How many GPSs do you own?

Tagged: 

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

I was wondering if anyone has more than one GPS?

I have three:

Garmin GPSMAP60
      Garmin Edge 305
      Magellan eXplorist 400

I got them in that order, too. In fact that is how I got into MTB in the first place. Got the GPS for geocaching but around the same time I got out of the army and needed a new physical activity besides 12oz curls to keep me healthy and since I lived next to a big state forest, I decided on riding in the woods.

Being somewhat of the Puter Geek, found that I can’t ride without my GPS. I need to know where I have been. Very rarely do I use it for navigation.

So, how many do you have and what are they? And how do you use them?

I currently have 3: eTrex Vista, Edge 305, and eXplorist 400. I’ve owned many more but ended up selling them on eBay when I outgrew them: eTrex (basic), Forerunner 201, Edge 205, and eXplorist 200.

I think next I’ll try a GPS with a color screen – maybe the Vista Cx or the GPSMAP 60CSx?

I’m definitely a data geek when I’m on the trail and I constantly switch from the map screen to the elevation profile to trip data (avg speed, distance, etc.). I’m kinda bummed that the eXplorist makes it so tough to see a plot of your elevation data, it’s cool to see how far you’ve climbed and how steep your descents have been. The Edge 205 skips this screen altogether, that’s why I had to ditch it…

I think next I’ll try a GPS with a color screen – maybe the Vista Cx or the GPSMAP 60CSx?

Yeah, I want color in my next unit and I will most likely go with another Garmin, even though I don’t care for scale on Mapsource Topo (1:100,000). Garmin, I think is just easier to use than the Magellans.

Maybe I will bay the map60 and get a map60Csx.

I currently have 3 Garmins:
      -Summit
      -Vista Cx
      -StreetPilot 2620 (obviously this one doesn’t go on the trail though)

Yep, I’m a geek.

I got the Summit about 5-6 years ago after getting turned around in a whiteout on Mt Adams in Washington. It has limited abilities (no basemap) but it still works great for navigation and data collection for shorter rides. It was one of the earlier models so it doesn’t have the ability to change how often it leaves breadcrumbs so the 3000 trackpoints would only last 4-5 hours.

I just got the Vista Cx a couple of months ago and I love it. It has everything the Summit has PLUS the ability to make my own custom basemaps. The latter was the main reason for getting it. I used to make a lot of maps at my previous job and now I have loads of map making software at my new job (ArcGIS, Global Mapper, MapEdit, cGPSMapper). The ability to add color really helps with creating a useful basemap. The challenge has been to determine what layers are most useful while riding and at what zoom level certain layers should turn on or off. I hate having a map that’s cluttered and it’s difficult to go from what works on a monitor to what works on the Vista while riding.

The StreetPilot really only goes with me when I travel for work or I’m trying to find a new trailhead. My wife does use it when she runs a SAG vehicle for me.

I’d have to say that I use my GPS for 95% entertainment and 5% navigation. At places I ride often, I use it mostly for collecting a track and compare it to previous rides via Topofusion’s multiplayback tool. I’ve been curious how the "ghost rider" function works on the Edge. Any insight guys? On short rides, I like to keep it on the trip computer and monitor distance, total time, and stopped time. However, it’s that 5% of the time that the GPS has proved it’s worthiness. I make a few long distance rides (100+ miles) a year usually to places I’ve never been before and it has enabled me to get away from stopping to check the maps or worrying that my navigation is off. I still carry a map and compass for backup purposes but I haven’t had to pull them out. I trace my route in one of the GIS/GPS software programs (usually ExpertGPS) then transfer it to the GPS. Most of the time the inaccuracy of the ‘pre-ride’ track is manageable and still far more accurate than map/compass navigation.

The latter was the main reason for getting it. I used to make a lot of maps at my previous job and now I have loads of map making software at my new job (ArcGIS, Global Mapper, MapEdit, cGPSMapper). The ability to add color really helps with creating a useful basemap. The challenge has been to determine what layers are most useful while riding and at what zoom level certain layers should turn on or off. I hate having a map that’s cluttered and it’s difficult to go from what works on a monitor to what works on the Vista while riding.

I know this might be getting deraily here but I am curious on your successes on making maps that are uploadable back to the GPS? I have played around the MapEdit but I find having to draw each contour line to be way too tedious. Is there any way to simplify this process? I know there are now a few products out there from Bushnell and Delorme that take the "M" word (Manual) out of creating your own maps but as usual, that trade off comes at a price.

I have played around the MapEdit but I find having to draw each contour line to be way too tedious. Is there any way to simplify this process?

No need to trace…use computing power and existing data.

Get the digital elevation model (DEM) data from the USGS as a GeoTIFF for your area at: http://seamless.usgs.gov/

Download and install DEM2TOPO and IDL Virtual Machine
      Convert the DEM to contour lines in polish format (*.mp)
      Convert to Garmin *.img format using GPSMapEdit or cGPSMapper directly

Just receieved the Garmin 305 as a gift from the girl. Can’t wait to get it setup and try it out. Looks promising seeing how this will be my first GPS unit that I’ve [i:r4etr5uh]owned[/i:r4etr5uh].

All I use is the iPhone with the Motion X application. I had been thinking of the Edge 705. Is it worth it or should I look elsewhere.

I have 2 gps units……I bought the Garmin Zumo 550 for my motorcycle over a year ago….however it is to big to fit my MTB. I didn’t really care to use my iPhone with Motion X on the trails….I have to much information on the phone and don’t care to loose it somewhere in the woods, so I purchased the Garmin Edge 705 and so far I am impressed with the unit and the website that Garmin has available to Garmin users http://connect.garmin.com/
      …..there is a lot of map trails that others have posted that I can download then go to the trail and ride. I find trails that I didn’t know that was around…..

I currently own the Garmin Vista HCX. With a topo Canada card. I love it. But I don’t take it mtbing, I crash WAY to often. I bought one of the first in Western Canada. I got it for backcountry snowmobiling . But of course a few months later the Coloado came out and my good friend got it , and told me how great it was and the features his has and mine dosn’t 😈

The only draw back is that it comes with Mapsource, that isn’t compatible with mac’s, only PC’s. Anyone been able to get the mapsource to work with a Mac?

After a lot of research and asking the professionals here on ST I decided to go with the Garmin 60CSx. I am very happy with it and it has done everything that I have needed so far. It’s a bit large for biking but I like the bigger screen and buttons.
      The trouble comes when I get the info into the laptop and try to do anything with it, Im trying to teach myself to create and edit tracks, ect., not much luck yet, but Im trying! 😃
      I have purchased TOPOFUSION software which is great but Im finding its limited for detailed Alaskan maps, I will be using it more out in america over the coming winter. Yea Mapsource sucks and is really just a very basic map, my conclusion is the GPS unit is only half the equation as the software and base maps you have access too are equally as important.

Just one.
      Garmin Forerunner 305. Use it for multisport and it has the ANT+ function for linking to other wireless devices like shoe pods, cadence/speed sensors etc..
      I like to capture training loops and then race against yourself via the virtual partner and gauge your PRs.
      Being wrist mounted I can go from Swim to Bike and run without missing a beat and can synch it to 3 bikes for sensors etc.
      Mapping capture has to be done via Garmin Connect..screen doesn’t provide much more than bread crumbs to back track on.

Glad to see this thread coming back to life. I own 5 GPS units at the moment, 3 of which I use pretty regularly. My favorite for biking is the Edge 305, though I have used them all on the bike. If the question were "how many GPS units have you owned" that number would be closer to a dozen for me 😀

Speaking of software and online services AK_Dan and Suvacrew, not sure if you guys saw my post about GPSApp.net but it may be worth checking out. You can use the site to import data directly from your GPS, view maps, and edit everything online (more advanced editing tools are in the works).

I’m also blogging on GPSApp.net with tips for cleaning and managing GPS data. Not a whole lot on the blog right now but stay tuned!

"trek7k" wrote

Speaking of software and online services AK_Dan and Suvacrew, not sure if you guys saw my post about GPSApp.net but it may be worth checking out. You can use the site to import data directly from your GPS, view maps, and edit everything online (more advanced editing tools are in the works).

I’m also blogging on GPSApp.net with tips for cleaning and managing GPS data. Not a whole lot on the blog right now but stay tuned!

i’m checking out GPSApp.net TODAY. Garmin absolutely gutted the Motion Based subscription site (which needed no improvements) and the "new" Garmin Connect is pathetic as there is no faulty data correction nor ping corrections based upon Topo elevations etc.
      Thanks.

"Suvacrew" wrote

the "new" Garmin Connect is pathetic as there is no faulty data correction nor ping corrections based upon Topo elevations etc.
      Thanks.

GPSApp doesn’t have topo elevation correction *yet* but it’s in the works. Tools to delete stray track points *are* available but they’re sorta in beta right now. Give us a few more weeks and there will be much more to see and do…

Viewing 14 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.