Suspension Question

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author

After my rear suspension went i have not found that even when on lockout it still moves like a pogo stick.

As a result i have got a bit careful but i have also noticed that the front suspension although also on lockout still seems to move 1.5 inches when i apply the front break to the point of it causes the bike to rock back and forth a couple of times.

I can push down on the front shocks and it does drop about 1.5 – 2 inches inches and the front right fork makes a noise like air escaping.

Being as the bike is due in on Saturday to test the rear shock, should i be worried about the front shock also, i dont think the shock was ever calibrated for me, if i open the front shock it is incredibly soft like i can sniff the mud in the tyre tread (i am sure its just mud).

As this id my first FS i am not sure if it is normal, the fork is a Rock Shock Toro 302 SL on the Specialized FSR XC Comp,

I have read that others have had their suspension fail completely with similar symptoms as mine on a new bike. Should i be considering that both shocks are faulty?

By the way the bike has mainly been on the road in the 6.5wks i have had it, the few trails it was on is nothing a HT or even cruiser could not handle.

Thanks for the input

Dac

To give a better answer, would first need to know the model of your rear shock and front fork.

"Lockout" on some models is really a reduction in travel to 1-2" and is not fully rigid. Again, would need to know the model to know if this is the case for yours.

As for your rear shock, it sounds like it is due for a rebuild, which is not a big deal for the LBS to handle.

Good news, the front ones are ok, it was normal, it just needed some tweaks, so after he explained how to i was fine.

the rear shock (x-fusion 02RLA) was not quite in lock out, after a bit of working the lever was ok,

it had lost air pressure so he reset the shock up and increased it to 140psi, told me to come back in a week if its drop he will send it off for replacement.

i am still wondering if the Fox Triad 2 is the better shock and if its work the upgrade… i have not had chance to test the Rock Shock toras yet,

Rear shocks will lose some air over time, that’s pretty normal. I have to top mine off every 4-5 rides or so.

Mine’s a Fox RP3 and I love it.

I have to top mine off every 4-5 rides or so

I thought my triad rear shock leaked when I first bought my stumpjumper,not so,the last time I checked the psi was at the end of last summer.I wouldnt doubt it needs to be checked,but I havent noticed it bottoming out at all,the o-ring has never came off the end of the shaft.I also have a buddy that had a 2005 stumpjumper,and he said he NEVER checked the air preasure in his fork or his rear shock in the 3 years he owned it.
      I dont know slacker,I think your shock is leaking.What do you think??

I just had it rebuilt.
      When I say topped off, I mean like 5-10 psi, and that’s after 205-50 miles of hard riding.

Since this thread is about suspension i might as well ask here. I weigh 205 to 210 lbs. I fluctuate between those weights at the moment. How much air preasure should my rear shock have? Its a Giant air shock. That is all ity says on it.

It’s usually measured by "sag" which means how much the shock settles when yuo put your weight on the bike.

Yuo can also do a ‘seat-of-the-pants’ test, and start with your weight in psi (start with 200) and increase or decrease it from there based on how it feels.

What model Giant?

"maddslacker" wrote

It’s usually measured by "sag" which means how much the shock settles when yuo put your weight on the bike.

Yuo can also do a ‘seat-of-the-pants’ test, and start with your weight in psi (start with 200) and increase or decrease it from there based on how it feels.

What model Giant?

Its the 2009 Yukon fx Madd.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/_upload_u … 070609.pdf

Page 18

In the computer world, where I work, we call it "RTFM" 😃

LOL thanks again man. I actually have that damn manual but nowadays i dunno how read paper. Just the screen. 😆

"Dacorr" wrote

After my rear custom suspension went i have not found that even when on lockout it still moves like a pogo stick.

As a result i have got a bit careful but i have also noticed that the front suspension although also on lockout still seems to move 1.5 inches when i apply the front break to the point of it causes the bike to rock back and forth a couple of times.

I can push down on the front shocks and it does drop about 1.5 – 2 inches inches and the front right fork makes a noise like air escaping.

Being as the bike is due in on Saturday to test the rear shock, should i be worried about the front shock also, i dont think the shock was ever calibrated for me, if i open the front shock it is incredibly soft like i can sniff the mud in the tyre tread (i am sure its just mud).

As this id my first FS i am not sure if it is normal, the fork is a Rock Shock Toro 302 SL on the Specialized FSR XC Comp,

I have read that others have had their suspension fail completely with similar symptoms as mine on a new bike. Should i be considering that both shocks are faulty?

By the way the bike has mainly been on the road in the 6.5wks i have had it, the few trails it was on is nothing a HT or even cruiser could not handle.

Thanks for the input

Dac

The Fox Triad 2 is definitely the way to go.

Well the Fox Triad is what is considered a OEM shock as it is not avaliable to the public for purchase. It was designed for Specialized bikes and custom valved for them..Placing one of them on another bike may not work as well as you may think.

Viewing 12 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.