very minor Rust

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author

i have some surface rust i guess you would say inside some of my allen bolts.

what would be the best method of clearing this out? i read Phosphoric acid does a great job. is that overkill?

thx

I would recommend just going to a hardware store and picking up some new bolts. They will be really cheap and should be able to get stainless steal bolts and not have to worry about them rusting again.

If you want to clean up you current bolt then a small wire brush will work, but the rust will come back since the coating on the bolts has been worn off.

Yeah, phosphoric acid will clean it up alright. However you may need to use more than just one application of it. What happens is the iron (III) oxide, which is known as rust, is changed into a water soluble compound. Afterwards it’s converted to iron phosphate and can be cleaned off from there.

Naval jelly is a good product if you can find it……….

….. It’s probably just cheaper/easier to buy replacement’s 😎

Oh yeah. Always use caution when dealing with chemicals. This stuff will burn your skin like battery acid!

yeah i’d like to save my skin for the trails. thanks for the heads up and options.

"ChiliPepper" wrote

replacing them with a non-oxidizing metal alloy like titanium. The bad thing about that route, it is a more expensive route to take. Anyways, just replace them, cleaning them really serves to purpose.

Oh yeah, I meant to mention that too, titanium will be a solution if rust really bothers you so.

Viewing 4 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.