Winter Maintenance

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

Even though we don’t really have an off season here in Georgia, it can be cold and rainy. This is typically the time of year where I do some major maintenance on my bikes.

Last night, I took apart my Kona Process 153, tapped out all the old bearings and pressed in new ones. Luckily, I was able to borrow an extractor and a bearing press from my friend’s shop. It made the job simple, but it still took a long time – around 4 hours start to finish. Holy shit was it worth it though! Since bearings typically degrade gradually, I didn’t really notice the impact they were having on the ride quality. My bike feels like butter now!

I’ve bled my dropper posts, and I’m probably due for a fork rebuild or two.

Anyone else overhauling their ride(s) this winter?

Can you do mine next? 🙂

Unfortunately I typically spend the winter degrading my bike with mud and rain. Come spring I’ll probably do some maintenance but man, it’s demoralizing in winter when you get your bike all clean and dialed only to drown it in grit on your next ride. 🙁

Truth.

That’s a big benefit of having multiple bikes! If it’s really shitty out, I’ll ride the hard tail. I opted for the barely more expensive “black oxide” Enduro – the brand – bearings. They’re supposed to last longer in wet, gritty conditions. There was a $0.50 premium over the standard bearings.

I am in the middle of switching over my drive train to 1×10… It will be all new, so any thing associated with that will be reworked.

So with that in mind I went ahead and bought new ripcord shifter and brake cables for my jaguar mountain pro’s. I will remove the housing caps clean those with a hot water and a brush. Clean the cable housing with hot water and a small gauge pipe cleaner then blow out the cable housing with compressed air.

I will rotate the tires to extend wear life.

New Brake pads.

Need to check the wheel bearings, possibly replace or repack depending on wear.

Dust covers on the Judy RLT has wear cracks and the shock has about 1000 miles on it… may look into getting it rebuilt and having new dust covers put, but it seem to be performing fine. May be a game time decision.

That should about do it.

This is my favorite time of the year! Nothing like overhauling your bike, then riding it! Here in Wisconsin you have a lot of time to overhaul, but luckily we have an indoor MTB park to test it out afterwards. I enjoy overhauling bikes, after all it got me into biking. I overhaul all my family’s bikes, so I have multiple projects. Overhauling my next bike this weekend, and it needs it!

carvermatthew, is that Ray’s indoor park? That place looks like so much fun.

Ya, and next weekend is IMBA member weekend so I’ll definitely ride there. Ray’s is awesome, and is great for getting your skills up to par. Although it doesn’t replace the thrill of trail riding, the first time I went I learned more skills in 2 hours than I had the previous fall out on the trail. Not only does it cater to XC guys with tight, twisty sections and XC loops, but you definitely get your jump on too! It also doesn’t hurt that I can practically ride there.

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.