Your Thoughts on the Kona Four

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

Hey guys, im new to the forum here and i was wondering if anyone has riden a kona four around here. Im looking to pick one up this weekend and i want to make sure im getting everything that im going to be paying for. I have only demo’d it around town so i havent got the singletrack feel of it.

cjm

Kona uses a rocker arm four bar design. This design is an accomplished pedaler but suffers greatly from brake jacking. Going for an XC bike, brake jacking probably isn’t going to be deal breaker. Rocker Arm Four Bar, like most other Four Bar designs, is less expensive because you aren’t charged some fee to use a patented axle path or linkage. Durability and price along with predictable performance make rocker arm four bar the suspension design for me.

Kona makes this frame from scandium. Scandium is lighter and more rigid than 6061 or 7001 aluminum. Lighter is self explanatory. More rigid means more power from the pedals to the rear wheel. I don’t know if this one percent or ten percent increase of power. You would probably have to ask a metallurgist. There are some disadvantages to more rigid metal compositions, but they probably won’t manifest on an XC bike.

Kona is an pretty solid company as well. I’ve popped a few questions over to there tech staff in the past. They responded with quickly with intelligent and to the point answers. With some other bike companies getting answers is like pulling teeth. Their warranty leaves a bit to be desired, but there is far worse out there.

Hope this helps you out.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.