So did everyone ride this weekend?

Tagged: ,

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

How was everyone’s weekend? Get some riding in I hope?

I did a race yesterday, the 6/12hrs of Dauset. I did the 6hr solo. It was CRAZY dry, dusty, and loose. My bike and I were both covered in a fine layer of dirt not long after the start.

It was not a ‘straight 6’ race, where you have to finish your last lap before the 6hr mark to count. You were allowed to finish after 6hrs, but you couldn’t start a new lap after 5.5hrs.

I had a good ride, did 5 laps (49.7 miles, all singletrack) in just over 5.5hrs, including the pit stops. Just missed the cut-off to start a 6th lap…which was fine, I didn’t feel like doing a 6th. The winner did 7 laps last year, not sure about this year, still waiting on results to get posted. I didn’t hang out after the race, had a long drive home, so I got packed up and going pretty quickly after I finished.

I was pretty stoked with my ride. I rode a pretty hard pace (for me) all day and didn’t bonk or cramp, my legs still felt pretty good at the end of the day. They didn’t have the same output level as earlier, but they were still happily turning the cranks. My hands were sore at the end of the day though. Dauset isn’t the smoothest place I’ve ridden, and my bike is rigid.

One near death experience. On one of the fast downhills I was dragging the brakes just enough to keep from gaining any speed, went into a corner and suddenly the rear locked up and swung WAY out to the side. I thought I was dead for sure. Crazy lean angle + drift + loose dirt usually doesn’t mean lots of traction, but somehow the bike stood back up. Didn’t even unclip, didn’t lose any speed.

It was a good ride.

rode Mistletoe State park (GA) Great old school loop. Going up the an off canter climb filled with baby heads and roots (my favorite section) I was thinking this loop would make a good 6/12 hour race. Technical challenges with some fast double track thrown in there.

Sounds like you had a good race.

I rode Walnut Creek near Charlottesville with some friends on Friday, camped overnight in Scottsville and floated the James River yesterday. Camped over again and headed home this morning. Fantastic weekend, and perfect weather.

Sounds like fun race dgaddis!

Rode my DH rig on the Bull Mountain loop friday. Lots of pushing on the way up, but the downhills were SO FAST!

Did a LONG day of rock climbing and hiking on Saturday. Very physically intense day, but not on the bike.

Sunday I went for a short 5-7 mile ride on some abandoned gravel roads on an unused tract of public land. Had some fun exploring… definitely some potential for trail development!

Where did you go rock climbing? Used to climb and boulder a lot before moving to GA.

"brianW" wrote

Where did you go rock climbing? Used to climb and boulder a lot before moving to GA.

Climbed at Mount Yonah. Some pretty good stuff, although pretty slabby, and almost all of the sport routes are really easy.

The only other issue is the approach is 45 min – 1 1/2 hours depending on which wall you’re climbing on. Can make for a long day, but it was fun!

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.