South VS. North VS. East VS. West

Viewing 37 reply threads
  • Author

Who has it the worst? Who has it the best?

We down here in the South (AL, FL, GA, MS, LA, and other southern states) got humidity, hot heat, mud, and sand to ride in.

Peeps out west and in the northern parts don’t have to deal with exhausting heat and weight losing heat (loose five to 7 lbs just in sweat).

Ppl in Canada got some of the best riding there is in north america, so what do they have to complain about?

Persons on the east coast and in the new england states have damp, soggy, root filled trails. I know they got traction problems at one point or another.

Pipe in and let every one know what you deal with on a ride whether it be riding condition of the trails, the weather, or just whatever.

Yeah, I gotta say that Spaz and Chili are pretty much on the mark with the Humidity thing. It is the deal breaker here by the Chattahoochee River…Hot or Cold you throw in high humidity and it will feel 25 degrees hotter or colder depending. Also, I lived in Ft. Lauderdale for a while…. so throw in some sand too… and thats right… You got "Hell on Wheels!" Give me a big climb up North, or out West any day. Steve

The West has its drier humidity, but it is hot as hell under that dry sun

Here in Colorado it’s not just the dry heat,with the altitude the air is not only thinner for breathing,but the atmoshpere is thinner and let’s alot more uv’s through that is exceptionally hard on skin and eye’s and makes the heat and sun that much harder to deal with.It’s kinda like kryptonite,it can make a person feel like somone has you under the magnifying glass and is trying to burn you at times.
      I am fare complected and sun burn in a matter of minutes and find that when the sky’s are clear with no clouds I am wary of being out on the trails,although,those trails are mostly here on the front range and if you drive up into the mountains,there are alot of trails to be ridden that are under tree cover and the cool air that flows through the tree cover can be like natures air conditioning and makes for perfect riding even on the hottest days.But on the western slope(fruita,grand junction area)it is wide open in most places and they dont call those areas desart for nothing,it will cook you when riding during the afternoons in the summer monthes.
      Right now we are just turning the corner into the best part of the riding season where no matter where you ride,it will most likely be reall nice to ride.
      So I guess,as long as we have trails with tree cover to ride under,the humidity wins for having it the worst because that stuff just dont go away.Although,I get out to Nebraska,Kansas area during the summers and the heat and humidity there is no fun either.I can only imagine how it is down south.Just my take on it for now.

Too bad about being light complected Steve…

The big eye-opener for me was getting the worst sunburn of my life in the freakin’ winter while skiing at Winter Park.

I can’t really say without being biased, and since it’s where I live, I’m gonna be picking the east. This year we’ve got all the rain, I guess instead of places down south, the rain came east this year. Also we have snow for about 5 months out of the year [December – April], which means mtbing is nearly impossible (unless you this guy. Other than that I don’t think it’s really in me to give a fair answer.

Edit: Just to make this clear, this is the North East, not an option, but still part of the east coast.

Wait, what? VT = Vermont, definitely in the northeast…

i think the poll is a little limited… bc i would say the southwest with the hot hot hot desert heat, cactuses, and snakes and all that…

"ChiliPepper" wrote

[quote="Asfyxiate":16icyhu2]Edit: Just to make this clear, this is the North East, not an option, but still part of the east coast.

I had to throw this in the pot:

Virginia is part of the southern states my friend. South of the Mason-Dixon Line. Anyways, also wanted to add…..We get a lot of rain down here in FL. Winter is our dry season sort of.[/quote:16icyhu2]

Bwahaha, that’s nothing new to me, half the people I talk to think VT is part of Canada or something, and yeah it is something that is easily mixed up. So no hard feelings at all man.

It’s not part of Canada, it’s part of NH 😼

"Goo" wrote

i think the poll is a little limited… bc i would say the southwest with the hot hot hot desert heat, cactuses, and snakes and all that…

thanx to who ever editted the poll. goo man was right it was a bit limited.

"Goo" wrote

Now take that hot hot desert heat and add a ton of moisture to it. You will feel like you are drowning in your own inhaling breaths almost. And we got snakes to in the extreme southeast (not sure about FL in this though). Infact just in the past three months i have alomost ran over four rattle snakes. Talk about a panic stop. I don’t think i’ve ever stopped that fast before on my bike that last time. It was small but still has fangs and is still a rattler. We also got a big problem with cotten-mouths to where i’m at. There are lots of streams, creeks, and a big @$$ river. Combine the water source with the humid heat and you have a snake heaven. Can’t say that we have cacti though, and glad of it. But we do have pine trees that will throw their pine cones at you 😆 I have had em’ fall straight on me while riding. Its kinda crazy – crazy squirrls. We do have an albino squirrl though can be seen regularly. Kinda different.

"spazjensen" wrote

[quote="Goo":28iqc7ys]i think the poll is a little limited… bc i would say the southwest with the hot hot hot desert heat, cactuses, and snakes and all that…

Now take that hot hot desert heat and add a ton of moisture to it. You will feel like you are drowning in your own inhaling breaths almost. And we got snakes to in the extreme southeast (not sure about FL in this though). Infact just in the past three months i have alomost ran over four rattle snakes. Talk about a panic stop. I don’t think i’ve ever stopped that fast before on my bike that last time. It was small but still has fangs and is still a rattler. We also got a big problem with cotten-mouths to where i’m at. There are lots of streams, creeks, and a big @$$ river. Combine the water source with the humid heat and you have a snake heaven. Can’t say that we have cacti though, and glad of it. But we do have pine trees that will throw their pine cones at you 😆 I have had em’ fall straight on me while riding. Its kinda crazy – crazy squirrls. We do have an albino squirrl though can be seen regularly. Kinda different.[/quote:28iqc7ys]

i’m living in georgia right now, so i know about most of that… but i still think the desert would be worse.

Having the opportunity to ride in few different areas, I would almost pick two the south west and the south east, Having just ridden around Kingman AZ when it was 104deg outside made for a short ride and the cactus could be a killer if you fell on it. I was out by Joplin MO a few weeks ago and when for a short ride the humidity was killer but with a lot of water in both places does help even if it’s as hot in the tube as outside.
      In the winter of late fall the south west might be ok just watch out for the cactus.
      Right now I am just outside Phoenix AZ and my thermo says 110deg I’m not going to ride in that even if I have the time, I will hide in comfort of my A/C.

As a former New Hampshire resident We do not want Vermont. Just send us their beer!

I have biked on snowmobile trails of New England in single digits and biked in the hummidity of Georgia. As long as I am riding and having fun, does it really matter?

"brianW" wrote

As a former New Hampshire resident We do not want Vermont. Just send us their beer!

HEY, we don’t want you either New Hampshire! and you can’t have our brews either. But all kidding aside, fun is really all that matters!!

Hey, Is Killington still trying to suceed from VT and become a town of NH? 😀

"ChiliPepper" wrote

[quote="Asfyxiate":3nie4vj7]

Virginia is part of the southern states my friend. South of the Mason-Dixon Line. Anyways, also wanted to add…..We get a lot of rain down here in FL. Winter is our dry season sort of.

[/quote:3nie4vj7]

Yea most Virginians consider theirselves Southerners although NOVA may be a stretch. We say "Ya”ll" and "I reckon" but its hard to get good grits here like in Georgia hahahaha. Geographically we are pretty far north but the ocean keeps the winters not too bad. 4 distinct seasons with all the good and bad.

Seems like most areas have their +’s and -‘s. All in what you make of it. Summers here are pretty good, fall is great until leaf fall and then its sucks for riding for a month or so. Winter is mostly rideable but a month or so will be wet / or frozen or just humid -cold- miserable. Springs not too bad but rains can set in for 2-3 days at a time. Western VA trails dry out quick so you don’t have much down time due to rains. Lots of hills and rocks to entertain a MTBer.

Most of us have to weigh in job opportunities, family ties, and of course – good riding into the pot and come up with the best combination available to us.

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

[quote="ChiliPepper":1uzevtdq][quote="Asfyxiate":1uzevtdq]
      Yea most Virginians consider theirselves Southerners although NOVA may be a stretch. We say "Ya”ll" and "I reckon" but its hard to get good grits here like in Georgia hahahaha. Geographically we are pretty far north but the ocean keeps the winters not too bad. 4 distinct seasons with all the good and bad.

Seems like most areas have their +’s and -‘s. All in what you make of it. Summers here are pretty good, fall is great until leaf fall and then its sucks for riding for a month or so. Winter is mostly rideable but a month or so will be wet / or frozen or just humid -cold- miserable. Springs not too bad but rains can set in for 2-3 days at a time. Western VA trails dry out quick so you don’t have much down time due to rains. Lots of hills and rocks to entertain a MTBer.

Most of us have to weigh in job opportunities, family ties, and of course – good riding into the pot and come up with the best combination available to us.

[/quote:1uzevtdq][/quote:1uzevtdq]

One thing that i like more than anyhting is some good GRITS. GRITS as in Girls Raised In The South. But i can’t beat just plain ole’ good grits – the kind you eat. Just add some salt and butter and you gotta meal that’ll stick to your ribs and won’t off until you are done riding. Also cheese grits are awesome any time of day. Grits, biscuts and gravy – redeye gravy- and some really good eggs cooked with bacon or sausage grease. mmm-mm i’m hungry.

and if you ain’t got sweet tea, dont try calling yourselves southern, country, or even hillbilly. When get riding and rafting the Natahala or Chatooga rivers in North Ga or S. Carolina, we meet up sith some family of mine that make moonshine the good ole fashion way and sip on that after a ride. Now thats some good stuff. Smells like chocolate, taste like apples, and feels like cold ice water runnin down your throat, not burning. Refreshing and intoxicating. WHOO-HOO i want some right now.

"ChiliPepper" wrote

[quote="spazjenson":1fesuihh]Grits, biscuts and gravy – redeye gravy- and some really good eggs cooked with bacon or sausage grease.

You are killing me spaz! I wont even get into the moonshine thing, but since you did bring it up…..I will throw in some homemade wine and a side of crawfish pie. Mmm, Mmm good! 😄[/quote:1fesuihh]

And just to throw it out there. We (me and other riding buddies) went on a MTB trip here in AL. We camped for three nights and at night around the fire i pulled out my banjo and would start twankin on it. 😃

i do like me some good stew of everything like potatoes, corn on the cob, crawdads, shrimp, scallops, and whatver else one throws into a cajun brew. Just cook it all together for like a few hours and pour it across the table and start pickin at it. Just don’t go on a ride after your eat it, cuz you will be hurtin from it later. 😠 😆

If I dont get to eat at a cajun eat out at least once in my life,then I will have a regret to deal with when I get to the pearly gates in heaven……….Man all that food sounds good to me,SOOOPS ONNNN….hahaha.

I Love how the poll only has canada as one area….B.C. is awesome especially where i am in the okanagan where it has rained maybe 7 times all summer a nice dry 90 degree heat is average and the trails have every style of riding you would want…

Personally I feel if your not climbing a mountain for an hour plus then its not as good cause you dont get that long downhill…jmo…

I have road in Texas Maine and Colorado and to me Texas was very boring and thought I might as well be riding on a cycle cross bike. At least in Texas you could ride all winter ….. …

Only downfall to B.C. And Colorado (which has awesome trails as well) is you cant ride in the winter but who would want to when theres all that awesome skiing and snowboarding to be done…

My vote for the worst would have to be anywhere there is not a very large mountain and a variety of trails (xc freeride downhill built up structures…)

no prob..now my vote definitely has to be mid canada

As a transplanted northerner (I despise the term "yankee" Its the Evil Empire of baseball) I can say up north they serve great grits, however its called "polenta" and is served by Italian famies and resturants 😃

Also, all the areas that I have traved in the US and in other countries serve great but unique food. As long as its made with ‘love’ and you are sitting around with family and friends it will taste awesome.

By the way, my wife makes a killer ‘shrimp -n- cheese grits’

and finally GO RED SOX!

the only time i eat bugs is when they get stuck in ym teech ormouth while i’m riding the trail. it gets really bad during the summer with all the mosquitos and gnats that we have. 😠 other than that i try to keep anything small, crunchy, and alive out of my mouth.

one other thing:
      grits ain’t grits if they’re served by italians and are called polenta. the shrimp and cheese sounds good though, depending on what kind of and how the shrimp is cooked.

i didn’t know they HAD mountain biking in mid canada… that is totally my vote now. almost all of alberta, etc is miserable…

yep they do and even worse than Alberta… Saskatchewan at least Alberta has banff

yeah i said most of alberta… i was meaning everything that’s not banff basically, haha! banff is sweet… i’ve skied up there. but the rest of it: not cool

"Goo" wrote

yeah i said most of alberta… i was meaning everything that’s not banff basically, haha! banff is sweet… i’ve skied up there. but the rest of it: not cool

Banff is sweet. Was lucky enough to taste those slopes a while back (on skiis). Lake Louise (not sure if i spelled that right) has got to be one of the most beautiful spots I have ever seen. That area should have some sweet summer- fall mountain biking if they allow it on their national parks. Seems like there is a picture postcard view in every direction up there. Must go back, must go back………

"fergy16" wrote

no prob..now my vote definitely has to be mid canada

what makes mid’canada really bad? never been there or heard any about. I just know Whistler, Kamloops, and Alberta.

Well, its as flat as flat gets and it goes winter summer dont really get to enjoy seasons and it has huge mosquitoes and horse flys…Its basically north dakota except flatter and colder..not meaning to offend anybody jmo

"fergy16" wrote

Well, its as flat as flat gets and it goes winter summer dont really get to enjoy seasons and it has huge mosquitoes and horse flys…Its basically north dakota except flatter and colder..not meaning to offend anybody jmo

exactly. north dakota is bad… central canada is worse.

I have to agree that Canada is a blast. Try St. Catherine’s St in Montreal you’ll have a killer time…….. oh wait thats not mt biking 😃

"brianW" wrote

I have to agree that Canada is a blast. Try St. Catherine’s St in Montreal you’ll have a killer time…….. oh wait thats not mt biking 😃

I’ve seen the police on MTBs, does that count??

"brianW" wrote

have to ask….
      what does that mean :?: 😕

what is Catherine’s St.?

St Catherines St. was a bunch of bars and clubs on it. Used to have the Forum where the "Habs" played. Think Burbon St. of the north.

"brianW" wrote

St Catherines St. was a bunch of bars and clubs on it. Used to have the Forum where the "Habs" played. Think Burbon St. of the north.

Ah I gotcha now. Except in new orleans you do urban freeride in the cemetaries.

Just kidding i would never do that but some down there would.
      crazy voo-doo people do anything that has to do with the dead. 😮 😕 😆

Viewing 37 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.