what GPS file format should I submit

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I have a Garmin GPS unit and I can export couses from it in .TCX format. I have a file converter to change these files to the more universal .GPX format but I’m not sure that they are as accurate. I recently submitted a trail system in seven segments that I converted to .GPX format and they are all still pending after one week. Now I have mapped a different trail system, also in multiple segments. My question here is; should I submit this trail in the native .TCX format and let the mappers at this web site do the conversion or should I convert them and then submit?

Don’t worry about a week of lag. I’ve had some tracks not show up for 3 weeks. I always submit my tracks as .GPX files but I’m pretty sure you can send in either format at this point. Most of the maps on the site are available in .GPX, .TCX, and .KML formats so I have to assume that they have conversion software. Not sure if either is more accurate than the others but the Garmin .TCX files hold a bit more info including heart rate, cadence and calories which helps if you are analyzing info for training purposes but isn’t as important if you simply need a map of the area.

I think the uploader can also take raw .tcx files, but I have necer tried it.

Either way it does take 10 days or so for them to get processed.

Yeah, we prefer files to be in GPX format. If they’re not, we gotta convert them ourselves. Either way there is no accuracy loss going from one format to another (all data points are preserved).

You can also help us speed up the process by assembling multiple data files into a single track. If not, we have to do it on our end which adds to the processing time. Also if possible, it’s best to map a trail system in a single ride and to be purposeful about producing a complete map. Of course sometimes that takes the fun out of the ride but in the end it leads to the most useful map.

Thanks for the response to this post. I have submitted the Mill Creek Steamway Park trail system using Garmin’s .TCX format. The files are a little bigger but there should be no errors. Thanks again for the help.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.