Supplemental Oxygen

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author

Does anyone have any experience using recreational oxygen to assist acclimatization? I am driving from 300 ft above sea level to 8000ft. I have no difficulty hiking or biking(level) but biking up is killer.

In mountaineering the supplemental oxygen is only effective while actively using the bottle. However, it is used at extreme altitudes ( above 23,000′ where the body can’t acclimatize anyway). It probably will not help you acclimate to such relatively low elevations and likely will hinder your body’s natural response mechanism which is the creation of additional red blood cells.
      The best thing to do is the natural method which is to spend a day or two as high as possible without heavy exercise before your big rides (if you’ll be there for a week don’t ride the first couple of days). You alternatively could "ride high, sleep low" returning to a lower elevation at night (keeping an eye out for AMS symptoms – especially during the ride). There is also the option (disclaimer: which I do NOT endorse) of going to see your doctor and getting a Rx for some commonly used medications that are known to assist with acclimatizing. Though seriously, I’d hope your doctor would just tell you "no"

"Jampa56" wrote

Does anyone have any experience using recreational oxygen to assist acclimatization? I am driving from 300 ft above sea level to 8000ft. I have no difficulty hiking or biking(level) but biking up is killer.

You’ll be fine! I need oxygen going up hills at sea level!

If biking uphill at sea level is a killer for you no gas of any kind will help. Spend a day or two at 8000 with light walking to acclimate and then go biking. Take it easy first few days

Viewing 3 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.