Hotels and Bikes

Tagged: 

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author

Well, I am in Vail, but I find that my upscale hotel will not allow me to bring the bike into my room. They tell me that I must leave the bike on one of the bike racks that they provide throughout the facility – outdoors in plain sight of the street and passersby – or, as an alternative, I can check it with the concierge to be placed in the concierge closet and it can be removed upon leaving the resort.

I’m kinda bummed — over $200 a night, and I have to leave a $5000 bike sitting outside.

I cut a deal with a local shop to store it for me, but that limits its availability to his store hours. But its better than coming out in the morning to find my bike has a new owner.

I can’t just run down the street to another hotel. These are the days befor the pro-challenge race and just after the Leadvill 100 so the place is packed. No rooms available.

Is this a trend? Anyone else have trouble bringing their bikes into a hotel room?

I think its a problem with the current design trend of common entrance type motels. Whenever I travel with the bike I always look for an old school type motel were I can back up to the door. Some of em are dives, but my baby comes inside with me.

Don’t ask about bringing your bike inside. Check in and find the exit not by the desk. Many times you’ll have to be clever. Sometimes side entrances tell the desk when they are opened so be quick and they will not suspect. Check for video. Video makes it harder but two people walking side by side with the bike in the middle may not be spotted. Always get a ground floor room as elevators make it more challenging. Place your bag on top of the crossbar because luggage carts aren’t prohibited. Sneeky works so use it. 😄 Later,

I don’t stay in $200 a night hotels, and I’ve never had an issue 😆

Of course in Vail $200 a night is probably a bargain.

When I travel for business I’m always put up in really nice hotels. All of them have let me bring my bike in the room. After a long ride last spring in Palm Desert I actually rode the bike in the lobby and the lady at the front desk asked me to walk it in and I did of course 😕 Like fat_billy said, I’d use side entrances or be a little sneaky. I’m not one for confrontation, but if I was told I couldn’t bring the bike to my room, I’d be talkin’ to the manager for sure. There’s no way I’m leaving a few thousand dollar rental bike chained up outside. It gets snagged and tough luck for me! Plus, it’s not hurting anyone.

I’m headed back to California this fall for business. This time I reserved a Grand Cherokee so I’ll probably leave the bike in the car this time! That’s an option.

Try a less high dollar room @ http://www.motel6.com . Free Wi-Fi, free coffee and near a Waffle House. What else do you need? Just asking. 😄 Later,

Use the concierge desk. You’re paying for the room and it comes with it. Had the same problem in SF, turned out to not be a problem. I just asked for my bike any time I wanted to ride and didn’t have to drag it to the room.

One thing I’ve done since my Stumpjumer lives in my explorer is to thread a cable through the frame and wheels and lock it the steering wheel or whatever is solid enough.I still think getting the bike in the room with ya is best and I have snuck my bike in past hotel rules,I always go into situations like this without any plans to find out what the rules,just do it and do it while no one is looking,

In Moab several hotels have dedicated, locked MTB storage….you’d think Colorado would catch on.

Motel 6 is a little beneath me. 😆 I do Holiday Inn Express for the free hot breakfast, and you can usually bring your bike to the room. 😎

Yeah, unless your bike was super dirty and dripping I’d say that’s BS. It’s not going to damage anything or cause a mess so why the fuss? Seeing that your hotel is in a resort area I guess it’s reasonable to suspect they have a policy against bringing equipment into the rooms, especially slushy skis and snowboards.

I checked my bike with the front desk at the Elevation resort in Crested Butte last week and it was super convenient. The question is, should I have tipped the guy who brought my bike around when I picked it up?

After a late night ride earlier this summer we went to a bar here in town and the waitress said we couldn’t bring the bikes inside because it was against the health code. After assuring her our bikes posed no heath hazard she let us put them out of the way near the front since we didn’t have locks with us. 😀

Your maddness I now know why you are a good mountain biker. You stayed at a Holiday Inn. If you want a podium just stay there. Easy! 😄 Later,

Well…..

Guess what happens if you ignore the front desk and simply take the bike to the room via another entrance.

At this place, housekeeping has apparently been advised to report bikes in rooms and you get a nice little call to tell you to remove the bike or check out.

I am going to go to the travel advice website and post a note that this resort is not bike friendly. Little else to do. Right now the concierge has it — they tell me it can be checked once per visit.

I simply cannot understand how, in a community like Vail, where there are bikes literally everywhere, a business can make a decision to exclude them from there rooms. But its their place, and they can make the rules, no matter how arbitrary or caprecious.

But its otherwise a very nice place to stay and I recommend it highly to my non-cycling friends.

Oh wait, I don’t have any non-cycling friends.

I’ve been working at hotels for the past 6 years. Mainly as a Front Desk Manager. At my previous Hotel Property at Northstar Ski Resort, or the downhill resort many of you may know. We were a 5 star Timeshare at the base of the resort. With the money put into the room we didn’t allow anything in the room, no ski’s, boards or mtn bikes. We did not allow ski boots in the room and I even told people to take off their clip ins before walking into the rooms. But we had nice hardwood floors and these units were owned so there was reason to protect the rooms. We did however allow the roadbikes, which I am now more apart of living in Texas as the Mtn biking is pretty eh..
      I traveled for two days to get to my new place of work and stayed at two 4 star hotels, the first one I wheeled three bikes thru the lobby, two roadies and a Big burly Mtn Bike. The second, I talked with the Bellman and let him know that the bikes were going as they were worth more than the car. He didn’t even ask and took me right up the service elevator. But I also worked for the same hotel chain I stayed at on my way out to my new property.

We are talking Vail here, I mean talk about a Ritzy area. I have had no issues anywhere else, stayed at a Marriot in Vegas and walked by the front desk several times daily and nothing.

Working in hotels you need to try and just level with the people. They are people just like you and I and are just protecting the integrity of the property they work for, there is nothing wrong with that. I would go as far as telling someone you have a box full of blankets that you will take the extra care to wrap your bike and assure it doesn’t fall on anything. They have to make sure that walls aren’t scrached, floors aren’t scrapped, etc. There are people out there that will destroy a room with a bike even though you would think people would be more respectful than that.

I am not trying to complain by any means just giving a different perspective on a hotels choice. So if there is a bellman, offer a $20 and see where it gets you!! They will do anything for a buck.

"jwh321" wrote

At this place, housekeeping has apparently been advised to report bikes in rooms and you get a nice little call to tell you to remove the bike or check out.

I use the Do Not Disturb sign where ever I stay.

Old work habits die hard, but they can help you sleep in ;)

Break your bike down. Put it in a big dufflebag… Problem solved…

It’s kind of annoying to disassemble/re-assemble it every day on a multi-day trip though

"maddslacker" wrote

It’s kind of annoying to disassemble/re-assemble it every day on a multi-day trip though

Not as annoying as being checked out of your room against your will 😃

If I were forced into a situation in which I had no choice, I’d bag the bike. I would try to be proactive, however, and let my money do the talking and just room at a bike-friendly hotel.

I did a race on Saturday, the Friday night before we stayed at a nearby hotel. Five of us crammed into one room…and all the bikes came with us. We had to get a little creative since we needed room for the bikes and an air matress, but we made it work. We flipped a small table upside down and put a few bikes on it, and put one in the shower. 😃 We put everything back the way we found it before we left. No harm done.

They are providing space to park your bike, you have to park there. They won’t allow you to park your bike in the room. Some hotels have parking area where you can park your vehicle. You should book your room according to the services you require.

Im in sales. On the road lots brining my bike along. I just walk in the front door go right through the lobby with my rear hub buzzzzzzzzzzing. I have never ever had a problem. I mostly hear "cool bike"…. Right on the elevator and up to my room.

I only stay at Hilton Properties though. Hilton Rules.I cant say enough about how good that chain is. I stay at Hilton Garden Inns, Doubletrees, Embassy Suites and Hiltons. I’m only traveling in southern states. GA, AL, FL,MS ..peeps are way nicer down South Y’all..

"Spartan" wrote

Im in sales. On the road lots brining my bike along. I just walk in the front door go right through the lobby with my rear hub buzzzzzzzzzzing. I have never ever had a problem. I mostly hear "cool bike"…. Right on the elevator and up to my room.

I only stay at Hilton Properties though. Hilton Rules.I cant say enough about how good that chain is. I stay at Hilton Garden Inns, Doubletrees, Embassy Suites and Hiltons. I’m only traveling in southern states. GA, AL, FL,MS ..peeps are way nicer down South Y’all..

This makes me feel a bit better now. I will be going to Indianapolis a few times this year and will stay at the Embassy suites for a week at a time each visit. Work likes to spoil us when we go for training I guess! The training center is 4 miles from the hotel so I will be riding to work every day weather permiting that is! So I am happy to hear the hotel should be bike friendly. I aslo plant to hit up Brown County the weekend after each trip also!!!

"jwh321" wrote

Is this a trend? Anyone else have trouble bringing their bikes into a hotel room?

Yes this is normal, I work for CBMR Hotels here in Crested Butte. We started implementing this policy after many people would bang up walls with there bikes and even clean the bikes in the tubs! dirty stuff! Especially here where biking in the summer has just blown up in the past few years!

CP1
      "dgaddis" wrote

I did a race on Saturday, the Friday night before we stayed at a nearby hotel. Five of us crammed into one room…and all the bikes came with us. We had to get a little creative since we needed room for the bikes and an air matress, but we made it work. We flipped a small table upside down and put a few bikes on it, and put one in the shower. 😃 We put everything back the way we found it before we left. No harm done.

😮 😮 😮 😮 😮 😮 …. 😏

CP1
      "GimmeAraise" wrote

[quote="jwh321":2qwa2mk5]

Yes this is normal, I work for CBMR Hotels here in Crested Butte. We started implementing this policy after many people would bang up walls with there bikes and even clean the bikes in the tubs! dirty stuff! Especially here where biking in the summer has just blown up in the past few years![/quote:2qwa2mk5]
      Not yet, but I am very careful and use common sense when I do to alleviate any marks, damage, or any other issues in regards to what ‘GimmieAraise’ mentioned. Who the hell would clean or wash their damn bikes in a motel/hotel room/shower/tub?!?!?!? 😮 That is just insane and totally retarded…. 😆 😆 😏

I do not blame these motels/hotels implementing policies such as ‘GimmieAraise’ mentioned, and I to bring my bike/bikes in rooms myself, but I have respect and use common sense and leave the room as I checked in (with exception of normal room usage). However, the thought of cleaning a bike in any motel/hotel room is just retarded by far, or even storing a bike in a motel/hotel room tub or flipping furniture not belonging to them or having permission to do so is just no common sense. My family rents apartments and we would never deal with abuse as such to our property. In the long run, this falls under common sense and ethics which many have shortage of these days… 😆 .. 😏

Looking at the picture above reminds me of this.. 😆

"CP1" wrote

However, the thought of cleaning a bike in any motel/hotel room is just retarded by far, or even storing a bike in a motel/hotel room tub or flipping furniture not belonging to them or having permission to do so is just no common sense. My family rents apartments and we would never deal with abuse as such to our property. In the long run, this falls under common sense and ethics which many have shortage of these days… 😆 .. 😏

Looking at the picture above reminds me of this.. 😆

Just to be clear, we didn’t clean our bikes in the shower, we just stored one in the shower for the night. And when we flipped the table, ‘carefully turned it over’ is a better description. Everything was returned to it’s original place before we left, and nothing was damaged in any way.

I love how these old threads randomly pop up haha.

I think there are a lot filthier things in those hotel rooms than a little bike dirt (blacklight anyone?). If I go to a biking destination spot I would fully expect a hotel to accommodate my bike, even if it is locking it up in storage if I cannot put it in my vehicle (hard to do if you rent a Ford Festiva). Otherwise, I will happily give my money to a hotel that wants it. That being said, I am very careful with anything like that I want to bring in a room; it’s not cool to make housecleaning staff who make less than minimum wage clean up after a bunch of punks…precisely the people who have been setting a poor example for the rest of us.

CP1
      "delphinide" wrote

I think there are a lot filthier things in those hotel rooms than a little bike dirt (blacklight anyone?). If I go to a biking destination spot I would fully expect a hotel to accommodate my bike, even if it is locking it up in storage if I cannot put it in my vehicle (hard to do if you rent a Ford Festiva). Otherwise, I will happily give my money to a hotel that wants it. That being said, I am very careful with anything like that I want to bring in a room; it’s not cool to make housecleaning staff who make less than minimum wage clean up after a bunch of punks…precisely the people who have been setting a poor example for the rest of us.

+1 …. 😆

Viewing 27 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.