The best MTB’s ever built????

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author

The bare bone’s ridged with only the essential’s.The lowest form of a safe and geometrically sound riding machine that will go anywhere and come close enough to doing anything you want it to.
      Let me know what you think eveyone,dont be afraid.

p.s. I think they are funner than anything else to ride.hahahahahaha.

It seems sooooo obvious but no one has jumped on it yet…the specialized stumpjumper. It’s one of the first mass produced lines starting back in 1982 and it’s STILL in production today. I would have to guess it’s one of the best selling lines ever. It may have lost some of the sex appeal of some of the original bikes produced by the boutique brands but the staying power can’t be denied.

Ummm,I am riding a sumpjunper rihgt now.although I am moving over to a ridged I mentioned above.If I dont sell the whole thing,I’m going to use the part’s off it to build the ridged bike.
      It is a nice bike,I like the stand over height,and the simple balance it has about the frame.The cockpit is comfy and I can move around in it just as I need to.The bottom bracket sit’s lower so there is a lower center of gravity which I like with being clydesdale rider,more top weight with a bigger upper body.

I love the Demo FSR and the Enduro FSR from Specialized. Both of them are solid and and take you through just about anything.

Before this turns into a Specialized love-in I thought I’d throw in my vote for one of the late greats: The Bridgestone MB series.

I had an MB-5 back in the early 90s and while it was near the bottom of the line for Bridgestones it was one of the lightest, most supple MTB frames I’ve ever ridden. The components weren’t anything to get excited about but they were pretty standard for the times. Slap some disc brakes and a front shock on an old MB-5 and you’d have a sweet ride today!

"spazjensen" wrote

I love the Demo FSR and the Enduro FSR from Specialized. Both of them are solid and and take you through just about anything.

I have to add in there that the MKIII and the Sunday from Ironhorse is on the upside as well.

When I read this thread I was trying to think back on specific models more than just the "upgrades" that have been made down the line, such as the various suspension setups and components. Honestly, I always feel myself wanting to revert back to bikes that were a 1st with new technology that seemed to stick around. Whoever made the first FS, put that model on my list. Who came up with the 1st 29er? Put that one up there as well. (Better not say that too loud or I could start a riot around here 😼 😎 😆 ) The Horst link was and still is awesome. I’d have to put that one up on the list also. If I had a better historical knowledge I’d be throwing out names left and right. I’d think that somewhere on the top of the ALL time GREATEST MTBs you’d have to put one of the old bikes made by Gary Fisher, Keith Bontrager, or Tom Ritchey. Those guys practically helped invent the modern mountain bike. One of you historians out there can surely put a name to some of the classics. I’m too young and uncultured, but I can still give credit where it’s due. 😉

I know they are a boutique brand from the North East known for some new and different suspension styles but not many specific models. I think they mainly do DH and freeride bikes. I remember reading a while back about a prototype they had for a bike with 250mm of rear travel (10 inches for the math challenged). That’s a pogo stick on wheels!

"Jeremy_Green" wrote

I know they are a boutique brand from the North East known for some new and different suspension styles but not many specific models. I think they mainly do DH and freeride bikes. I remember reading a while back about a prototype they had for a bike with 250mm of rear travel (10 inches for the math challenged). That’s a pogo stick on wheels!

That is freakin crazy. I want pics or a link to it if there is one. If that were true I just might look in to getting it for myself. I’m a big guy, I could easily push that 10 inches down to about 7.

Looked up sinister bikes, the r9 is pretty sick looking. I could just imagine how it would look flying through the air.

"Mongoose" wrote

Yeah, they are out of New Hampshire I believe. I know a guy named Rob that is a builder for them. The Sinister r9 and the new Sinister Gruitr are the top dogs of downhill & freeride. They are a rider owned company.

They can be located at http://www.sinisterbikes.com .

I was looking to see in another topic if anyone has had time on one of those demon down hill MTB’s, but no one has replied yet. I am looking in to purchasing the Sinister r9.

Hey ‘spaz’, did you get the pics I sent you of the upgraded Blackcomb?

Yeah I got em’ I really appreciate it. I replied back to you via e-mail. But yeah I aleady got a fork for it, but I was having trouble finding a rear shock for it though. I just read your last e-mail that you sent me. Thanx again.

Okay my opinion may be ‘slightly’ biased, but i am just gonna throw it out there…

Santa Cruz Heckler

simplicity, durability, versatility, performance, stout tried and true single pivot design that just never seems to go out of style

Im a big fan of the Enduro and Nomad, however than sinister R9 does look pretty sick for downhill.

I actually met the MTB legend Tom Ritchey in the weirdest places of places to be in 2007. I’ll make this story short. I was passing through Rwanda, Africa heading to Tanzania for one of my gem rough expeditions I go on twice a year (gemologist, lapidary, and gem enthusiast). Anyway, I met him taking part in what they call in Rwanda the "Wooden Bike Classic Race". Wow, I was staggered by the innovations these Rwandans used, literally. They are not really bikes, well they are bikes. Sorta! They are more like prehistoric scooters carved from eucalyptus trees, with wobbly wooden wheels, wooden handle bars, a wooden platform for your feet, and a wood seat. They say it is best to avoid the seat if you want to have children someday, and from what I saw, they were far from being wrong. Kind of reminded me of the Flinstones except it was wood not stone.

Tom Ritchey is a really nice guy and a legend to MTB’ing and what he is doing over there is a real fantastic thing.

Anyway, Steve you quoted this:

Quote:
      The bare bone’s ridged with onl the essential’s.The lowest form of a safe and geometrically sound riding machine that will go anywhere and come close enough to doing anything you want it to. Let me know what you think eveyone,dont be afraid.

p.s. I think they are funner than anything else to ride.hahahahahaha.

Well, theirs your answer to your quote: http://www.woodenbikecoffee.com/bike.php

"Rwanda Wooden Bike"

THE GENUINE ARTICLE!

[url]http://www.woodenbikecoffee.com/bike.php[url]

Here’s a link to think about when spending thousand’s your next bike.[/url]

"Mongoose" wrote

BTW, I noticed that you had Toe and Razorback as one of your "Trails You Want To Ride". I do not know if you know, but both of those MTB trails are CLOSED indefinately. I rode on them in late 2007 right before they CLOSED! All the good ones are dissappearing!

Yea I know, Im just hoping they open eventually.

Viewing 13 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.