A gary fisher bike

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

So i got a new bike, its a gary fisher sugar 3+ 2002. i went from a mongoose from walmart to this, so i think this bike is like a revolutionary change. I was just wondering if this is a good bike or not and if anyone could tell me if they have had any experience with this bike. You know the pros and the cons. also is gray fisher a good brand bike im kinda new to the mountain biking world so i wouldnt know.

To answer your questions, yes. It is a great bike for that year, and can hold its own today. Fisher is usually mentioned as being one of the founders of the mountain biking movement, and produces some great rigs. I have an ’01 Sugar with an upgraded wheelset and disc brakes added, and a fox fork makes it a pretty quick and efficient rig.

I haven’t had many issues, and the only limitation I have found is the ability to upgrade to larger tires. The 2.1’s are a pretty tight fit on the back end, and I don’t think a 2.3 would fit, but I may measure it and try anyways at some point. It has been a great bike for me.

I have another Fisher, a 29er hardtail and am just as happy with that one too.

Your Fisher Sugar may be a quantum leap from what you had. They have a pretty basic and easy linkage to maintain.
      Limited travel as it’s an XC rig first and foremost, they make for great climbing, but can get overwhelmed easily on steep technical descents. They are nimble in tight quick situations due to the steep head angle, but at speeds over 30..they get twitchy.
      I still keep my Sugar 1 with B-Link carbon stays around as a back-up on race day or guest bike. It can still hold it’s own on a sprinting XC rolling course and is light even by today’s standards at under 24LBS.
      Enjoy it, if it doesn’t have disc, do yourself a favor and upgrade to at least mechanical but hydraulic will be optimal.
      My bike is set with 2.1 tires with plenty of clearance.
      Chain suck is a problem with the Sugars from day one..as soon as the drivetrain gets any substantial wear the chain will wrap around the BB.
      Front travel is limited to 80-100 and rear is apprx 70mm-90mm?? Makes for an efficient platform with enough rear travel to take those edges off.
      Enjoy,
      http://www.singletracks.com/mountain-bi … 3Asuvacrew

Well i bought it from a guy used and he said the first day it had a chain suck so he took it to a bike shop and had everything messed with and tightened so that it wouldnt do that. Also every 3-4 rides or so i spray some lubricant on the chain just incase. my tires are 2.25 and i have no problem with them, besides yesterday when the tube popped and i had to hike 5 miles back to my car 😢 . Also i was thinking about trying to upgrade my brakes, but can you tell me cause i dont know, can i upgrade my breaks to disc breaks? because i figured i could just wasnt 100% on it or how to do it.

As long as you have the caliper mounts on your frame / fork you can upgrade to disc brakes, however you also have to have a hub that is compatitable with disc brakes as well, now I’m not too familiar with Gary Fisher bikes, so I couldn’t tell you if you have the mounts or not.

Also depends on if you want mechanical or hydraulic disc brakes. If you lean towards the mech, then you just need new cables, not new levers. But if you go with hydro, then you need to get a new brake set, with levers, fluid, cables etc etc. I personally think that right there is a lot of money just to upgrade to disc brakes, you are probably better off using v-brakes until you are ready to buy a better big. IMO.

I think this thread kind of explains some of it. I haven’t read it, just saw the subject.

http://www.singletracks.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=2565

And please note: there is nothing wrong with a well-tuned set of v-brakes with good pads. They will stop you securely, safely and consistently.

No there is nothing wrong with the v-brakes but i go though alot of river beds were i ride and that gets them wet and you cant brake very good. also thanks for the link and knowledge Asfyxiate i havent read the link yet but i will soon. 😀

Yeah, the creek crossings and rain are what finally swayed me to disc myself.

ya once those wheels get wet and the brakes get wet those breaks dont work to well.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.