What’s the most dangerous trail you know of???

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Here’s a question for everyone,well,,,maby not everyone but if you know of one you can sure nough answer this one too.
      What is the most dangerous trail that you have either ridden or heard of, and your experience with it wether it be that you rode it or wouldnt ride it??

So Steve, what are you hoping to find that you didn’t get in your previous, similar topic?

Any trail that you are not paying attention to. I have known many that have had their biggest crashes on trails that they ride all the time.

So Steve, what are you hoping to find that you didn’t get in your previous, similar topic?

More information on the really dangerous trail’s to ride a mountain bike on.Like,I think it’s in Irland that there are some places to ride that are hundreds if not a thousand feet of sheer cliff’s on the shorline of Irland that mountain biker’s have ridden.And I think there is one trail in moab alot like that too.Just want to know more aobut em,where there at and what the name of the trails are.

Case Mountain in CT has a particularly nasty reputation as a VERY difficult trail, and it seems like every year someone is breaking something on it. The last issue of Singletracks, published by NEMBA, had a story on a guy who recently broke his hip there.

Since we don’t have many to pick from here in southeast AL it would be easy. Trail of Tears is the most dangerous now. It used to be one the first MTB trails around the area. But now, it gone down the tubes. There was alot of north shore type stunt setups but they are all rotten or torn down. Just about two months ago, there was a big search and rescue attempt made by the local authorities. There were some riders that attempted to do the see-saw that is built into the side of not far off from straight down ledge. Well, it was all rickety and wobbley. The first guy that went up it and then went down the hard way. The dangerous part about the majority of this trail is that it runs along the Chattahoochee River. But, before the water’s edge, there are say about a gazzillion boulders that are the size of cars with fallen dead trees sticking out in between them and in the quicksand mud. That’s where this guy fell to. He broke both his legs, shattered one of his arms (can’t remember which one), had a huge concussion, and then he had to have his face rearranged via necessary plastic surgery. The saying "he got torn up" seems to be an understatement. He used to work as a part time bike techy Ride On bikes across the river. Now he’s laid up going through physical therapy. Thankfully, he had some friends with him when this happened. The rescue process went on into the night, and was on the late night local news. The guys over at the bike shop got involved to help him out the best they could. It stuff like this (lack of trail maintaining, and irresponsibility) that cause trails to get this kind of rep. Not to mention people who decide to make a trail what they want rather than the intended trail builder.

Portal Trail off of Poison Spider and Blue Dot in Moab, UT. People have died trying to ride it in its entirety. 😮 I dismounted as told. 😳

An easy section.

Gold Bar Rim / Blue Dot in Moab, UT can be sketchy too. But it makes for spectacular scenery…….

I think the most dangerous are those paved ones thru town with the unleashed dogs and kids and glass – I used to use one to commute, now I use the busy road – seems safer to me!!

As far as actual mountain biking, yeah I’d have to agree with the Portal trail. It is downright scary – even when walking your bike across the death zone.

I would say that Snowshoe in WV was some of the most dangerous trails I have ridden. I wouldn’t say that any of the trails were life threatening, but you could definitely get seriously hurt if you screwed up or wasn’t wearing some body armor. I’ve ridden that wall in the Vortex area in the Florida pictures above…the 2nd from the bottom. The drop a few feet to the right is a little scarier because you free fall for a few feet before landing on the transition that is nearly vertical.

I just rode the yellow trail at the kentuck ORV in oxford AL. I have always ridden the easier blue trail, and I must say that big, loose, rocks coupled with steep decents can be hazardous to your health! The yellow trail is like a DH trail, that has protracted periods of steep uphill. 😮

[url:km24j79k]http://www.hansrey.com/latestadventures.htm[/url:km24j79k]

Here are some pics of the cliffs of moher in Irland where Hans Rey,Steve Peat,and an Irish photographer Victor Luas are riding 600 ft. above the atlantic ocean.Check out the link for additional Hans Rey adventure pic’s and story’s.

I love technical trails…but thats too much for me 😮

Thanks for the great pics fellas.
      I look forward to some Utah action next season!

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.