Newbie Introduction

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

Hello Everyone!
      I’m Derek from Texas. Fairly new to mountain biking….looking forward to learning and sharing.

By the way- my first question is:

What is a good brand of mid range pedals?

Hello brother, welcome aboard singletracks. Always a pleasure to have new members aboard. As far as an answer to your pedal question goes Drive Technologies, Azonic, and Odyssey all make some good mid line platform pedals. Your best bet is to go with a pedal that offers replaceable pins and sealed bearings. As far as clipless goes you’ll have to wait for a response form another member on that one as I only run platform pedals on my rigs 😃 . Hope that helps you somewhat 😄 .

I have a pair of shimano M520’s (about $50) and enjoy them.

Welcome…. I’ll second the Shimano 520 and I think one of my sets are Shimano 505 all have been good.

Welcome to the forum. I like Shimano 540s for clipless pedals. Easy to get in and out off and always work well. Been a while since I used platforms (not sure which you want). Both have there advantages, but clipless are most popular for cross countyr riding. Freeriders seem to like platforms.

I’m a sucker for Ritcheys. Pro V4 are all over the internet on sale fro $80. They use an SPD cleat which will also work on a Shimano SPD, but the Shim SPD won’t work on a Ritchey.
      The WCS V4 with Ti cast body will stick you for $180…they use a Cro Mo axle because it’s stronger than a Ti.
      They have a really low profile and are much lighter than similar Shimano options, they shed mud well and have taken some brutal direct hits w/o bending..so far.
      Cheers.

depends on your style i ride a set of odessy twisted pcs cost me like ten bucks and they feel great. depends on money and style man i cant handle being clipped into my bike id kill my self

Welcome bro, enjoy your stay here.

To answer your question, you will need to ask yourself what type of riding you plan on doing most, but….

Shimano PD-M520’s are good as people stated, they cost like $50-60 and are pretty good.

Shimano PD-M324’s are a little different, they are more versatile, they have one side of clipless, and one side of platforms, so you can pick. However they not only cost a bit more about $75, but if I remember correctly they weigh a bit more too.

Personally, I prefer the Time or Crank Bros (Eggbeater) style pedals for XC riding. Very simple, don’t need lube, don’t need adjusting (can’t adjust them), easy to maintain, light, cheap.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.