Weekend in Athens, GA

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

I am traveling to Athens, Ga this coming weekend for the in-laws Christmas "celebration". I still consider myself a novice rider, but enjoy a challenge and not afraid of a few cuts or bruises. I am looking for a trial to escape to. I have not ridden in the area. Can anyone help?

Scouting a place to hide out during a visit with the in-laws – good thinking! 😀

Heritage Park is about 10 miles south of Athens and has a good network of trails. Fort Yargo is also a great place to ride, esp. for novice riders – it’s about 15 miles east of Athens.

Thank you, trek7k. I will probably check out both trails. Have you ridden the Home Depot Trail?

Yargo all the way!

Not sure what kind of condition home depot will be in, depends on how much trail maintenance the locals have been doing of late. I’d say it’s more challenging than either Yargo or Heritage, though, so I’d recommend checking out those. There’s also a mile or two of trails at Lake Herrick at the UGA intramural fields that are pretty easy and quite popular with bikers and runners alike. Be prepared to get turned around there, though!

PS I’m going to move this thread to the Southeast forum, might get a few more responses there.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.