Painting a frame

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

I’ve recently acquired a full suspension mountain bike in a trade deal (I’m pretty sure I’ve go the better deal of the two of us) – for the most part the bike is in great shape, just needs some tune-ups and lubrication; however, one thing I did notice is that there’s a lot of scratches on the frame.

Since I plan on having this bike for a bit, I’d like to fix up the scratches – and rather than matching the colours throughout the whole design, I may just repaint the whole frame.

However, I’ve never done this before. What kind of paint should I get? What are the procedures for painting a bike?

Thanks team.

Check out getting the whole thing stripped and powdercoated:
      http://www.powdercoatstudio.com/

By chance I did a bit of reading on this just the other day in a book I bought (Bicycle Maintenance and Repair by Todd Downs which is actually reviewed on this site and I would recommend to anyone). Downs recommends straight away taking it to a professional due to the possibility of damaging the tubes during stripping them. He also makes some suggestions for what type of paints to use though: enamels (both baked and catalyzed) are apparently the best choice for most bikes as a top coat since they resist chips.

Hope that helps you can always ask your local bike shop for recommendations and if you want to read the short section in the book I am talking about look it up on page 33 in a nearby bookstore.

hope that helps!

Viewing 2 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.