Thinking of switching back to platform

Tagged: , , , ,

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Hello, just joined the forum as a new member.

I have been on several forums and researching the pros and cons of platform versus clipped pedals. I switched to clipped pedals about 3 years ago and I have never really grown confident with them in highly technical rock infested runs. When I used to race XC many years ago, I used platform but then added power straps. It seemed that when I needed to bail out if I stalled climbing a steep ascent full of rocks or doing a bomber run down a steep rock filled run was pretty easy and instinctive. I had some serious wrecks but never with the bike coming with me still attached to my feet. The power straps could be a bitch to get back into though in the middle of a race.

When I switched over to purely recreational riding, I started hitting even steeper and more technical all mountain type of stuff than what I remember during my XC races. I switched to clipped pedals and things have been downright dangerous at moments even though I became much more comfortable with them as time passed by. It was the unseen moment where there was no time to react that the clipped pedals made things worse. So, I am thinking of making the transition back using a pedal like the Straightline SC pedal or similar.

My question is, has anyone else who enjoys riding the technical single track boulder runs stayed with clipped pedals? Has anyone used the platform pedals in these same runs with success? (no power straps)

From what I have read, it really comes down to body and foot position along with technique when using platform, much more so than clipped. If you have good technique and positioning, I have read that some technical riders have not had the dismounting/ slipping issues often associated with platform pedals. I spent almost 300 dollars for the clipped shoes and pedals so I am not real excited about spending 100+ dollars on good quality platform pedals but I need to find a better way to stay safe while riding hard in the rock. Yesterday I put on 8 miles of hard riding and fell twice while trying to climb really technical rocky stuff. I stalled both times when trying to hop/ lunge over a washout with rocks and fell over sideways and just could not get my foot out quick enough. This does not sound bad but even a short sideways fall like this sucks when you are sitting on and amongst pointy football/ basketball or bigger sized rocks.

Thanks!

Kevin

Viewing 0 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.