Yamato Scrub in Boca Raton – MTB trails?

Tagged: 

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author

I live in East Boca Raton, FL which means I have to drive at least 30 minutes to get to the closest trails (Quiet Waters). I also work near the Yamato Scrub Natural Area which is largest remaining scrub tract
      in Southern Palm Beach County and currently has over 3 miles of hiking trails already identified but the entire Natural Area is much larger. My question is this, how do you go about getting a municipality to agree to allow MTB trails to be built? There is a parking lot already paved with plenty of room to park on the side of Clint Moore road if necessary. It seems to me that this could be a great location for MTB trail development. I’d love to be able to simply ride down the paved Rio Canal Trail and jump on the Yamato Scrub MTB trails, but the area forbids bikes.

I think that opening this natural area up to MTB riding would only increase the awareness of and support for more dedicated Natural Areas.

Thoughts? Is this anything anyone knows about or has addressed previously? It just seems like such a "gimme" for riding…

Chili – I did ride HCMT last weekend and had a pretty good ride: took the blue trail all the way to the back but got a freaking flat at the very end and had to walk my bike all the way back out. We threw it in the back of my bro-in-laws truck, took it to Infinity Bike Shop in Melbourne (great shop, great guy running the place) and came back to finish what we’d started. I might try GFT next time I’m up there, but I’m concerned that my rigid frame isn’t made for what seems like a ton of jumps (…MTB trails built by former BMXers…). Maybe I’ve got the wrong impression, but I don’t know how many air drops my bike (or I on a RF) has in it… I do want to check out Wickham trails as I’ve heard that’s a decent ride but further north.
      As far as Palmetto Scrub: I figured that’s the feedback I’d hear. I’m hoping there are some SoFla riders checking this site that know anything about the MTB history here (assuming there is some). The park is an easy ride from FAU which would lend itsself to quite a bit of "business" if a fun trail was made available. Hell – Boca could even charge a couple bucks to get in… Sounds like a red-tape nightmare if you ask me. Thanks for the feedback and I’ll let you know the next time I’m heading up north.

Viewing 1 reply thread

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.