Boulder, CO End of May

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

I’ll be staying in Boulder, CO for about a week for a family vacation.

I’d rather spend my time riding than driving (so no Fruita or Moab 😢) but an hour or two drive to a trailhead would be doable.

Aside from Valmont Bike Park (I’ll be hitting that at least twice while there), what trails do everyone suggest?

Hall Ranch in Lyons (next Door) is a must!!! Heil Ranch is also nice. Make the trip up to Curt Gowdy (1 1/2 hrs) and Buffalo Creek- doesn’t matter how far. These 4 alone would be amazing, and if you have time head south to Colorado Springs for too many trails to mention. You’re going to love Valmont, what a great spot, best thing in Boulder. Walker Ranch in Boulder is pretty nice. For such a great outdoor city, it really does not have the depth of Mtb trails, so be willing to travel for a true Colorado experience

"Gdb49" wrote

Hall Ranch in Lyons (next Door) is a must!!! Heil Ranch is also nice. Make the trip up to Curt Gowdy (1 1/2 hrs) and Buffalo Creek- doesn’t matter how far. These 4 alone would be amazing, and if you have time head south to Colorado Springs for too many trails to mention. You’re going to love Valmont, what a great spot, best thing in Boulder. Walker Ranch in Boulder is pretty nice. For such a great outdoor city, it really does not have the depth of Mtb trails, so be willing to travel for a true Colorado experience

Good recommendations here. Also, Devils Backbone/Blue Sky/Horsetooth Reservoir area (massive system of interconnected singletrack) up near Loveland and Fort Collins is good, and Dakota Ridge down in Denver is great for a tech ride. White Ranch in Golden is a good time, and shouldn’t be too far, either.

Thanks for the recommendations!

I’ve hit Curt Gowdy and Buffalo Creek on a previous road, definitely worth the trip on those! I looked at both of the Ranch’s, thanks for confirming my suspicions 😃

I live within a day’s or so drive from Curt Gowdy, but I’ll probably hit Buffalo Creek again.

I’ll check the Loveland/Fort Collins area too. There are just so many trails in CO (not a bad thing!) that I didn’t know where to look outside of Boulder.

Didn’t look like anyone mentioned Apex Park (up Chimney Gulch, down Enchanted Forest!) in Golden, that’s one of my favorites 😃

Surprised nobody mentioned Betasso Preserve just West of Boulder. Great place to ride, and should be dried out by then.

End of May is still iffy in the high country. Check to see if Sourdough/South St Vrain/Buchanan Pass are dry. If so, head for the hills (not far up the canyon from Boulder). These are quintessential Colorado Rocky Mountain trails. Awesome pine forests, gorgeous scenery, lots of rocks, and many, many miles of killer singletrack.

"MTBMike4111" wrote

Surprised nobody mentioned Betasso Preserve just West of Boulder. Great place to ride, and should be dried out by then.

I just watched a video on Betasso Preserve here on singletracks. It has been added to the list!

"skibum" wrote

End of May is still iffy in the high country. Check to see if Sourdough/South St Vrain/Buchanan Pass are dry. If so, head for the hills (not far up the canyon from Boulder). These are quintessential Colorado Rocky Mountain trails. Awesome pine forests, gorgeous scenery, lots of rocks, and many, many miles of killer singletrack.

Thanks for the tips, skibum!
      Sorry to hear about the snow though. It’s probably about the same in MT. Itching to hit Bender Creek and Pilgrim Creek, but they probably need a few more weeks to dry out…and hitting the creek crossing during spring melt are both COLD and DEEP!

"skibum" wrote

Thanks for the tips, skibum!
      Sorry to hear about the snow though. It’s probably about the same in MT. Itching to hit Bender Creek and Pilgrim Creek, but they probably need a few more weeks to dry out…and hitting the creek crossing during spring melt are both COLD and DEEP![/quote]

Yeah, I generally waited until August to hit Pilgrim. Getting swept away by Belt Creek is no joke 😮

Shoot me a note as time gets near–I may have to travel in late May, but there’s a few trails around Boulder still on my wish list (White Ranch, Walker Ranch, Miller Rock, Bobcat Ridge) that I’d be glad to hit if I’m available.

"mtbgreg1" wrote

[quote="Gdb49":2aj6vn3n]Hall Ranch in Lyons (next Door) is a must!!! Heil Ranch is also nice. Make the trip up to Curt Gowdy (1 1/2 hrs) and Buffalo Creek- doesn’t matter how far. These 4 alone would be amazing, and if you have time head south to Colorado Springs for too many trails to mention. You’re going to love Valmont, what a great spot, best thing in Boulder. Walker Ranch in Boulder is pretty nice. For such a great outdoor city, it really does not have the depth of Mtb trails, so be willing to travel for a true Colorado experience

Good recommendations here. Also, Devils Backbone/Blue Sky/Horsetooth Reservoir area (massive system of interconnected singletrack) up near Loveland and Fort Collins is good, and Dakota Ridge down in Denver is great for a tech ride. White Ranch in Golden is a good time, and shouldn’t be too far, either.[/quote:2aj6vn3n]

Forgot about Fort Collins- don’t know how it’s my home towm. Devils Backbone is a great one, Also hit Horsetooth Mtn Park for Wathen and Sawmill, both are awesome trails. Wathen is too short to travel for, but might be the funnest mile and a half you’ll ride and if you’re already in the area it’s a must ride. Lung buster to get there, 2 mile fire road from hell, but worth the pain.

"skibum" wrote

Yeah, I generally waited until August to hit Pilgrim. Getting swept away by Belt Creek is no joke 😮

Shoot me a note as time gets near–I may have to travel in late May, but there’s a few trails around Boulder still on my wish list (White Ranch, Walker Ranch, Miller Rock, Bobcat Ridge) that I’d be glad to hit if I’m available.

AUGUST?! Man, I was hoping July would be safe. But if I wait until then I suppose that’ll give me time to focus on the Enduro I’m helping with the second weekend of August.

Will do on shooting you a PM as it gets closer.

"Gdb49" wrote

Forgot about Fort Collins- don’t know how it’s my home towm. Devils Backbone is a great one, Also hit Horsetooth Mtn Park for Wathen and Sawmill, both are awesome trails. Wathen is too short to travel for, but might be the funnest mile and a half you’ll ride and if you’re already in the area it’s a must ride. Lung buster to get there, 2 mile fire road from hell, but worth the pain.

So hit Wathen while at Horsetooth, got it!

——–

I found out Golden Bike shop will be having a group ride on the Wednesday that I’ll be down there, so I’m going to plan to hit that too!

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.