Getting A New Bike Today

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

I plan on heading up to the bike shop in a few hours (waiting on a buddy to get here so he can get his cannondale fixed) and I just had one last question or two. Ive really been looking at the Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc. I ride in Florida (alafia, balm boyette, carter road, etc) and was wondering what you guys’ opinion was about that decision. Im a college student on a budget and from what ive read im going to need to replace the front fork. However I know nothing about forks so I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction.

With an upgraded fork, is the specialized worth it? Or should I try looking at something else?

I wouldn’t worry about upgrading anything initially. If your going to spend $500-600 on a bike and another few hundred upgrading a fork, you might as well buy a higher level model with better components.

"fleetwood" wrote

I wouldn’t worry about upgrading anything initially. If your going to spend $500-600 on a bike and another few hundred upgrading a fork, you might as well buy a higher level model with better components.

Im not planning on upgrading right away, just kinda as I have some extra cash. The bike shop has the hardrock sport disc for under 500 new. I was wonering that after some time and upgrades, just how good can this bike be?

"maddslacker" wrote

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI272B15-Jamis+Dakar+Xc+Bike+09.aspx

Just something to think about…

Im assuming your suggesting this over the hardrock lol? My big question though is that I ride in Florida, there are some good down hill spots, but i do alot of climbing. Would an FS be better then a hardtail?

That’s a tough question. But the bottom line is that bike has better components than the hardrock, for the same price, so it’s definitely worth considering.

Buying mail-order (aka online) also means you get zero LBS support. Most shops will do tune ups for free on bikes you purchased from them. You’ll pay for anything you get done to a bike you bought elsewhere tho.

Not to mention most bike shops support the local riding scene. Jenson has probably never went to a work party at your local trails.

This is definitely true. Jenson actually supports local trails and stuff in California where they are, but if you aren’t in that area…

I bought a used frame from ebay and spec’ed out components for it over the winter. My LBS was very friendly and helpful installing the few things I didn’t want to do myself, and even gave me some guidance in component choice. It just depends what kind of relationship you have with them to begin with…

"maddslacker" wrote

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI272B15-Jamis+Dakar+Xc+Bike+09.aspx

Just something to think about…

maddslacker, you’ve been pushing this bike hard lately. Are you getting a kickback on referrals or something? 😃

Yeah, I don’t know if I could ever buy a bike online unless I have had a chance to demo it in person somewhere first. Then again, I can’t even bring myself to buy a pair of shoes online…

Nah, I just happened to see it in an email flyer from them and I can’t get over the price.

There’s a few Dakar owners here (I’m not one of them) who really like this bike, for what it is.

"dgaddis" wrote

Buying mail-order (aka online) also means you get zero LBS support. Most shops will do tune ups for free on bikes you purchased from them. You’ll pay for anything you get done to a bike you bought elsewhere tho.

Not to mention most bike shops support the local riding scene. Jenson has probably never went to a work party at your local trails.

i bought that bike online and for the price jenson sold it for, I could pay for tune-ups for the next 5 years to break even! I know it is a good thing to support the LBS, but here in DC, they wont do anything for free! it doesnt matter if I drop 3k on a bike they will do the break-in tune up and then I will pay from there on.

When money is limiting, its kind of hard to pass up the online deals. Also, LBS mark everything up so much! Its staggering how much cheaper the discount websites sell the parts for. I seriously had to pay over $8 for a tube when I needed one because I didnt want to wait for an online order! That is some serious mark-up!

I went ahead and got a 2010 Hardrock Disc (not the sport) from my local bike shop. They were really helpful and i think i got a good deal on it ($395.00). I figured why go with the sport when i plan on upgrading it more overtime anyways.

That’s an excellent price!

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.