Windows Phone App

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

Any plans for a Windows Phone app?

I just recently moved from iphone to a windows phone and am wondering if there are any plans for an app for such. I miss my single tracks app.

I also have a Windows Phone and feel out of the loop without the app. And a lot of other popular apps 😢
      Anyone out there know if theres one being developed?

From another thread in response to the same questions:

We don’t have any current plans for a Windows 8 app but anything is possible!

We do have a mobile website that offers about 75% of the app functionality you can use in the meantime:
      http://m.singletracks.com/app

Realistically, I would say it’s not on the table for them. Windows phone usage is at under 3% and has actually dropped in popularity versus a couple years before. There’s not a lot of RoI for the development investment.

My wife had a Windows phone. It actually worked great, but the reason she got rid of it was she just couldn’t get all of the apps she wanted. It’s too bad, competition is always good for the customers.

"schwim" wrote

From another thread in response to the same questions:

We don’t have any current plans for a Windows 8 app but anything is possible!

We do have a mobile website that offers about 75% of the app functionality you can use in the meantime:
      http://m.singletracks.com/app

Realistically, I would say it’s not on the table for them. Windows phone usage is at under 3% and has actually dropped in popularity versus a couple years before. There’s not a lot of RoI for the development investment.

I have to agree, the popularity is very poor for the Windows Phone, but perhaps if it had the app competition other phone OS have it could sustain a group of users. In any case, I’ll stick to the mobile site (which works very well, bravo) until that app releases. Even a very simple app for checking in would be much appreciated for an WP community members 😃

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback! While Jeff might chime in with more info, I do know that development of our site for mobile has been a major push in 2015. Almost the entire website is now mobile-responsive, which provides many of the features found in our stand alone app on any device with a web browser. But as you’ve noted, not quite all of the features are available 😀 If you’re looking to check-in with your Windows phone, and you don’t have a GPS unit, here’s one work around:

1. Track your activities using a Windows Phone app, like Runtastic.
      2. Connect your Runtastic account to Strava so your activities are automatically ported over there. According to Strava, Runtastic is one of several compatible programs, and they also happen to have a Windows Phone app: https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/2095 … itnesssite
      3. Connect your Strava to Singletracks using Tracker. This will automatically import your Strava MTB rides into Singletracks, and will check you in. http://help.singletracks.com/support/so … ks-account

While it’s not the most elegant solution, you CAN still make it happen, even without a GPS unit.

Cheers!

-Greg

Thanks for the help Greg! I linked Endomondo to Strava using Tapiriik and the tracking finds its way to Singletracks when you synchronize them all. Its not ideal but it will help a lot of WP users such as myself to use the site to its fullest! Worth posting this somewhere

"Dom Wirkijowski" wrote

Thanks for the help Greg! I linked Endomondo to Strava using Tapiriik and the tracking finds its way to Singletracks when you synchronize them all. Its not ideal but it will help a lot of WP users such as myself to use the site to its fullest! Worth posting this somewhere

I added a couple of help docs to our solutions section, so this info is now up there. I’ll look at other ways we can get the word out, too–maybe a forum sticky or a blog article.

Cheers!

-Greg

Almost the entire website is now mobile-responsive, which provides many of the features found in our stand alone app on any device with a web browser.

Thanks for mentioning this Greg! In fact, there are MORE features available on the website (which is mobile-friendly) than in the app if you’re just counting raw numbers of features. Still, there are a couple key features that are app-only at the moment:

– Check-ins. We’ll work to make this possible via the website soon.
      – Offline trail maps. Unfortunately this one is trickier since there isn’t a solid standard for browser file storage, which we’ll need to save the map tiles. Still, we’re always on the lookout for a solution!

One of the most popular features in the app is the ability to see a map and list of MTB trails near your current location and I’m happy to report that we recently added this feature back to the website:

http://www.singletracks.com/mountain-bike/trails.php

Apps are cool and all but we’re more interested in developing solutions that are cross-platform and accessible to anyone with a browser. The good news is we’re closer than ever to making this happen!

Viewing 9 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.