Funny sealing tubeless bead story!

Tagged: ,

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author

So, I have a maxxis Aspen 2.1 exception series tire that I was mounting tubeless. It would not seal on my mavic SLR wheels. So I called a buddy to see how he mounted them. He said to use K-Y Jelly on the bead of the tire to create a temporary seal. I didn’t have any K-Y Jelly 😳 so I used petroleum jelly instead. It sealed right up!!! 😮

Have you guys ever heard of this?

"dozzerboy" wrote

So, I have a maxxis Aspen 2.1 exception series tire that I was mounting tubeless. It would not seal on my mavic SLR wheels. So I called a buddy to see how he mounted them. He said to use K-Y Jelly on the bead of the tire to create a temporary seal. I didn’t have any K-Y Jelly 😳 so I used petroleum jelly instead. It sealed right up!!! 😮

Have you guys ever heard of this?

That sounds sketchy. You just lubricated the bead with something that’s going to stay for a while…the tire may pop off when you hit a corner…

NoTubes recommends using soapy water to lubricate the tire when getting it mounted. That’s what I’ve always used when I needed to.

The jelly washed right off and was squeezed right out of the bead by the pressure. I tried the soapy water and it didn’t work…

I use tubes…they seal right up every time 😃

Yeah, I suppose of the two choices, KY is probably the better pick since it’s meant to be water soluble (at least that what I’ve heard 😀 ). Petroleum jelly should eventually wash off too, just might take longer.

😆 😆 😆 From now on, I will always have a tube of K-Y lying around in my shop! 😏

You’ll keep your K-Y lying around your shop??? By shop, you mean your bedside table I’m guessing. 😉

How did you know? 😉

Hell, that’s where I keep mine!

I have used Stan’s which works great…And sometimes in a pinch when my LBS is out I have a stand by product (Slime) that I have used sucessfully as well….I have a large container of that I use on my automobile in all my tires as a measure of caution.

Beading I use just soapy water as mentioned at the Stan’s website. I just use a high concentration of soap in the water.

I was thinking of trying to make my own mix and I am gonna play a bit here….I used do alot of fiberglass work repairing and building stuff..They have a product which is used to thicken the resins. Basically micro balls of glass….I was thinking of mixing them in with a latex mix and see what happens..

Seems like it would work. Let us know how it works out!

"GoldenGoose" wrote

You’ll keep your K-Y lying around your shop??? By shop, you mean your bedside table I’m guessing. 😉

i thought every bedroom came standard with a workbench? 😉

Viewing 11 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.