Trying to find wheels

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

Hey guys, you have a lot more experience with parts than I do. Just started mtb’n last couple years and got some friends doin downhill with me (north central PA). Since I was a bmx kid growing up, I like to jump and try spins and things. I ride a ’08 Orange Speicalized P2 and have bent the rims, tried trueing but just won’t come out. I want to replace the rims but not spend a fortune, still in college. I figure I can keep my hubs, but i need help gettin pointed in right direction for rim choice.. Looking to find it in white too, for some show.. ha

How many spokes on the wheel?

"GoldenGoose" wrote

How many spokes on the wheel?

It’s got the red Specialized P.Disc hubs, with 36 holes.

Chili, what gauge spokes do you recommend? I stretched a few spokes out one day jumping and my rear derailleur broke off and went with the chain up around the rear arm and bent two spokes real bad, so they are stretched pretty far when i tried to just straighten them out as a quick fix.

Yeah, went I went to the local bike shop where i bought the bike originally they said other people had problems with the derailleur extending too far on big drops and actually hitting the ground, thus putting the chain into a bind and then locking up the derailleur and breakign it off. They told me to remove a few links from the chain, which would not allow the derailleur to extend as far and hit the ground. Works so far, knock on wood, thanks for the input. But I really want White rims just for the looks and none of those you listed have them in white, you know any places off hand i could find them in white?

As I’m looking around, I am stumbling across people going through the same situation as I am. I see people recommeding the MTX 33, I think made by Alex. Any thoughts or previous experiences with them?

Check out this site for a large rim selection and multiple colors.
      [url:s5nsb2br]http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=1259[/url:s5nsb2br]

I’d suggest these…

36H 26" White Azonic Outlaw rims
      [url:s5nsb2br]http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=27900[/url:s5nsb2br]

are these double walled rims? Hell, Id replace my rims now for that price. Good find. I dont know my spoke count or if the hub is transferrable but I would do more digging if they are double walled rims.

All 4 posted are double walled.

noob question, how can you tell. I didnt see anything that said ‘double walled’ or anything.

I looked up cross sections for each rim. You can normally go to the manufacturers website and it will show you a cross section but in some cases you have to use other websites.

I think that the majority of mountain bike rims are double walled these days. Can’t speak for road rims but I’m pretty sure most mtb rims are.

I think even the majority of XC rims are double walled these days. In fact, I don’t think Mavic, Dt Swiss, or Stans No Tubes even make single walled mountain rims anymore. I’m sure someone out there makes still makes single walled mountain rims but I don’t think it’s common to find them on bikes that are really intended to be taken off road.

I finally narrowed my search down to the Azonic Outlaw rims, need a 36h bc i wanna keep my hubs from my rims i have now. Anyone know where I can order just the rims. I have been "google searching" azonic outlaw rims and i keep getting wheel sets. Also, whats a good size/gauge for spokes.. i do urban/dirt/ and some downhilling on my specialized p2.. and any Brand or TYPE of spokes preferred?

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.