Lighting systems

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author

I have a lighting system from 1999 or so. I think it is a Niterider, two separate lights, aluminum housing:one is super bright and burns the battery in 15 minutes, the other is good for 2 hours or so. I think they are Halogen. the whole system is in excellent condition although I don’t use the bright light. the battery I suspect is NiCad. replaced it last year. Is there a way to adapt a newer, lighter more efficient battery system? The battery fits in a water bottle compatible case.

Lighting tech has changed so much that you can buy a new, brighter, more efficient complete system for less than the cost of upgrading the older halogen models.

Watch for my upcoming review of the Lumintrek LED light:
      http://www.lumintrek.com/bicycle-lights … b47e082986

Dear mad, I was afraid that was the answer. thanks for responding. what is a decent helmet model in your opinion. I would love the Lupine system but the cost.

Click the link.

I haven’t written the review yet, but I really like it so far.

Didn’t try many but Spoke Grenade 1000 ($89) gives me a 1000 lumens during three hours. Optional helmet mount cost $10. Planning on buying one more for handlebar.
      And back to original question, yes, you can find better/high capacity battery for your light but does it really worth of effort?

I am convinced. the Lumintrek is on my list.

deal extreme sells lighting systems at about the $50-60 level that are knock-offs of the magicshine.

i have one and it works fine, but the components are not of the highest quality and if you have any issues, well, good luck. so the lumintrek, made in the usa, might be of higher quality and offers a 5yr warrantee.

i also have a baja light. contrary to the magicshine knockoff, is constructed to military spec and is so waterproof, you can take it underwater with you to startle fish at night. price was about $300 though. what is nice about the baja is it offers 2 reflectors, a narrow beam, not much use on a bike, and a wider beam, much preferred. i believe the lumintrek 1600 does as well. for the magicshine i purchased a $5 lens from eBay to widen the beam. works great.

just some other options depending upon your budget

I hate to think about it this early, but light season will be here before you know it. 😮

Light technology has evolved as much and as fast as bike technology. They are all good, but get better and actually cheaper each year. When I bought my HID Nightrider Storm maybe 6-7 years ago it was $300 on sale at the end of the year, that years models were $400. Now for $100-$200 you get a light that blows it out of the water lumen wise and is half the weight.

i know people who use the flashlights sold at costco. used to be 3 lights at 120 lumens, i’ve heard they changed their led and are now rated 200 lumens, all for $20. you have to rig them to your bars or helmet though. but 2 on the bars and one on the helmet should be a good bit of light.

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

I hate to think about it this early, but light season will be here before you know it. 😮

I broke the lights out recently. Been doing a couple of early morning rides before the sun comes up. A great way to start the day…

I have a set of Magic Shines. They are out of business now, but I like the lights. Of course, I have nothing to compare them to. I dropped one light the other day and it hit the concrete pretty hard. Cringing, I picked it up, plugged it in, and I had light! Whew.

Magicshine is alive and well: http://magicshineusa.com/products

Love their stuff…I’m very hard on equipment and the light I have from them has proven to be bomb proof. It’s been smacked into low hanging branches, dropped off my helmet and dragged by the power cable, and used in snow and rain.

Going to get my hands on a MJ-880 for my handlebars this Winter. The 2000 lumen owl eyes are way cool and it should be a great addition to my 900 lumen helmet mounted light.

I <3 night riding 😎

"jtorlando25" wrote

Magicshine is alive and well: http://magicshineusa.com/products

Love their stuff…I’m very hard on equipment and the light I have from them has proven to be bomb proof. It’s been smacked into low hanging branches, dropped off my helmet and dragged by the power cable, and used in snow and rain.

Going to get my hands on a MJ-880 for my handlebars this Winter. The 2000 lumen owl eyes are way cool and it should be a great addition to my 900 lumen helmet mounted light.

I <3 night riding 😎

My mistake. I bought mine from GeoMangear, and they have ceased operations (http://www.geomangear.com/). I agree that they are pretty tough. In addition to dropping it the other day, I too hit a couple low-hanging branches the other morning.

I also have a DealExtreme light. It did take a month to arrive, in December but at 900 lumens for around $50, what a bargain!
      My Exposure Joystick light is high quality and the best helmet mount but less than 1/3 as bright and 4x the price. Best flashlight, though.

I have a small collection of lights from Exposure. Had them a few years and they are surviving better then the bike.

http://www.exposurelights.com

"JSatch" wrote

i know people who use the [color=#000000:17zf1i2p]cheap flashlights[/color:17zf1i2p] sold at costco. used to be 3 lights at 120 lumens, i’ve heard they changed their led and are now rated 200 lumens, all for $20. you have to rig them to your bars or helmet though. but 2 on the bars and one on the helmet should be a good bit of light.

Can you plz inbox me about the finix flashlights price ?
      I wanna buy some.

"Shabiham" wrote

[quote="JSatch":h0wmrbo7]i know people who use the flashlights sold at costco. used to be 3 lights at 120 lumens, i’ve heard they changed their led and are now rated 200 lumens, all for $20. you have to rig them to your bars or helmet though. but 2 on the bars and one on the helmet should be a good bit of light.

Can you plz inbox me about the finix flashlights price ?
      I wanna buy some.[/quote:h0wmrbo7]

i bought some of these for home use awhile back. lumen rating upped to 200 lumens/light and may be higher now, but same price, about $20. item #609650

900 lumen l.e.d. bike lights on amazon are running in the sub $40 range last i looked. check it out.

"maddslacker" wrote

[color=#000000:3rh1hqlp]Lighting tech has changed so much that you can buy a new, brighter, more efficient complete system for less than the cost of upgrading the older halogen models.

Watch for my upcoming review of the Lumintrek [/color:3rh1hqlp][color=#000000:3rh1hqlp]led light[/color:3rh1hqlp][color=#000000:3rh1hqlp]:[/color:3rh1hqlp]

hello friend sorry for old thread posting.. I have been searching for new affordable lighting system.. Please help me to find the best option..Looking forward for quick reply… Thanks:)

If you need good quality lights specially for ship I can recommend you
      <table style=”border-collapse: collapse; width: 527px; height: 71px;” border=”0″ width=”64″ cellspacing=”0″ cellpadding=”0″>
      <tbody>
      <tr style=”height: 15.0pt;”>
      <td class=”xl65″ style=”height: 15.0pt; width: 48pt;” width=”64″ height=”20″>CLick Here To Visit http:</td>
      </tr>
      </tbody>
      </table>

Viewing 17 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.