Hill technique for MTB racing?

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

I am about to ride in my first race as a Beginner. I recently read a blog by an Expert or Elite racer that he took all the big hills on foot. Is this something I need to think about? I know the course has this one big hill at the beginning that if I ride it my heart will be hammering and it will take me five minutes to recover.

Just wondering what you racers think are strategies for riding hills.

John

Walking hills is certainly a valid strategy. Dave Wiens does it in the Leadville 100 and he got second to Lance Armstrong this year. Then again, maybe if he stayed on the bike he would have won 😀

Suvacrew is absolutely right – walking uses different muscles so it makes sense when your climbing legs need a recovery.

"Jayers" wrote

I am about to ride in my first race as a Beginner. I recently read a blog by an Expert or Elite racer that he took all the big hills on foot. Is this something I need to think about? I know the course has this one big hill at the beginning that if I ride it my heart will be hammering and it will take me five minutes to recover.

Just wondering what you racers think are strategies for riding hills.

John

What distances does this blogger race typically? That just doesn’t seem like the ideal strategy for a cross-country race in my opinion, unless there are going to be some REALLY brutal hills later or a really long race distance ahead (the aforementioned Leadville 100 qualifies on both counts).

Typically, a cross-country race takes place over 15-25 miles worth of terrain, some of which will be fire road and some of which will be singletrack. They also typically end where they started, which should tell you that you’ll descend just as much height as you’ll ascend.

While this isn’t true for all cases, the XC races I’ve done typically have one big, brutal climb that lasts 20 minutes at most, usually more like 10. Then you descend (allowing for a little recovery). Then, you climb again and repeat. I don’t know your racecourse specifically, but here’s my prediction: If you DON’T hammer that climb, you’ll be WAY off the back. Unless you’re a monster on the downhills (or have 5 inches of travel front and rear), it’ll be extremely difficult to make up that ground on the downhill, particularly if the descent is on singletrack.

On the other hand, you know your limits and you know your racecourse. Be smart and race your strengths.

Thanks everyone for your replies! I had the race on Saturday and didn’t get a chance to see any of these replies before it, but it’s all great advice. Especially knowing what I know now.

I watched the Elite and Open riders have a go at the big hill and some walked it some rode it. Just like you all said. What made the issue more confusing was the course was wet and muddy and it rained during the race several times. Many uphills got too slick to ride up even.

The race was fun and I learned a lot, and with your advice I know even more know, so thanks!

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.