Help Deciding on a Bike

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

Ok, so I used to race BMX competitively but then I joined the military and moved to Maryland where there were very few opportunities for me to ride BMX. I bought a road bike and got used to riding that for 2 years, but just recently sold that when I moved down to Charleston, SC. I’ve been reading up on the area and there are 2-3 different trails within 30 min of my house (Marrington Plantation is 10 min away from me) and I’d like to pick up mountain biking since it’s closer to my roots with BMX.

I’m trying to decide on what bike (and really even what type of bike) to buy. From my research it seems like a 29er hardtail would be best for Marrington and the SC trails, but I move often in the military and will be going to a variety of places. Within the next year I’ll either be in southern Georgia, northwest Washington state, or upstate New York. I know those are quite different terrains and I’m lost as to what to buy.

A couple buddies of mine owned Yeti full suspension bikes when I rode BMX and they loved them. Everything I’ve read about Yeti online has been positive, but their new bikes are quite pricey. I could buy one, but I’d prefer to get a good deal on a used bike instead of a new one. I’ve found some 2010 Yeti’s on Ebay for around $1000. I’ve also looked at the Trek/Gary Fisher X-Caliber bikes. Basically, what I’m asking is, what kind of bike should I buy and do you have any suggestions for specific models?

Sorry for all the text.

The different locations you may be in really could make a difference what to look for. I personally would lean towards a cross country full suspension, which would be nice just about anywhere you will be riding. If I were in the market right now for a reasonably priced bike, I would look at a Airborne Hobgoblin. The bike is well equipped for the price range.

What kind of budget do you have for this?

Someone else actually just suggested the Airborne Goblin to me for the SC trails and I really liked what I read about it. If I went with a 29er hardtail would I seriously hurt myself in the future for where I’m planning on going?

I could spend the money for the hobgoblin but I’d rather only spend about the $1300 that the Goblin would come out to at the moment. If I waited a couple of weeks to a month I could buy the Hobgoblin easily.

There are people who ride hardtails at Whistler! It is all in how you ride it and learning on a hardtrail will teach you how to pick a smoother line, mostly because you have to!!! Either way a good rigid frame can be ridden close to any mortal mans trails. I ride with a lot of folks on really technical terrain and they ride single speed full rigid bikes!!!

I’ve ridden some more technical/rough trails with huge roots that kill you with a BMX bike before. It sucked and I’d rather not relive that if I can. How much smoother will a hardtail be than a single speed rigid?

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.