Old Full Suspension to Modern Hardtail?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I’m currently riding a 12 year old Gary Fisher Cake 2 full suspension XC bike with 26″ wheels. I’m looking at purchasing a new bike in the $2k price range. From what research I’ve done and the type of riding that I do, I’m thinking that I would get the most value out of a plus size hard tail. I literally haven’t ridden any bike but my 26″ full suspension for the last 12 years. Is it worth messing around with a plus size hard tail or should I save more and go with a full suspension?

I feel like any upgrade to larger wheel size and the advances in bike technology over the past decade will make a huge difference compared to my current ride, but any input would be nice.

Here are the hardtails I’m considering:

Kona Big Honzo

Norco Fluid 7.1 HT+

Specialized Fuse Comp 6Fattie

Any input is appreciated. I’m also open to the idea of building my own hardtail with a steel frame, but that’s a whole different topic.

Personally, I’d scour the classifieds on Pinkbike & Craigslist and find a FS bike but if you’re daed set on going with a hardtail, I read great thinks about the Honzo.

Go out and rent both types if you can and try them out.  I own both a 29 hard tail and fs and love them both.  But at my age (55) I am leaning more and more on the hard tail because the body feels better when I’m done.  Good luck!

The kind of bike you might get can also depend on where you ride. I’ve got two main trail networks near me- one more technical (FS shines there) and one more flowy (HT is way more ideal). I would definitely give some consideration to the terrain you’ll face. At $2k, you’ll likely get a really solid HT or an entry level FS.

On a side note- I rode an old Gary Fisher Cake back in July that I borrowed from my uncle while in Utah. It was a fun time but definitely outdated (geometry wise) in comparison to what we have today. That’s just an observation though, I really do love older/retro bikes.

Thank you for the input. It sounds like the answer to my question, as with most questions about what type of bike to get on here, is to go ride a bunch of different models to see which one suits me and the terrain I’m riding best.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.