Well, that’s it

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author

So, last night the bikes got put away till next spring. 😢 And with that my 09 season comes to an end. Had a great season, we had great weather, learned lots of new stuff and i’m a much better rider than a few months ago.

So, great site, great topics, and see you all next spring !

ha, but it’s time for you guys to ski!!! i’d trade singletrack for powder most any day.

I wish we were skiing ! We still have to wait a good 4 weeks until ski season gets going. But ya, i’ll also take fresh lines before, well, anything ! 😆

We’re already skiing here in VT. I wish we had some riding left, but with lots of rain recently and all the leaves down, riding has become a bit treacherous for my taste.

"rogerk" wrote

We’re already skiing here in VT. I wish we had some riding left, but with lots of rain recently and all the leaves down, riding has become a bit treacherous for my taste.

How much of a base are you sitting on ? 😕

"garbanzo" wrote

[quote="rogerk":uk0g38wm]We’re already skiing here in VT. I wish we had some riding left, but with lots of rain recently and all the leaves down, riding has become a bit treacherous for my taste.

How much of a base are you sitting on ? 😕[/quote:uk0g38wm]

All of 6". 😳

"rogerk" wrote

[quote="garbanzo":3t84t3i8][quote="rogerk":3t84t3i8]We’re already skiing here in VT. I wish we had some riding left, but with lots of rain recently and all the leaves down, riding has become a bit treacherous for my taste.

How much of a base are you sitting on ? 😕[/quote:3t84t3i8]

All of 6". 😳[/quote:3t84t3i8]

haha, i grew up in the midwest, i know how that goes!!!!

that’s awesome man, represent.

JDH

Don’t you just hate it when it’s too cold and wet to ride and there isn’t enough snow anywhere to board? Not liking this fall in AK.

You know, last night when I was coming home from work at 11pm, I was thinking about this exact issue. Just a little longer and there will be plenty of snow to go around. But I’m still not done for the season, another 2-3 weeks If the snow holds out.

I got a little taste of cold, wet Fall riding this morning. When we left the house it was 41 degrees with a light drizzle. Not the best riding conditions, but on the other hand I saw it as an opportunity to get some cold weather conditioning in and try out my latest cool weather clothing set up.

The singletrack was closed, but we got in about 7.5 miles of fire roads, which is a pretty good workout due to some serious climbing that is required.

For clothing, up top I wore a long-sleeved Under Armour-like compression shirt as a base layer, covered by a long sleeve shirt and a running jacket. The running jacket and base layer are both Champion brand bought at Target. For the price, I was very pleased. I was plenty warm even with the wind and rain that increased slightly from a drizzle to a sprinkle by the time we finished. On the legs, I stayed with shorts. The knees were a little chilly at first, but after I got moving it was no problem.

I also took the inserts out of a pair of snowboarding gloves and wore those covered by my fingerless riding gloves. Worked like a charm. The only problem I continue to have is keeping my toes warm. I wore Smartwool socks today, and they were a little better than what I usually wear, but the cold still won out in the end. I have to keep working on that, because I don’t plan to stop riding for a while…

I understand the cold. Here in North Georgia is usually doesn’t get too cold. Last winter I rode when it was 17 degrees out. Felt fine. Can’t really ski or snowboard here in GA. When it snows here the whole state shuts down and the grocery stores sell out of bread and milk but the snow is usually just a covering of slush. My problem and question I have had is what do you do in winter to stay in shape? I don’t want to lose that endurance I have built up.

Ride! just dress for the colder temps. if the singletracks are to muddy ride the fire roads. Great time to explore those forest service roads. Plenty of them in north GA. Also you can go to the local gym and take a "spinning" class.

I live in the Augusta, GA area and ride year round.

JDH

Kinda find it funny that there are places in the lower 48 states with snow and we have yet to get snow below 1500 feet here in Anchorage Alaska. Some people up here ride year round, you see "Fat-bike" riders commuting to work even when it’s -20. I myself don’t like the cold that much so I cheat to keep in shape, I ether ride a stationary bike, run on a tread mill or use an elliptical 3 days a week for an hour a long with some weight training mixed in there.

You can go to this http://www.singletracks.com/forum2/viewforum.php?f=85 forum for more ideas.

"JDH" wrote

Don’t you just hate it when it’s too cold and wet to ride and there isn’t enough snow anywhere to board? Not liking this fall in AK.

Yup, I hear ya. Fall is the longest season of them all ! or atleast it always feels that way

"brianW" wrote

Great time to explore those forest service roads.

i’m looking forward to doing a lot of that this winter… should be fun!

I like riding in the winter time here. It usually gets to like 18 or 22 degrees (F). And it stays dry most of the whole time with the exception of the once a month rain shower, but that small amount of rain takes a week to dry out. The trails stay pretty well traveled so the leaves aren’t that much of a problem. The only thing that really changes is that my bike tends to creak quite a bit in cold weather and tires get really hard (harder than usual meaning less traction) and tires loose more air pressure when its cold so you have to watch that pretty closely. I have had to add air to my tires six times in one 8 mile ride, and it wasn’t due to a leak, once they got warm they hold air no problem. Also, if and when you fall it hurts more. You know how sensitive nerves can get when its cold. Pain feels double than what it really feels like and you have to really rub it out or walk it off. The cold is a motivation for me to keep riding once i get started in a ride. The more i pedal the warmer i get.

Pain feels double than what it really feels like

You forgot to mention those pesky old injuries that when in cold weather make for hurting joints and mucsles,really gotta make sure your keeping them warm because if they get cold they can absolutely ruin a ride in the cold.

I guess that’s why I love it out here in Colorado so much – world class skiing close by and riding throughout the winter in the Front Range.

New England riding in the fall can be beautiful, but the leaves certainly hide a lot of obstacles! I know the season is nearing it’s end, but until there’s snow, I’m going to eat up all the trail I can get! Thanks for reminding me to push myself this weekend, though – biking is a gift, and I want to get all I can!

Viewing 18 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.