Stromlo Forest Park Master Plan – your input

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author

Ok so the following was posted by The Bear a couple of days ago about the Master Planning process for Stromlo…

CONSULTATION NOTICE
      Stromlo Forest Park
      Master Plan and Feasibility Study
      The Department of Territory and Municipal Services has engaged architects Cox Humphries Moss and urban planners Parsons Brinckerhoff to deliver three interrelated projects for the potential future planning, development and operations of Stromlo Forest Park.
      The project includes preparation of a Master Plan to guide the future growth of the Park. The project will also investigate the opportunity for commercial accommodation and a chairlift to the summit of Mount Stromlo.
      A drop-in information session will held on Saturday 16 May 2009 at the Event Pavilion, Stromlo Forest Park, Uriarra Road, Stromlo from 9.30am until 3.30pm.
      The drop-in session will discuss the objectives of the study. It will also provide an opportunity to gather information on current Park use and ideas for future development. These responses will be used to inform the preparation of the Master Plan.
      To find out more about the project visit http://www.stromloforestpark.com.au.
      For further information contact Lee McCourt, Parsons Brinckerhoff on 6281 9500.

One of the tings I will be doing is representing CORC (Canberra Off-Road Cyclists) in discussions with Cox Humphries Moss and Parsons Brinkerhoff.

What I would like to know from you, the riding community, is what you would like to see at Stromlo in the future (and don’t say another 400m in height, more trees (there are over 400k already)…its all been said before).

What would make riding there better? What would influence you and your family to come and ride (and stay in Canberra for a few days)? What would make events there better/run more smoothly?

My thoughts on areas people might like is:
      real north shore,
      a BIG single trail XC/all mountain loop that takes in the back side of stromlo and block 12 (adjoining block) like options for 60-80km
      a kids playground (for youngsters under 8 or bigger kids!)
      Dirt Jumps area
      BMX
      Thrird DH/Free Ride down the western face
      Skills area
      Duel Slalom course
      BBQs
      Shelters/H20 at junctions
      Weed control?
      Regular maintainence
      Well defined (future) works program
      dare I say chair lift?
      Camping/low cost accom
      a bikeshop/coffe shop/bar
      links to the cotter and back into the city/arboretum/weston
      bike path that links these areas also?

All idea are welcome and I think I am only scratching the surface here. I doesnt have to be just mountain bike related either…Oh and I know some people dont like the place for one reason or another so if you don’t have an constructive thoughts please don’t both to add to this thread

This is our park, lets plan it for the future

Viewing 0 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.