XC Bikes

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

We’rw looking for a new bike, we would like it to be full suspension, reletively light and not that pricy.Thanks to anyone who answers!

I also though that the Salsa Caballero looked good. Has anyone heard anything bad about that bike. Link

I’m a (big) Super Light fan a lot of bike for the money(simple and light). I am 6.2 over 200lbs have beat and I mean beat one for four or five years. XC, mountain cross, dual slalom, Downieville, NorthStar, Demo.

Riding is life all else is waiting

I second the Superlight…. Simple, light, and fairly well priced.

I’d also suggest a Gary Fisher Cake. Those bikes are very nice.

Does anyone have a link to those, I’ve heard of them but can’t really find them.

Thanks, I’ll show them to him when he gets home.

If you Dad’s serious about weight and speed, I’d put the Superlight in front of the Cake. I’m a pretty big Santa Cruz fanboy, but hear me out on the Gary Fisher……

If his riding includes some rough trails, epic rides, and the occasional big hit/small drop, the Cake is the better bike…. Plus the hydroformed tubing and asymetrical swingarm are works of art. The bike is also really light, a large Cake1 weighs in at or around than 28lbs, IIRC.

He’s not the technical kind of person.

In that case….

Unfortunately, Gary Fisher doesn’t sell frame-only bikes….. 😢

Otherwise, if you could find a Cake frame, with a race parts spec, one could definitely be turned into a rocket. The Genesis Geometery places a rider in an ideal attack position, as well as a good climbing position. If I was a XC racer, I wouldn’t hesitate to turn a Cake into a race bike.

Thanks for all the help! He likes the superlight, but he backed down a little when he saw the price of the high end one. ($4667) 😆

Heck, a Cake 3 DLX is a really nice starting point…. you get hydro-disc brakes, a decent fork and shock, and LX level drivetrain…. for $1759.

I almost forgot….

Check out the Jamis Dakar series of bikes…..

I’ve seen a couple of them in person, and seen what they can do…. And from what I remember, they’re pretty competitively priced as well.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bike_intr … intro.html

Thanks again for all the tips! 😄 We are also looking at Kona and Cannondale as we can get 20-30% of on all of the Kona bikes and some of the Cannondale.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.