Spin Class Vs. The Real Thing

Viewing 28 reply threads
  • Author

I’ve been taking spin classes and thought I was getting a great workout until I got on the trail for the first time today. I felt so strong in my spin class so I was a bit dissapointed. 😮

There’s nothing like actually mountain biking… not even road biking. Road biking will make you strong, but even that is not sufficient to train you for true mountain biking.

Yep, nothing but MTBing, helps you MTBing. No spinning, no indoor cycling no nothing.

Road riding does help to develop your spin. When you hear roadies talking about pedaling in circles they are talking about spin not riding in circles. I started off as a mountain biker and bought a road bike just to have one. The more I rode on the street the better I rode in the woods. Many MTB riders just mash the pedals and have trouble in technical areas. On the road you will find out that pulling "up" when pedaling can rest your quads and maintain speed. Off road pulling "up" can give you better traction in poor traction because there is a bit less force so you may not spin the tire and cause a problem. Hard core MTB riders may scoff at this but it works. Borrow a road bike and try it. Set the seat to the proper height and go ride. Start off "mashing" the pedals till your quads start to burn. Then start pulling up on the pedals, concentrate on pulling up your knees toward the bars. You can maintain speed while your quads rest. I never would have thought this but after a summer of riding the road during the hotest part of the summer. When I hit the trails in the fall it was like I was supercharged. Another roadie trick that works is instead of down shifting stand and push hard for three revolutions to see if you can get back "on top" of the gear and your speed increases. I agree spin classes suck and are boring but it is better than not pedaling due to weather. A road bike will help your MTB. Maybe that is why MTB racers have a road bike for training. Work on your "spin" and you will win! 😄 Later,

Mountain biking and road cycling are definitely complimentary. Whatever you prefer to do though, you want to focus on that. Road cycling will help your mountain biking, but why hit the road when you could hit the trail? This season, I’m aiming for a ratio of three to one. If I can do three mountain bike rides a week and one road ride, I’ll be very happy, not to mention fit 😀

I try to ride the road when the trails are wet, then I’m not missing out on anything. I hat cycling indoors, I only do that if there’s a foot of snow outside . . .

"Goo" wrote

There’s nothing like actually mountain biking… not even road biking. Road biking will make you strong, but even that is not sufficient to train you for true mountain biking.

I used to race on the track, criteriums, and road as well on a national and world class level so I’m not totally new to training. That was quite a while ago though. I also weight train and do yoga etc.

"ollysj" wrote

Yep, nothing but MTBing, helps you MTBing. No spinning, no indoor cycling no nothing.

So all was for nothing?

"fat_billy" wrote

Road riding does help to develop your spin. When you hear roadies talking about pedaling in circles they are talking about spin not riding in circles. I started off as a mountain biker and bought a road bike just to have one. The more I rode on the street the better I rode in the woods. Many MTB riders just mash the pedals and have trouble in technical areas. On the road you will find out that pulling "up" when pedaling can rest your quads and maintain speed. Off road pulling "up" can give you better traction in poor traction because there is a bit less force so you may not spin the tire and cause a problem. Hard core MTB riders may scoff at this but it works. Borrow a road bike and try it. Set the seat to the proper height and go ride. Start off "mashing" the pedals till your quads start to burn. Then start pulling up on the pedals, concentrate on pulling up your knees toward the bars. You can maintain speed while your quads rest. I never would have thought this but after a summer of riding the road during the hotest part of the summer. When I hit the trails in the fall it was like I was supercharged. Another roadie trick that works is instead of down shifting stand and push hard for three revolutions to see if you can get back "on top" of the gear and your speed increases. I agree spin classes suck and are boring but it is better than not pedaling due to weather. A road bike will help your MTB. Maybe that is why MTB racers have a road bike for training. Work on your "spin" and you will win! 😄 Later,

"fat_billy" wrote

I know all about spinning–as I mentioned to the other guy–I competed on a national and world class level. I specialized in match sprints on the velodrome, competed in criteriums, and road races. I have very good technique. I know this is why I’m not your typical beginner to this sport.

"mesjulia" wrote

I’ve been taking spin classes and thought I was getting a great workout until I got on the trail for the first time today. I felt so strong in my spin class so I was a bit dissapointed. 😮

I think that a spin class can help as long as it is kept in it’s pecking order,I mean spinning a road bike is different to mtn bike spinning in that a mtn bike has to deal with extreme grades where the rider not only is faced with steeper grades/more often but square edge bumps that can instantaniously ZAPP a riders energy reseve where a road bike rider’s energy really only faces an even and slow energy usage.So,in mtn biking,the rider is faced with riding at lower end energy reserves where the rider is really forcing himself to ride to keep going.I’m sure spinning a road bike helps with vo2 max and spinning technique,but with intermittent energy drops,what good is it when a mtn rider is pretty much forcing himself to ride at times when energy zapp occures with more square edge bumps to go.I don’t ride road so I hope I didn’t step on any toes with my one sided view, 😉

I wasn’t saying that road biking is the same as MTB but there are fitness benefits from each. It was roadbiking that taught me to spin. A big long hill with a bailout of 39×23 builds strengh too. MTB has more spikes and hard efforts even though the gearing is lower the effort is there. When I don’t have time to go to the trail I can hit the road with the roadbike and get some work out. Bunny hopping can save you on the road if you are going fast and come up on a drainage grate with 1 inch wide slats and you have a 22 mm tire width. Urban riding on a MTB bike with wide slicks is cool and a good work out. Everyone has their own montra and trailing method. I am a MTB rider but the road helped me. Just saying. 😄 Later,

"steve32300" wrote

[quote="mesjulia":2zokosbc]I’ve been taking spin classes and thought I was getting a great workout until I got on the trail for the first time today. I felt so strong in my spin class so I was a bit dissapointed. 😮

I think that a spin class can help as long as it is kept in it’s pecking order,I mean spinning a road bike is different to mtn bike spinning in that a mtn bike has to deal with extreme grades where the rider not only is faced with steeper grades/more often but square edge bumps that can instantaniously ZAPP a riders energy reseve where a road bike rider’s energy really only faces an even and slow energy usage.So,in mtn biking,the rider is faced with riding at lower end energy reserves where the rider is really forcing himself to ride to keep going.I’m sure spinning a road bike helps with vo2 max and spinning technique,but with intermittent energy drops,what good is it when a mtn rider is pretty much forcing himself to ride at times when energy zapp occures with more square edge bumps to go.I don’t ride road so I hope I didn’t step on any toes with my one sided view, 😉[/quote:2zokosbc] No I agree–that makes total sense to me. What do you suggest as far as training? I’m thinking about trying some short track cross country events. Does anyone know what a typical short track course is like?

No I agree–that makes total sense to me. What do you suggest as far as training? I’m thinking about trying some short track cross country events. Does anyone know what a typical short track course is like?[/quote]

Yeah I don’t race and at this time have no plans to do so.Although I am figuring out how to ride the best I can for as long as long as I can in my life…I come from a BMX DJ,Freestyle trick with a slight peppering of racing BMX,in other words I raced on our home built BMX track than I did organized BMX racing..Mtn. biking is tough because it costs gas money to get to the trails,which is my suggestion for getting better at Mtn .biking.I think the important thing for Mtn. Bikers to know is that they use there upper body in such ways that are quite like a gymnest on the horse or the rings where they use total body strength to not only balance the body to the bike to the trail,but they hold there body weight like a gymnest does in or order to ride consecutive technical sections that come one after another and being on the bike is very important to building that body/upper body strength.This theory could come from relating my BMX days to Mtn. Biking but I still think it is true to a certain point.Strong joints and upper body strength along with cat like balance are good points to always remember no matter how you train to Mtn. Bike.If your gonna race,I would suggest racing as much as possible,I think you already know enough from your past in competing at skating,biking,etc..to get your cardiovascular in shape,I don’t think I could improve upon that.

"mesjulia" wrote

[quote="ollysj":h5bk3yuu]Yep, nothing but MTBing, helps you MTBing. No spinning, no indoor cycling no nothing.

So all was for nothing?[/quote:h5bk3yuu]No, I helps you to stay in shape

"fat_billy" wrote

I wasn’t saying that road biking is the same as MTB but there are fitness benefits from each. It was roadbiking that taught me to spin.[color=#FF0000:1e4i4zx4] A big long hill with a bailout of 39×23 builds strengh too. [/color:1e4i4zx4] MTB has more spikes and hard efforts even though the gearing is lower the effort is there. When I don’t have time to go to the trail I can hit the road with the roadbike and get some work out. Bunny hopping can save you on the road if you are going fast and come up on a drainage grate with 1 inch wide slats and you have a 22 mm tire width. Urban riding on a MTB bike with wide slicks is cool and a good work out. Everyone has their own montra and trailing method. I am a MTB rider but the road helped me. Just saying. 😄 Later,

I’ve really noticed that this has helped me. There’s a huge difference between a 39×23 grany gear and a 22×32 granny gear. I’ve seen a reduction in how often I use my 22T ring on my mountain bike, since I got back on the road bike. I’m now justifying hilly road rides by saying thatdoing this is how I’m going to get strong enough to rock 1×9 😃

This morning I climbed a big hill on my mountain bike using my 36T ring and I felt great, I was very pleased!

"steve32300" wrote

No I agree–that makes total sense to me. What do you suggest as far as training? I’m thinking about trying some short track cross country events. Does anyone know what a typical short track course is like?

Yeah I don’t race and at this time have no plans to do so.Although I am figuring out how to ride the best I can for as long as long as I can in my life…I come from a BMX DJ,Freestyle trick with a slight peppering of racing BMX,in other words I raced on our home built BMX track than I did organized BMX racing..Mtn. biking is tough because it costs gas money to get to the trails,which is my suggestion for getting better at Mtn .biking.I think the important thing for Mtn. Bikers to know is that they use there upper body in such ways that are quite like a gymnest on the horse or the rings where they use total body strength to not only balance the body to the bike to the trail,but they hold there body weight like a gymnest does in or order to ride consecutive technical sections that come one after another and being on the bike is very important to building that body/upper body strength.This theory could come from relating my BMX days to Mtn. Biking but I still think it is true to a certain point.Strong joints and upper body strength along with cat like balance are good points to always remember no matter how you train to Mtn. Bike.If your gonna race,I would suggest racing as much as possible,I think you already know enough from your past in competing at skating,biking,etc..to get your cardiovascular in shape,I don’t think I could improve upon that.[/quote]
      Well although I still feel strong, I haven’t lost that tempo used for training and racing, and I’m still mentally tough from all those years of pushing my body to it’s limits, I don’t plan on racing hard core–I’m a bit too old for that. That being said, I’d like to see how I do and just do it for fun. And…If I do well then that’s a bonus. I plan on entering about one to two races a month.

road rides defiantly make you stronger. i rode the roads for a few yrs. before getting into mtbing and i thought that mtbing would really help with staying strong with all the climbing and heavier bike. i love mtbing just as much but i will honestly say WRONG! three yrs. ago i got off the roadie and started mtbing that spring thinking and feeling strong by mid summer. my friend wanted to do a road ride and wow i had lost about all my lung and leg .i could’nt believe the power loss. after our first 15-20 mile break and being dropped a dozen times or so it dawned on me why. mtbing you on the avg. only ride1 or 2hrs. road 3 to 5hrs. mtbing really low gearing. road big gearing. you are not always spinning mtbing. road you are always spinning. mtbing you always sit and climb really only using leg power. road you stand using leg,stomach,arms and back. mtbing no wind to fight. road the wind is like dragging an anchor behind you. just a few reasons why i think spinning road bikes is the ticket for better mtbing. if i was’nt for the health thing being #1 reason why i ride, i would’nt concern myself with all that. because my #2 reason is i just love riding bikes. im 46 and i about cry when the sun goes down or the rains come. gotta love tearin down a dirt path or asphalt path. thats why i never forget to let r rip!!! 😃 😃 😃

i just love riding bikes.i about cry when the sun goes down or the rains come. gotta love tearin down a dirt path or asphalt path.

AMEN TO THAT…….

I took spinning classes for about 2 years. Really enjoyed them. Lots of fun. However after a few months I found 2-3 instructors that were really good and just went to their classes. other instructors seemed not challenging. Also you only get what you put into it. I would come out dripping while others hardly broke a sweat. However after awhile I got tired of getting to class and finding no bikes left 😠 So now i just mt bike.

Also, no one else in class had mud on there shoes.

"ltud" wrote

[quote="fat_billy":23g4enhy]I wasn’t saying that road biking is the same as MTB but there are fitness benefits from each. It was roadbiking that taught me to spin.[color=#FF0000:23g4enhy] A big long hill with a bailout of 39×23 builds strengh too. [/color:23g4enhy] MTB has more spikes and hard efforts even though the gearing is lower the effort is there. When I don’t have time to go to the trail I can hit the road with the roadbike and get some work out. Bunny hopping can save you on the road if you are going fast and come up on a drainage grate with 1 inch wide slats and you have a 22 mm tire width. Urban riding on a MTB bike with wide slicks is cool and a good work out. Everyone has their own montra and trailing method. I am a MTB rider but the road helped me. Just saying. 😄 Later,

I’ve really noticed that this has helped me. There’s a huge difference between a 39×23 grany gear and a 22×32 granny gear. I’ve seen a reduction in how often I use my 22T ring on my mountain bike, since I got back on the road bike. I’m now justifying hilly road rides by saying thatdoing this is how I’m going to get strong enough to rock 1×9 😃 This morning I climbed a big hill on my mountain bike using my 36T ring and I felt great, I was very pleased![/quote:23g4enhy]
      So what does that average out to? For example, I used to race on the track in a 52×13 which equaled an 88 inch gear?

I spin during the winter months when getting out is not practical. It does help maintain my cardio, helps me train my legs to pedal in smooth circles and keeps the weight down. But, it really does not help tackle those inclines when hitting the trails again.

I’m 35 w/ a family & full time job… About 5 years ago I discovered Cyclocross and I fell in love with racing for the first time in my life. Over the past 5 years I’ve gone on a journey of discovery & tried a number of things. I’ve gone from finishing Mtb & CX races mid pack for the first couple years to now being #1 so I’m moving up to Cat 2 next race.

I do a bit of everything for training during the winter. I do Plyometric based workouts twice a week to help with strength, cardio, & recovery. In Mtb you need strength & a the ability to quickly recover from explosive efforts. I also get in 45min to 1:30 hour trainer / road rides twice a week – I tend to do interval training sessions for time reasons. I also found a group of guys from CX racing that are crazy enough to go on night Mtb rides with me all winter long – rain, snow, etc. We found the nights rides don’t create marital / family issues & it’s a fun escape on a week night. It also really helps because you end up riding in the mud and over slipery terain a lot which burns tons of energy and helps w/ handling skills. I seriously would have told you 5 years ago that no one should ride in the weather we do – but get the right gear & just go for it.

Once spring hits I drop a plyo session and hit the road one more day a week – typically adding a 20 mile spin ride w/ some hills. Before CX race season I really focus on doing interval sets to once again build my speed up.

I think the key for me has been doing a good mix since MTB is all about a mix of needs.

Start to do some research or talk to a coach about a structured interval training program – they are your best bang for your buck. I think the key for Mtb is to not focus on one training type but get in a mix of spin / intervals / plyo’s for strength.

"brianW" wrote

I took spinning classes for about 2 years. Really enjoyed them. Lots of fun. However after a few months I found 2-3 instructors that were really good and just went to their classes. other instructors seemed not challenging. Also you only get what you put into it. I would come out dripping while others hardly broke a sweat. However after awhile I got tired of getting to class and finding no bikes left 😠 So now i just mt bike.

Also, no one else in class had mud on there shoes.

You can tell a [i:3bcbwe2n]real[/i:3bcbwe2n] mountain biker by the mud on their shoes, just like I can tell a real cowboy by the condition of their boots 😀 yeeha!!

"MTBoregon" wrote

I’m 35 w/ a family & full time job… About 5 years ago I discovered Cyclocross and I fell in love with racing for the first time in my life. Over the past 5 years I’ve gone on a journey of discovery & tried a number of things. I’ve gone from finishing Mtb & CX races mid pack for the first couple years to now being #1 so I’m moving up to Cat 2 next race.

I do a bit of everything for training during the winter. I do Plyometric based workouts twice a week to help with strength, cardio, & recovery. In Mtb you need strength & a the ability to quickly recover from explosive efforts. I also get in 45min to 1:30 hour trainer / road rides twice a week – I tend to do interval training sessions for time reasons. I also found a group of guys from CX racing that are crazy enough to go on night Mtb rides with me all winter long – rain, snow, etc. We found the nights rides don’t create marital / family issues & it’s a fun escape on a week night. It also really helps because you end up riding in the mud and over slipery terain a lot which burns tons of energy and helps w/ handling skills. I seriously would have told you 5 years ago that no one should ride in the weather we do – but get the right gear & just go for it. Thanks BT–I appreciate your help 😃

Once spring hits I drop a plyo session and hit the road one more day a week – typically adding a 20 mile spin ride w/ some hills. Before CX race season I really focus on doing interval sets to once again build my speed up.

I think the key for me has been doing a good mix since MTB is all about a mix of needs.

Start to do some research or talk to a coach about a structured interval training program – they are your best bang for your buck. I think the key for Mtb is to not focus on one training type but get in a mix of spin / intervals / plyo’s for strength.

You can sure say that again. I spent all winter going to spin class at least twice a week and I thought that I was in really good shape. Then last week I headed up to Michigan to ride Stoney Creek and totally got my ass kicked! I guess there is a major difference between spin class and real riding…

"mikedm" wrote

You can sure say that again. I spent all winter going to spin class at least twice a week and I thought that I was in really good shape. Then last week I headed up to Michigan to ride Stoney Creek and totally got my ass kicked! I guess there is a major difference between spin class and real riding…

Ya–what’s up with that? 😕

Yeah,I went from the stationary bike into the spin class because I had topped out on the stationary and thought I was gonna kill the spin class..same thing,,,just a big thud,,hahahaha,that’s when I just gave up on thinking either would do any good for actual mtn biking..

Not that it wouldnt be any good at all,it’s just that anything othere than mtn bike is like a supplement and does’nt help much unless your mtn bike program is already hoppin…

It’s kinda like 39X23 vs 22X32 to build strength. 😄 Later,

I like to mountain bike, and road ride, and spin, and none of them are quite like the other. 😃

Spinning is good fitness activity especially during the frequent rain and wet trail/road conditions.

I thought spinning would be a lot like road riding but a couple differences came to light immediately:
      a) The wheel of the spinning bikes at the gym are heavy and carry a strong rotational momentum that a real bicycle wheel would never have.
      b) The spinning bikes at the gym are stable in a way a real bicycle would never be. No side to side rocking. They are built to be very stable and I would work very hard to force one to tip at all. So it doesn’t feel like a real bike ride and I found that encouraged some sloppy balancing and bad habits. It’s easy to get lazy on positioning and balance because that hunk of steel just ain’t gonna budge. Not so the real thing.

I encourage spinning as a fitness tool and an alternative to when trails or road are not accessible. But I have no delusions about it either. I see a lot of spinners in class who wouldn’t know how to ride a bike at all if it weren’t nailed to gym floor, with techno music blaring. LOL

Y

Viewing 28 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.