Training for race

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

I am riding 20 miles every other day weather permitting in preparation for a 20 mile mtb race. Should I be riding every day?

Don’t ride every day. If the race is 20 miles up your miledge but not the number of days. 😄 Later,

Ok thanks.

Ok I shouldn’t ride 20 miles every day prep for race.How many miles and how many days.

Can you ride the course?

Training isn’t just about riding miles, it’s about riding miles that actually help you. Riding the course would be an excellent way to train. You learn the terrain and hopefully improve your technical skills and aerobic/anaerobic capacity.

If you can’t ride the course, try to find terrain that mimics it. If it has some hike-a-bike, "practice" that too.

Another thing to think about trying is intervals. They helped me a ton over the winter. I rode for ~30 minutes and would pin it for a minute, then keep pedaling until my heart rate dropped to 125. Then I would pin it for another minute. i did this on a trainer, I don’t think you’d be able to do it on the trails.

"Jared13" wrote

Can you ride the course?

Training isn’t just about riding miles, it’s about riding miles that actually help you. Riding the course would be an excellent way to train. You learn the terrain and hopefully improve your technical skills and aerobic/anaerobic capacity.

If you can’t ride the course, try to find terrain that mimics it. If it has some hike-a-bike, "practice" that too.

Another thing to think about trying is intervals. They helped me a ton over the winter. I rode for ~30 minutes and would pin it for a minute, then keep pedaling until my heart rate dropped to 125. Then I would pin it for another minute. i did this on a trainer, I don’t think you’d be able to do it on the trails.

If you can find a hill, you can do hill intervals. Works pretty well on a gravel road. Or, if the terrain that you’re training on is hilly enough, you may find that you just do intervals naturally…

Thanks for the advice everyone. Really appreciate it.

Daily riding is a good habit. Do it regularly. But I suggest not ride such this long distance.
      Thanks,
      NYC Bike Rental

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.