Whooops, wrong trail…

Tagged: ,

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Had some plans to tackle half of a 25 mile trail in western NY over the weekend. My wife wasn’t real comfortable dropping me off and finding the other end. So I just made do with what I had and off and off I went down the trail.

I ran into some pretty soft terrain right off the bat. I figured it was just run off from a recent rain and ended up needing to walk my bike up the soft squishy hill. Once on top I jumped back in the saddle. That didn’t last long…more soup was just up ahead. My tires just kept spinning out from under me, even in granny gear. I just couldn’t make any progress.

Then there came a downhill…I’m usually pretty excited to go downhill. Not this one. 2/3 of the way I began sinking in again. What a sloppy mess this whole trail was, very disappointing. No speed on this bad boy. The whole trail was nothing more than a quagmire waiting for some unsuspecting mountain biker to give it a run. Just when I hopped back on and began peddling again, the mud gods would smile and quickly swallow my knobby’s into the mucky abyss. I finally made it out to a hard pack dirt road and decided to head back to the truck via the road…now that I was a muddy mess. I finally got a little speed going and the mud chunks went a flyin’!

As I made my way back to the truck I noticed the trail I thought I was on pop out onto another road. "That’s odd" I thought as I checked my location. Yep, I was on the correct road. I made my way back to the truck and it dawned on me when I saw the "Other" sign for the trailhead. Aaaawwww crap! I was on the wrong trail the whole time…That was nothing more than an old overgrown, unmaintained logging road.

As Arnold would say…I” be Back! (after I wash my bike and my shoes dry out)
      Steve

Viewing 0 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.