Cross Training?

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author

We’re having a gorgeous day today after about 48 hrs of rain/snow mix (glad I’m in the Northern Front Range!). Trails are a mess and won’t be rideable for a couple days – fortunately things do tend to dry out fairly quickly around here.

Went for a great road ride today and was wondering what do other people do when they can’t hit the trails? Road bike, Trainer (Ugh), Run (Mega-Ugh), Watch Golf, or just wait it out?

When I lived in NH I used to do a lot of x/c skiing, snowshoeing in the winter months and trail running when the trails had no snow. Hiking was year round and mt biking was also as long as the snowmobile trails were packed.

Since moving to GA I have done a lot more mt biking, little hiking and trail running. In the summer I do laps in the local pool. also i take a "Spin" class at the local YMCA.

cjm

Yoga man. It works on balance and flexibility. I do core power so it is a rotten ab work out, too. It’s also done a lot to strengthen my week foot. Prior to yoga getting "wrong footed" on technical climb always meant a foot fault or often, a bit of walking. Now I just get really awkward. The breathing exercises from yoga really help staying calm in intense sections and help recover after a high altitude grunt.

I 2nd the Yoga. I have the added benefit of being married to Pilates Instructor, so we have a complete Studio in the house, thus I’m partial to Pilates whether it be on a reformer, cadillac table or taking a mat class at your local club.
      As odd as this may sound, but I took up MTBing seriously as cross training for Tri, trail running, open water swimming, Surfing and SUP (stand up paddleboarding).
      SUP is a brutal core workout especially if your cranking into some waves and it forces you to use those micro muscles in your legs to stabilize we use when we are playing in the rough critical rocky stuff.
      I’ve found that the other sports benefited from MTBing being the cross trainer activity.
      Kia Kaha

I ride road bikes when I can’t get to the trail. I also like to paddle, and climb at the local climbing gym. I was given an indoor trainer for a present but unfortunately it mostly collects dust.

Play my girlfriend’s Wii Fit?

haha on a serious note, I hike when I can’t bike, if I can’t hike then I might go for a long jog through the city with a friend.

I tend to workout too, usually I like to do stay on the natural side of training, meaning I hate going inside to a gym to workout unless I have to.

I’ll hike (plenty of trails around me) or do body-weight exercises (pullups, pushups, dips, etc.) in my garage gym. I keep thinking about getting a road bike, but living in Oregon an MTB makes more sense, even for asphalt… 😮

"Mongoose" wrote
      Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

Sounds just like a Marine….."Semfer Fi"

lol…Army, actually…that was a loooong time ago 😮 😃 Same principle applies, though…especially to MTBing or training of any sort. Here’s another old favorite: "Pain is weakness leaving the body". Not sure I ever believed that one… 😛

Back on-topic, I’ve found that pullups are one of the best total-body exercises you can do…they work your back, arms, core, and hip flexors (to some extent). They certainly kick my tail, that’s for sure. 😮

I moved to Arizona, to combat the whole rain thing. 😃

Biking is my cross training. My true love is sleding/ snowboarding.

Cross Training for me would require actual training in the first place. Since I don’t plan on racing I just try to get outside and enjoy life whenever possible. MTB is my drug of choice but camping and taking my chocolate lab outside for a hike always puts a smile on my face.

If I were serious into training (and boy do I respect anyone that does) I think spinning class or yoga as suggested by others would be a great place to start.

i bike 2 to 3 hours daily and do pull ups everyday im actually trying to join the navy and look forward to boot camp cause bein 300 lbs sucked i love being 218 as it is and cant wait to be in the best physical condition of my life…

Way to go NismoFreak69! That is amazing. Keep it up.

Hike, kayak, or ski when possible. I have a couple of greenway rides close by that at least get you rolling. Some of my local rides spots dry off quickly so you don’t have to wait too long after the rain stops.

Even toying with the idea of a road bike. Some friends say it helps with endurance and I need that. I hate traffic though.

Gizmo – down from 300 lbs to the low 200’s – that is awesome. Keep up the good work 😎 Nephew just got back from Paris Island – man he is looking good.

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

Gizmo – down from 300 lbs to the low 200’s – that is awesome. Keep up the good work 😎

woops Nismofreak69 😳 bad memory and spelling. CCR

"NismoFreak69" wrote

i bike 2 to 3 hours daily and do pull ups everyday im actually trying to join the navy and look forward to boot camp cause bein 300 lbs sucked i love being 218 as it is and cant wait to be in the best physical condition of my life…

Man that is AWSOME I’m down to 205-210ish from about 245ish, my goal is the 165-175, thats why I got back on the bike and eating better. Anyway congrats.

Viewing 15 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.