’m a stingy bastard. The only problem I’ve had with it is it leaked where the tube meets the bladder, but teflon tape fixed that problem. There are several others that use the same pack around here.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/produ … Id=2346143

My wife uses the Camelbak L.U.X.E., which is the chick’s version of the H.A.W.G. It’s 100ozand will hold snacks, tools, a spare tube, spare clothes and her Canon SLR with the 200mm lens, with plenty of room to spare. Even with all that, it fits comfortably and doesn’t interfere with bike riding.

I use the Camelbak Rogue for both bike commuting and offroad riding. I tend to travel light anyway, and this is appropriate for all but the most epic of journeys.

Typically, I have water, (of course) crank bros multi-tool, two pedros tire levers, a tube, (or two, depending on the ride) snacks, a ziplock bag of odds and ends for repairs, (zip ties, velcro straps, powerlink, etc) a mini-handpump, more snacks, GPS tracker, sometimes cell phone, a couple more snacks, and I can roll up long pants and a vest or jacket and stuff them under the top pocket and cinch them down.

My absolute favorite feature of mine is that I can fill the reservoir without having to remove it from the pack. As often as I use it this saves me a TON of time.

On a related note, my point and shoot camera and cell phone typically ride in my cycling jersey pockets, and when I fall, the camelbak sticks out far enough to protect them.

Did I mention it has room for lots of snacks? 😆

"ChiliPepper" wrote

Top the bladder with either ice or a combination of ice and a cold pack inside the pack up against the bladder and facing your back. Not only will the cold pack keep your back a little cool, but will aide in keeping the water cooler with out contaminating the water. Works better on the bigger packs than the little weiner packs. I have used this method in my Classic Camelback, my HOSS Camelback, and my MULE Camelback. Works great!

That’s pure genius speaking right there. I’m shocked that I’ve NEVER heard that before. I’m psyched to try this today, I’m about to head out in 88 (and rising) degree weather, no clouds and the sun is boiling everything in sight. This is perfect! Thanks a bunch for the idea man!

Yeah, I stuff mine with ice cubes and then top off the water when it’s hot enough to bother.

No more NON-Camelback hydration products for me!
      My son has a kids-size Camelback…no problem.
      My daughter and I have REI & North Face brands….both made by Nalgene I believe. As one poster mentioned, finding replacement parts for the Nalgene stuff is a pain. REI stopped using the Nalgene bladder in their pack so they no longer carry parts.
      That said….I love the Noth Face Flight Series pack….good size bladder and plenty of pockets/room for most day-trips. I’m thinking of replacing the entire bladder & tubing with Camelback stuff to make my life easier.

Viewing 25 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.