Suspension/Rear Triangle Bearings

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author

So I have a 2009 Specialized Enduro with some hard miles on it. I put it in the shop today to get the suspension rebuilt for the first time. When I was talking with the shop they suggested to get a bearing rebuild kit considering the creaks coming from the suspension. They told me that it was about a $100 bearing kit from the manufacture. I am curious if I should get the specialized spec bearings or go with a aftermarket company. I did a Loogle search and ended up with Real World Cycling website that has a bearing kit for $54 which I thought was decent. Anyone have any experience with this site or going with aftermarket bearing kits for the pivot points? If so is it a good or bad idea? I don’t want to go cheap considering how much my bike costs originally. If I could get ceramic bearings would that be a good upgrade, if so how long do they last considering their high costs? Now is this something I can do myself or should I let the trained mechanics do this. I have a bit of tools but have never taken on such a big task. Its $75 labor charge at the shop, I am planning on doing this next month.

I am trying to get the bike up and ready for a fall trip at the end of September. Its already riding great, just needs some tune up items that are possibly overdue. I would hate to have a mechanical malfunction ruin a trip for me.

Thanks!!

Go with the OEM parts and have the LBS do the work. Find out the warranty on their repair. The factory parts will fit better. More expensive? Yes. Still cheaper than buying a bike to ride while you try to save money finding bearing and things. Writing a check is easier than "saving some money". I guess it’s pay and pedal or save and rave. 😄 Later,

I just replaced all of the suspension bearings on my 2006 Stumpjumper FSR last week. I was able to find a decent deal on bearing kits from Boca Bearings (http://www.bocabearings.com). Ran about $100 to replace all bearings with ceramic. There are two types if you look at their website. There are some that are double sealed and are specifically made for dirty environments (yellow seals).

I’m not necessarily sold on a real reason to get ceramic bearings over regular quality steel bearings for suspension (maybe wheels?). The ceramic bearings are designed for "high speed" and "high heat" applications. However, these are quality bearings, offer a double seal and cost the same as all other decent kits out there (including OEM). I think the bearings offered by Boca are better quality than what Specialized does for the same price (I don’t know for sure, but I got the bearings from Boca… So naturally I think they’re gonna be better 😉 ).

I had one bad bearing that needed replacement.. However, after replacing all of them… my suspension is PLUSH and feels BRAND SPANKIN NEW! Worth the time and $$$

If you need advice on getting the old bearings out, let me know. I have a couple of tricks that can help with that. Especially the bearings down by the rear drop outs. Those are tricky.

I have dealt with RWC for a conversion kit for my rear shock mount to convert from bushings which wear and squeak, to a bearing kit. I have nothing negative to say about them. I wouldn’t hesitate to do business with them again.

Ken or anyone else, can you give me some info on pulling those bearings out. I am going to make a home made bearing press that I got online instructions for. I am trying to figure how to pull the old bearings out properly, some of them have double sided bearings which make it harder than just a one sided bearing which I think I can handle.

Thanks

I replaced all my main pivot bearings on my 09 Stumpjumper FSR a few months back. I found all my bearings from Price Point. They were the exact same brand (ODI) as the ones I removed. Much cheaper than factory. I used a bench top vise and a socket that was just slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the bearing. Took about and hour to do the R&R. Good luck.

yeah,think so,I replaced all my main pivot bearings on my 09 Stumpjumper FSR a few months back.Image

Viewing 6 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.