What Drives me nuts

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

Today i tried to go for a ride….I say tried cause when i arrived at the trail head it started to rain…..A bit too much. The thing is where i ride it is prone to quick erosion and the bikes just take away way too much of the trail really exposing the roots and kills the path.

So i get out of the trail quickly trying not to disturb the trail much and there at the trail is a group of 10 getting ready to ride…One of them ask me how is it in there and i tell them straight up…That its not a good idea..It’s slick and muddy….They were all oooing and ahhhhing thinking its gonna be great….

Well i mentioned nicely that i didn’t think its a good idea that all that traffic is gonna really kill the trail.

Well they really didn’t care…..These are the type of people that drive me crazy because they do nothing to help when the trails are going bad as well…
      Just users and abusers.

I know what you mean dude,everytime I show up at the trail head to see how muddy it is after it rain’s there are alway’s tire track’s when I’m just checking to see how muddy it is and then I get frustrated cause I see how muddy it is and I would have not ridden if it were up to me.
      Some of those people dont understand that a trail is supposed to be somtning it was meant to be and not somthing to be thrashed around and beat up.

It just burns me it was a whole group and not one cared and the stupid thing not one contribute there either….At the Don Valley the trails are really just dry clay, when wet they erode quickly. And these last past two years there were a few guys there really making a difference totally changing paths to limit the impact on the trails as well as making them truly world class. I just wished the other people saw it my way.

I have been riding there for 15 years and when i started only the few who had true skill would have ridden there…It was great then but now every Tom Dick and Harry with a bike shows. At least the ones that were there in the past contributed helped out.

It seems like "common" sense that one would not ride on muddy trails, but unfortunately sense is not so common. I think the question is: what can we as responsible riders do. I think that we can all agree that we do not want to lose trails, especially on grounds of irresponsibility of some few inconsiderate riders. What is our recourse as riders?

Trail protection and advocacy is a huge thing for NEMBA (North Eastern Mountain Bike Association), and that type of riding is [i:209b1gbz]strongly [/i:209b1gbz]frowned upon – it’s actually against the by-laws for the group.

It saddens me when some clowns make the other thousands of us look bad.

I started mt biking in north central MA and sothern NH. During the years I slowly witnessed trails eroded away mostly due to atv’s. This past July while visiting my folks I barrowed a bike from a friend just to discover on of my favorite single tracks is open only to hikers now.

Rule of thumb is to stay off the trail for 24 hours after a good rain. I miss the mud but it is better than getting trails closed.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.