winter riding tips

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

winter is closing in and although i have rode in cold weather,i wonder what everyone does for winter riding,thoughts,tactics,tips,etc…for keeping that big wheel turnin through the winter.

Invest in a set of Scwalbe Ice Spiker tires! They’re by far the best snow/ice tires on the market, and they’re bigger (2.3) than any others. The IceSpikers are hugely popular with Germans who ride year ’round.
      Get some neoprene shoe-covers, the ones with holes in the bottom for your pedal cleats. UnderArmor has a line of thermal undershirts that work extremely well. Find some micro-fleece bib coveralls & jackets, they’re excellent for winter biking. A Goretex shell jacket/windbreaker can be worn if it’s snowing or really windy. I like split mittens for the hands, they let you use two fingers for braking, and are much warmer than regular five-finger gloves, plus you can wear a thin glove liner if you want.
      Next, bike maintenance is extremely important during winter riding. Salt, slush, and muck will destroy bearings and pivots quick. After every ride, thoroughly wash, rinse, and dry your bike with warm/hot water. Apply Rain-X to the outside of every bearing & pivot seal you can find, as well as your frame. This will keep that nasty slush from sticking.

And, most important, just ride! You will be surprised how much you can do even if there is snow on the ground. It won’t take you long to figure out what makes winter riding work for you.

Personally, I agree with Bombardier. Get yourself some clothes that will wick away moisture, block the wind, and keep you warm if the temps drop unexpectedly. Good poly layers, a decent shell, pants, and comfy gloves are the most important. If you are going to be out in the cold for a long time then the shoe covers are a must. If you get really serious consider buying a Pugsley.

thanks for the advice,you guys are the best when it comes to getting replys on here.wish we had live chat on here.i suggested it on the member idea forum.

Wow, Rain-x! I never thought of using that, great idea!

Wow, Rain-x! I never thought of using that, great idea!

Yeah, it’s good stuff! Put it on your helmet and riding glasses too! 😀

Thanks a lot. Those are really good tips. I have some rain-x laying around too.

Having warm feet is paramount for me. I’ve been messing with the shoe covers for several years with limited success and plan to get a pair of winter riding boots soon. Lake makes the best boot out there but they’re not cheap. The Answer Kashmir at Beyond Bikes is a less expensive alternative as well. Good luck!

http://www.lakecycling.com/

http://www.bestwebbuys.com/bikes/cgi-bi … c%3DSH-ANS

Any recommendations for socks? I can keep pretty warm overall through layering. However I’ve noticed at the end of every ride in cool weather my feet are cold. Probably from sweating on the way up and then cooling from evaporation on the way down. There’s probably some good wicking socks out there, just haven’t really researched it.

I like using a thin polypro moisture-wicking sock under a thick knee-length sherpa-wool outer sock. It’s hard to keep feet warm!

Man, just reading this thread makes my feet feel cold.

I use the DeFeet wool socks (Wool-e-ator) and PI toe covers. Of course, cold in Georgia is no where near what cold is in NE and Colorado ;) so this works fine down here.

Has anyone compared using shoe covers versus winter riding shoes/boots for winter riding? As stated above, some have used one or the other, but has anyone compared the two?

Am i the only one the reads mountain bike action magazine??hahahaha.there is a new product in the jan. 2008 issue of mba in the inside interbike report that takes care of cold feet.sounds really cool,although the mag dude said they have not had the opprotunity to test them yet as they are too new to have gotten a hold of any to test.
      they are a heated(by battery pack)stuffed in your jersey pocket or waist belt,called "THERMICSOLE"

Sidas (604)732-9144
      i think i will give this number a call.

Yup, seen it.

Awesome stocking stuffer….. 😉 😃

Without recovering all the above with clothing, 2 things come to mind for me to keep warm on winter rides. I am in Greensboro NC so out winters are not bitter, most cold day rides are in the low 40’s or 30’s.

What ruins a ride for me is if my fingers get cold or my ears.

So I wear a Novara skull cup from REI and that makes a huge difference. I also found no matter what gloves I wore, my fingers kept getting cold. Then I switched to Ergon grips. They prevent "numb hands" by improving circulation. Now my hands stay warm.

The worst thing about riding winter months in NC is that it is usually wetter and we have roots that become icey and dicey and that totally modifies riding conditions and slows me down.

Viewing 14 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.