Length: 23 mi (37 km)
Elevation: +402/336 ft
Total: 280 riders
Mountain Biking Northshore Trail
#5 of 277 mountain bike trails in Texas
The most well-known and most used trail in the entire metroplex. This is an old motorcross trail that was first used to cycle on by Tom Deans, a long-time DORBA trail steward. The trail is ONE WAY now, going counter clockwise. This trail runs between Rockledge Park and then west, past Twin Coves Park on the north shoreline of Lake Grapevine. Total of 22.5 glorious miles of multi-terrain, multi-skill-level trail. The East side loops 1-4 (east from MADD Shelter) are good for intermediate riders while the West side loops 5-7 (west from MADD Shelter) are considerably more technical. There are several "rock gardens" on this side, very technical to ride through. Watch out for hikers and other bikers speeding around bends. An average of 800 bikers visit per week, so be extra careful!!
(Copied from Dorba.org)
First added by blakeovard on Jul 18, 2007. Last updated May 11, 2020. → add an update
Before you go
- Drinking water: unknown
- Lift service: unknown
- Night riding: yes
- Pump track: unknown
- Restrooms: unknown
- Fat bike grooming: unknown
- E-bikes allowed: unknown
- Fee required: unknown
This trail information is user-generated. Help improve this information by suggesting a correction.
There are 5 main trailheads; Murrell Park MADD Shelter, Lakeside, Boy Scout Camping Area, Twin Coves Park, and Rockledge Park. The MADD Shelter, Lakeside and Boy Scout Camping Area Trailheads are FREE to enter, trail map and information in kiosk at MADD shelter trail head.
1. Murrell Park MADD Shelter: From FM 2499, turn west on FM 3040. Take your first left onto McKamy Creek Road. When the road ends at Simmons, turn left, keep going till you enter park. At the stop sign at the park entrance (gatehouse/guardshack), turn right, go down road 1/2 mile and turn right on Green Oaks Drive, this takes you straight to the trailhead. MADD shelter is on Google maps, this is recommended use for directions.
2. Lakeside: Address: Edgmere Road. From FM 2499, take Lakeside Parkway west to traffic circle, stay on Lakeside (left), to next traffic circle turn right on Edgemere Road, bike entrance, Sunset Point boardwalk (Google maps) off Edgemere Road, trail head on the right. Limited parking is on trail side of street.
3. Boy Scout Camping Area: Address: 2908 North Park Drive. From 2499, take Lakeside Parkway west to traffic circle, turn right on Sandy Lane, turn right on Heritage Lane, Heritage turns into McPherson Lane after you cross Canongate Drive, turn right on Elmwood Drive, turn left on North Park Drive and follow the road to the trailhead parking lot. Please do not park in front of either of the swinging gates (they have signs).
4. Twin Coves Park: Fee to enter park by vehicle Address: Twin Coves Park Rd. (Google Maps) RV park managed by The Town of Flower Mound is now open as of 7/7/17. From FM 2499, turn west on FM 3040. Take your first left onto McKamy Creek Road. When the road ends at Simmons, turn right. Turn left on Wichita Trail. The park entrance will be on the left and minimal free parking is almost immediately on the left before officially entering pay station at park just down the road.
5. Rockledge Park: Fee to enter park by bicycle or vehicle. Rockledge park is located at Long Prairie Road, Address: 3600 Pilot Point, Grapevine, TX 76051
(Copied from Dorba.org)