Car Pool

Viewing 65 reply threads
  • Author

With gas prices getting close to three bucks a gallon, I was wondering if anyone in the Parker,Co area would want to do some car pooling. I like to ride places like the air force academy and buffalo creek. I have not been up around boulder or fort collins.

Your best bet is to get with club. Both Denver BOMB and International Christian Cycling have scheduled rides all season in the Front Range area, and off season as weather allows. I ride with both and they are great about car pooling.

"propwash" wrote

With gas prices getting close to three bucks a gallon, I was wondering if anyone in the Parker,Co area would want to do some car pooling. I like to ride places like the air force academy and buffalo creek. I have not been up around boulder or fort collins.

I’m in Parker and would be interested. What days & times, and how often are you thinking about? I have not ridden AFA or Buffalo Creek, but I have ridden Heil, Hall, and White Ranch once each. I really enjoy Devil’s Backbone/Blue Sky and Coyote Ridge/Rimrock/Indian Summer near FTC. Also, I DO have a current state parks pass on my ‘Ru if Lake Pueblo interests you…

I was at Lake Pueblo yesterday and there are three parking spots that allow trail access without needing a parks pass.

Drive about a mile past the marina entrance and look for a red cattle gate on the right. A little beyond that there’s a dirt parking lot on the left, across from a section of guardrail. Finally, there is another red gate on the right about 1/2 mile further. The second two get my vote because you can end with Quattro Sinko and pop out at your car.

All of the above have trail access into the south shore network.

Where that parks pass does come in handy is at Golden Gate Canyon State Park.

"maddslacker" wrote

I was at Lake Pueblo yesterday and there are three parking spots that allow trail access without needing a parks pass.

True, but if I already have a parks pass, why not make use of it? The South Shore and Conduit Trails both start right there in the parking lot. Plus, I have heard from several others that a vehicle might be a bit safer parked directly in front of the campground office as opposed to the red gate. Not that I keep valuables in my car while I’m out riding, but I still don’t want some knuckle-head busting in and rooting around before they figure out that there’s nothing to take…

That’s why you don’t lock the car…no sense having stuff stolen and a broken window. 😉

And I’m not even kidding. A friend broke the latch on the rear gate of my car last fall and I haven’t been able to lock it since.

"maddslacker" wrote

That’s why you don’t lock the car…no sense having stuff stolen and a broken window. 😉

And I’m not even kidding. A friend broke the latch on the rear gate of my car last fall and I haven’t been able to lock it since.

Yeah, I don’t lock my car in such situations either. But what’s to stop a low-life from vandalizing your vehicle (locked or not) because you didn’t leave them anything good?

But what’s to stop a low-life from vandalizing your vehicle (locked or not) because you didn’t leave them anything good?

That’s exactly what happened to me over the summer when I left my (junky) car unlocked at the Home Depot. There was nothing inside of any value so after rummaging through the glove box and center console, the thieves decided to take my Yakima roof rack system, trays and all. Yep, a roof rack is much easier to remove if you can open the doors to remove the clips. 😀

Heh, you needed motivation to get a Thule anyway…mine locks to the factory roofrails on my station wagon.

I’m in Castle Rock but would be in for a Carpool, NTM I have not been out to BC in a loooooong time.

British Columbia? We going to Whistler? 😃

"maddslacker" wrote

British Columbia? We going to Whistler? 😃

LOL Hell yeah! Where did you want to carpool to? BC = Buffalo Creek. Sorry

Hey this sounds great, I would love to go up to fort collins for some riding. Right now I can only ride on the weekends, until the days get longer. I have been wanting to go to pueblo as well, I used to do alot of jet skiing and camping there.

"propwash" wrote

Hey this sounds great, I would love to go up to fort collins for some riding. Right now I can only ride on the weekends, until the days get longer. I have been wanting to go to pueblo as well, I used to do alot of jet skiing and camping there.

With work and family, I’m pretty much restricted to weekends too; at least until the end of the school year! Oh, and I do have March 19-27 off for Spring Break.

But you, me, and funrover should get together soon for a weekend ride. Let’s keep an eye on trail conditions (especially Pueblo this time of year) and maybe we can put something together. A last thought: muddy conditions are more of a deterrent to me than cold weather.

pueblo sounds good. Its warmer there.

"propwash" wrote

pueblo sounds good. Its warmer there.

I’m keeping an eye on the conditions for Pueblo.

[url:245wz5mm]http://www.lakepueblotrails.org/doc_display.asp?dpath=Arch_Control&Mitem=324[/url:245wz5mm]

This weekend might be a bit too early for it to melt AND dry up, but it doesn’t hurt to keep checking.

I was there this past weekend. It was perfect.

*BUMP!*
      Hey funrover & propwash! Trail reports from the SoCo Trail Builders website:

Trail Conditions: 2/22/2011.
      The trails are mostly dry.
      Expect … Excellent conditions.

Plus, weather.com is predicting sunny and in the 50s all week for Pueblo: [url:2y9h8kgc]http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/USCO0323[/url:2y9h8kgc]
      If the weather holds, I’m thinking of heading down this weekend. Are you guys interested?

P.S. After consulting the wife, apparently I am ONLY available on Sunday.

Hey Nanook,I think I can make it Sunday,hopefully funrover and propwash(both of which I have ridden with)can make it too,I should have both their phone numbers so I can make a call if they don’t respond here on st.

"nanook" wrote

P.S. After consulting the wife, apparently I am ONLY available on Sunday.

Been there done that!

Hey when, where and what time do you guys plan on riding. I think most of you guys are north of me. I’m in the springs. I’m def open sunday morning.

Are we talking this Sunday? What time and what trail?

"BUDDAH" wrote

Hey when, where and what time do you guys plan on riding. I think most of you guys are north of me. I’m in the springs. I’m def open sunday morning.

"maddslacker" wrote

Are we talking this Sunday? What time and what trail?

Yes, I am thinking about riding @ Pueblo this Sunday (2/27/11). That is, as long as the weather holds up!

As far as which trails, I had not really thought about it yet. I’m not into the super-technical stuff, but I do enjoy a little variety. Also, I usually ride solo; so I don’t really know how I would match up with other riders in terms of ability/endurance.

However, I am definitely in favor of getting an early start in the morning. If it was just me, I would probably leave my house in Parker early enough to have "rubber-side down" at about 8:00am. I am a school teacher, so I’m up early regardless of the day. I’m willing to be a little flexible on start for the sake of others, but I would prefer to be home late afternoon/early evening.

"steve32300" wrote

Hey Nanook,I think I can make it Sunday,hopefully funrover and propwash(both of which I have ridden with)can make it too,I should have both their phone numbers so I can make a call if they don’t respond here on st.

Please feel free to keep them in the loop!

I’m out Sunday morning, Sat or Sun afternoon work for me.

South Side Lake Pueblo is your best bet trail-wise. It has a little of everything for terrain.

re: trails…see today’s post on the blog. 😎

@ maddslacker: Yeah, I guess I wasn’t too clear; I assumed people knew I was talking about riding the South Shore system.

@everyone: I have ridden the South Shore @ Lake Pueblo a few times. I still have not tried every trail there but a decent number of them. I am definitely more of a trail/XC rider than anything else. My favorite day of riding @ Lake Pueblo (so far) consisted of the following: out on South Shore -> out Pedro’s Point -> back via Outer Limits & Pronghorn -> down Waterfall -> up Cuatro Sinko -> out Arkansas Point -> back on Rollercoaster -> down The Edge & Stonehenge -> up Rock Canyon -> around on Rodeo Ridge, Rodeo, & The Duke -> Conduit back to South Shore and back to the parking lot.

I have yet to ride Voodoo Loop, but would like to. Also, I would like to try a few more of the canyon trails, but more likely the ones listed as "Technical, can be ridden both directions" as opposed to those listed as "Steep, Rocky. Recommended for downhill." Of course the trail system is conducive to splitting up at the top of the canyons and meeting back up at the bottom depending on riding preferences…

I figured south shore wasn’t positive though. As of now I am open for sunday. Question is would I be able to get picked up? I can drive and carry upto 5 peeps and 5 bikes but it wouldn’t make sense for em to drive up north just to dive back south 😄 if I can get atleast 2 more huys to ride with me then it’s worth me driving…
      Oh yeah I like to start at the butt crack of dawn also…

Keep me posted…

I have work Sunday, won’t get off till 2 or 2:30. I guess I am out. Bummer

Same for me, Funrover.

We should stage a protest….at Green Mountain.

I will be at Green Tomorrow. If conditions are good and I can get a free pass from the better half I will do that

I will be working tomorrow, and Friday too, for good measure.

"BUDDAH" wrote

I figured south shore wasn’t positive though. As of now I am open for sunday. Question is would I be able to get picked up? I can drive and carry upto 5 peeps and 5 bikes but it wouldn’t make sense for em to drive up north just to dive back south 😄 if I can get atleast 2 more huys to ride with me then it’s worth me driving…
      Oh yeah I like to start at the butt crack of dawn also…

Keep me posted…

I think a pick-up for you could be arranged. I only have a ’98 Outback Sport, but it has two Yakima HighRollers on top. I can usually fit a third bike inside upright, with the front wheel off and seat dropped, on the smaller side of the 60/40 fold-down seats. So max. capacity for me would be 3 bikes & 3 riders with still some room for gear. Not [i:rw2gdry5]luxurious[/i:rw2gdry5] amounts of room, but it works in a pinch.

The only thing I’m worried about now is that the 5-day forecast for Pueblo has been updated to a "Few Showers, Chance of rain: 30%".

I can make sunday work!

Does anyone know of any chairty rides for this summer? I was looking at doing the 12 hours of snowmass.

"propwash" wrote

I can make sunday work!

@BUDDAH
      & propwash: So, if the Pueblo weather holds, how early do you guys want to go? I would be willing to leave my place (just north of Franktown) as early as 6:00am if necessary.

@ I like to get an early start anytime I ride, specially when it requires some driving to get to the trails… Tell me what time and I’ll be ready..

I am up by 600 630 am. So early works for me. Weather is showing 57 right know!!! whooa! 😃

"BUDDAH" wrote

@ I like to get an early start anytime I ride, specially when it requires some driving to get to the trails… Tell me what time and I’ll be ready..

"propwash" wrote

I am up by 600 630 am. So early works for me. Weather is showing 57 right know!!! whooa! 😃

Okay, let’s start talking locations and vehicles.

@propwash
      : I’m down in Pinery Glen and usually take Pradera to Crowfoot Valley over to I-25. However, where would be good place to meet up for you?

@Buddah
      , is there an easy location on the I-25 corridor to meet with you?
      I am willing take my ‘Ru as long as everything fits, plus I have a valid state parks pass on it. But if steve32300 is still interested, I would not have room for a fourth…

Nanook,you can go ahead and plan the car pool without me,I’m still keeping an eye on my radar as to wether or not I’ll be able to make it,I’ll just have to drive myself if I end up goin.

I could easily ride down to the Fillmore exit to meet with you guys.
      just a fyi in regards to weather.

http://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/Pu … 0323?role=

nanook, I could meet you at the swimming pool parking lot there in the glenn! I have a buddy that lives there.

"propwash" wrote

nanook, I could meet you at the swimming pool parking lot there in the glenn! I have a buddy that lives there.

That would be great!

"BUDDAH" wrote

I could easily ride down to the Fillmore exit to meet with you guys.

Are you thinking about the west side of I-25? Either the Conoco, the Circle K, or the Waffle house?

Lastly, do we have a deal-breaker weather-wise? As of now, I am not [i:yv9wocwz]too[/i:yv9wocwz] concerned by "Isolated T-storms & 30% chance of Rain". But, if the outlook gets worse, what would be your cut-off point?

Best bet I think would be the circle K, that way its just a matter of exiting loading up and getting back on the I-25. As far as weather goes, I don’t mind a little water as long as it’s not a monsoon 😄 What would be the cuttoff piont? Good question, I don’t know…

"BUDDAH" wrote

Best bet I think would be the circle K, that way its just a matter of exiting loading up and getting back on the I-25. As far as weather goes, I don’t mind a little water as long as it’s not a monsoon 😄 What would be the cuttoff piont? Good question, I don’t know…

@BUDDAH
      : Circle K it is! Plus, I checked the forecast again and it has been improved to "Partly Cloudy, 20% Chance of Rain"!

@propwash
      : What time do you want to meet? I was thinking maybe 6:30am?

How was it? Pics or video….or it didn’t happen!

"maddslacker" wrote

How was it? Pics or video….or it didn’t happen!

It was good! Trails were in great shape and we ended up putting in more miles than either of us intended. I am a bit achy & sore today!

However, I forgot my camera on the kitchen counter on my rush to get out the door on time! Will a GPS log suffice? [url:1rupg9up]http://connect.garmin.com/activity/70510483[/url:1rupg9up]

Wow, you guys did the big loop too…nice!

I was a litlle sore yesterday! It looks like this weekend is going to be another good one. I can make sunday if anyone else is up for it ! 😃

"propwash" wrote

I was a litlle sore yesterday! It looks like this weekend is going to be another good one. I can make sunday if anyone else is up for it ! 😃

I could probably make Sunday as well. Still need to check with my better half though…

"propwash" wrote

Does anyone know of any chairty rides for this summer? I was looking at doing the 12 hours of snowmass.

check out this web site, I plan on riding the one set for Woodland Park in May. They have a 14mile mtb route as well as some road rides 50 and 86mile…

http://tour.diabetes.org/site/PageServe … C_homepage

Thanks to propwash for introducing me to the Falcon Trail down at the USAFA. Very fun clockwise run, I really enjoyed the twisty parts and will be back to try and clean that uphill rock section. So close on the second try, but I have a pretty good mark on my hip where the nose of my saddle whacked me! I can’t believe I was able to bail and stay off the ground! 😃

[url:4cfincn9]http://connect.garmin.com/activity/71703687[/url:4cfincn9]

Yes the falcon trail is a blast! i’ve only rode it counter clockwise, don’t think I would try it clockwise doesn’t seem as much fun. Still one heck of a ride. After the recent snow it should be nice and tack in some areas… Hmmm maybe this weekend..

Clockwise is fun too.

I down for this saturday morning! 😃

I have to stick close to home this Saturday. I might get out early to hit Ridgeline (rubber meets dirt @ 7am), but I have to be home around 9am. If I’m lucky, I might shake loose to ride Hidden Mesa late in the afternoon as well.

I can’t start riding till after 11am, that’s when the boss(wifey) comes home.. 😆

"BUDDAH" wrote

I can’t start riding till after 11am, that’s when the boss(wifey) comes home.. 😆

That’s also why I have to be home by 9, hell hath no fury like a wife who misses her yoga class! 😮

"nanook" wrote

[quote="BUDDAH":2nmxqpwh]I can’t start riding till after 11am, that’s when the boss(wifey) comes home.. 😆

That’s also why I have to be home by 9, hell hath no fury like a wife who misses her yoga class! 😮[/quote:2nmxqpwh]

Amen bro 😆 😆 btw I give mad props to any woman who does yoga, cause let me tell tht is by far the hardest thing I have ever done physically. It’s part of the P90X work out..OUCH!

planing a trip to moab.April 29th to may 1st

I’m already there, with a group, 4/27 – 5/1. We currently have one bunk open in our cabin at KOA…

Ive never been to moab, Whats a good camping spot along the colorado river? I was thinking about leaving thursday night and hit the trails in fruita on friday and then go on to moab.

Thanks for the info maddslacker,that was helpful. sense i have never been there I was not sure on what to expect. I was thinking about flying there, but I kinda want my truck to sleep in !

I have done it both ways, but driving is the way to go. Plan on 6 hours, AND you have transportation once you get there. (Not to mention getting your bike there)

A good place to camp that’s free is right by Bartlett Wash but get a map to get there as it’s dirt roads with a few turns to find it. If summer is close there’s biting flies there.
      Bartlett is a great place to start a Moab adventure because the slickrock is perfect for learning to ride the rock. The place is as easy or as hard as your want to make it and just a change of direction changes the difficulty. Tons of great trails, if coming when it’s hot just head to the LaSalle Mountains, east of town.
      After you’ve had your fill, then head to St George, personally I think the riding’s better. From Little Creek, Gooseberry, Brianhead shuttles to Flying Monkey there’s something for everyone.

"abegold" wrote

A good place to camp that’s free is right by Bartlett Wash but get a map to get there as it’s dirt roads with a few turns to find it. If summer is close there’s biting flies there.

Also near Monitor/Merrimac, off of Mill Creek Rd.

Viewing 65 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.