Thinking About Making the Switch to Clipless

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author

Hi everybody. I just joined up here, and this site seems like a really cool place. From the topics I’ve read, everyone seems to be really nice and respectful, too which is a lot more than I can say about other forums I’ve visited.

I just got into more XC/Trail oriented riding. I’ll be spending most of my time on crushed limestone trails and the rest on singletrack. I’ve always rode platforms, and am finally starting to realize that I might be better off with clipless. I wanted to ask on here if you guys could recommend me a good set of clipless pedals. Just from on here, I saw the Crank Brothers Eggbeaters and the Ritchie Logic Pro V4’s. There are probably plenty other good ones out there, so what do you guys think? I’ll probably be willing to pay up to about $150, give or take. Do you guys think that I’ll be able to get a solid set in that price level? I don’t want something super heavy, but I imagine anything would be lighter than the DK Iron Cross platforms I’m riding now. Thanks.

Hey another new one, welcome to singletracks as well.

Here you’ll find a great topic on the clipless pedal input.

http://www.singletracks.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=2862

I personally use Shimano (Shimano PD-M324 Pedals) but that’s just my taste.
      [/quote]

I used eggbeaters, I didn’t care for them, I could actually pull my way out of the clip going up hills, changed over to shimano pd-m540’s and cranked the tension way up and no I’m good to go.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ … Pedal.aspx

I also like the Shimanos. I have them on road bike also so i can wear the same shoes.

I really like my shimano M-520’s Bought mine with shoes for around $120.

im new to the sport aswell, but ive been riding with a two sided shimano pd.
      they’re great for the afternoon ride to happy hour.(no cycle shoes req!)

I rode cages for about 15 yrs and recently went to Crank Bros Eggbeater SL’s and have never looked back. They are easier to deal with than cages and don’t get clogged up. They are easier to get out of than the cages for me and I don’t have any problems clipping out unexpectedly. They are in you’re price range and only weigh about 266g.

The Eggbeater SL’s are the ones that I kind of narrowed it down to just from looking on the internet. I’m glad you have had good experience with them. Do you know if the Eggbeaters with Titanium parts are supposed to be stronger too or just lighter?

I’m going to keep my mind open to the Shimano’s too though. I know my bike shop carries both the Shimano and the Crank Brothers so I’ll be able to compare them.

Now I guess I have to pick out some shoes. Do you guys think its more of a preference thing or are some better than others? I’d like something breathable and waterproof. Thanks.

SiDI’s in whatever price range you are looking for. I also hear good things about the Shimano vacuum mold shoes but I think they are like 3 bills or something….

I love clipless. I currently use the Shimanos and the double release cleat. It will release vertically and its adjustable.

I tried Crank Brothers and the Mallot C hybread platform egg beater,

Didn’t like it. used them 4 time and one broke. E-mailed Crank Brothers twice no response. Called them, they didnt sound encouraging. They gave me a RMA number and I mailed them in. One week now and no reply yet. I went back to the Shimanos, but one thing about the Shimanos is they do get clogged up with mud.

"Devin_P" wrote

SiDI’s in whatever price range you are looking for. I also hear good things about the Shimano vacuum mold shoes but I think they are like 3 bills or something….

Sidi makes clipless? I dont think so. I think your talking about Look. They they make some great bindings

Jester, my comment for SiDi’s was in response to Mguts asking about shoes….. I have a pair and like them.

Thanks for all of the advice everybody. I’m hopefully going to get down to my bike shop in the next week or so and check out what they have in stock.

"Jester1911" wrote

I used eggbeaters, I didn’t care for them, I could actually pull my way out of the clip going up hills, changed over to shimano pd-m540’s and cranked the tension way up and no I’m good to go.

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/ … Pedal.aspx

I’ve been using these for the last 2 years and really like them. They hold when they should and release when they should.

In general, I find the Shimano pd-m647’s to be a great all around clipless pedal.

See reviews at MTBR
      http://www.mtbr.com/cat/drivetrain/peda … 35crx.aspx

I have been riding them for about 3 years now. I would not switch to any other clipless pedal. They are low-maintenance and seem to be bomb-proof (taken some good thumps that I know would have destroyed other pedals).

Just a bit of advice when it comes to learning to ride with clipless.
      1. set the tension as loose as you can get it.
      2. ride the bike around on familiar and easy terrain, stopping a lot and unclipping BOTH feet every time you stop.

You should be able to get used to them in about 6 weeks or so. It’ll become almost second nature at that point. Once you’re familiar with them and comfortable riding and unclipping, you’ll find a level of bike control that you never knew before.

Note there are still cases where flats are the best choice though. Like when the freeride bug bites ya. Good luck with making your choice! Knobby-side down!

Viewing 14 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.