Trip to Florida

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author

We are heading down to Daytona in February and me and a buddy are looking to get some riding in while we are down there. So I need help with two things… where can we rent bikes? And, any suggestions as to trails to ride in the area?

Thanks for the help!

Thanks! I’m no stranger to driving to trails, (living in Boston) so that isn’t a problem. Just looking for the inside track on some sweet rides while we are down there.

Santos is definitely the best bet!

What perfect timing for this thread, I’m trying to throw together a mtb trip down to FL myself. So all suggestions are nice, I wanted to check the Ho Chi Minh trail out, I’ve heard "stuff" about it. Thanks for getting the thread started 😀

Quick Edit: I wanted to actually post this short video on it. Haha, that second attempt is definitely me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ5_03OL4VE

"ChiliPepper" wrote

[quote="Asfyxiate":2yh3v92s]What perfect timing for this thread, I’m trying to throw together a mtb trip down to FL myself. So all suggestions are nice, I wanted to check the Ho Chi Minh trail out, I’ve heard "stuff" about it. Thanks for getting the thread started 😀

Quick Edit: I wanted to actually post this short video on it. Haha, that second attempt is definitely me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJ5_03OL4VE

I am a bit confused here. I have been to just about every FR park/trail in FL and I have never heard of this "Woodhill Ho Chi Min" trail in FL. There is one in Texas and Seattle, and also a big one over in Europe and I also believe New Zealand as well. By the accent of the riders and throughout the other videos I watched, it is definitely either Europe or New Zealand. Even the terrain does not fly with FL. The only Ho Chi Minh trail that I am aware of is here locally for me at Turkey Creek MTB Trail, and it nothing like what is seen in those videos. The only FR trail we have locally is the GFT, and it was removed from Singletracks in respect for the wishes of the land owner. Santos does have a mean FR park among other exceptional riding as well. I would more than happy to ride with you at Santos when you do make plans to ride FL though.

Anyways, there are great FL trails here in FL as well besides the ones mentioned above. Anytime you need some good advise on a FL trip for MTB’ing, just shoot me a PM bro. Be glad to help or walk you through my neck of the woods.[/quote:2yh3v92s]

Oh really? That’s too bad, suppose I didn’t do nearly enough research on it, not that I FR to begin with (just something that I wanted to see).

But this still does change my planning on heading south. Thanks for the clarification.

If you’re looking for a short drive, Graham Swamp is the way to go. You’ll find a lot of good riding out there. Spruce Creek is nice but not nearly as fun as Graham. I live in Ormond Beach (between Daytona and Palm Coast) and I’m 20-25 minutes away, Daytona is about a 30-35 minutes, depending on where you’re staying. Santos is a good 1 1/2 – 2 hour drive so plan on making a day of it.

You’ll have a lot of fun at Graham. The guys who work on that track are always out there adding and tightening things up. Just added a new section of skinnies. I’ve been riding here every weekend for the past couple months (going again this weekend) and with all the rain lately the track has been in phenomenal condition. There’s a bike shop about 5 miles North of there, PC bike shop. I’m pretty sure you can rent from them. They’re in the "Bike Shop Review" section if you need their info. Really good guys!

If you guys want to meet up, let me know, I’ll see if I can join you. Have fun!

Awesome, thanks for the feedback guys. We’ll def be hitting up Santos – place looks amazing. I see there is a shop right at the trailhead renting bikes, so I’ll be set that day, and it will be a full day for sure!! And with a week down there, I’m sure we’ll check out Graham Swamp as well and I’ll be sure to check out PC for a bike that day.

I’m excited to see what trails in Florida have to offer, I’m sure it will be a change of pace from what we are used to in Massachusetts and West Virginia.

Thanks again everyone. The trip was great, got to ride 4 out of the 6 days I was down there. Rode Graham Swamp twice, that place ricks if you’ve never been there. Totally caught us by surprise with the drops and elevations there! Some great trails built by riders, very nice to see. Also rode Spruce Creek out in New Smyrna, that was a fun fast and twisty trail, moreso what we were expecting for Florida trails (with little elevation change). And did 20+ miles out at Santos. Could certainly use another visit there in the future, what a great place. Trails were excellently maintained, twisty and fun!

Might have to make the February break a Florida trip every year to get some miles in before riding starts up here.

Glad you guys had fun on our local trails. Most people are quite shocked by the swamp. If and when you return next year, bet on it being even better. The guys are ALWAYS out here and it’s getting better daily.

Viewing 8 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.