Snapped Derailleur

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author

I was coming back from a ride today when I heard a loud clanking sound and my pedals more or less locked up. when I looked to see what was wrong, the rear derailleur had apparently snapped at the arm that was connected to the shifter cable. Just from what I can see, it seems as though the arm failed all of a sudden because the break is fairly clean. When the break occurred, i was not shifting although I did hit a small bump. What should I do as far as repairs are concerned? I have a Giant Boulder SE, completely stock, with a Shimano Acera rear derailleur

If it’s the arm I’m thinking you’ll need a new derailleur. I had issues shifting and thought my rear derailleur arm was bent, luckily it was just the hanger and that was like a $15 fix. But if the actual arm of the derailleur is indeed snapped, I think it’s done. I’d suggest upgrading and not just straight replacing with another Acera.

Sorry but I was laughing a bit…

You just said the most common line out there….

I was just riding along when…

Well by the sounds of it your going to have to get two items for sure. The first is the derailleur and the second is the hanger.. Even if you may think it is straight change it….

More than likely the derailleur went into the spokes and snapped. so you must have at one time dropped in or had it hit and bend on a rock or two.

Depending on how old the bike is you may want to change the cable as well for safe measure.

Upgrading sounds like a good idea just don’t go crazy.

You might want to check your spokes as well,if your derailer broke from hitting your spokes then you may possibly have some bent or out of true spokes.Sounds like an opprotunity to upgrade your derailer to me, 😃

any recommendations for replacements? It’s a 21 speed (3 gears up front, 7 in back)

Is the old derailleur direct attached, or do you have a derailleur hanger?

It’s directly attached

"hitman6050" wrote

It’s directly attached

chillipepper ^^

His is also a 7 speed, so his choices are really limited.

My Rockhopper came with that Alivio in an 8-spd. I upgraded to an XT and gave the Alivio to a friend and he is still using it, 2 years later.

Personally I wouldn’t go over Deore LX if still avaliable.

I would take it to the local bike shop and have them do everything for you. They will check every thing listed above and find you a derailluer that is compatible. I know, they may be expensive, but it will definately be done right.

Yeah, I know…but that one I linked should be a direct bolt-on for him ;)

I got my hands on the schematics for some of the different acera models and it seems that it uses a RMD- M330 model with a 7- speed adapter. It looks like that what actually may have broken was the adapter, so I may see about just upgrading the whole drivetrain so it won’t be so hard to find new parts. The derailleur i have now isn’t even listed on their main products page anymore, so I think I’ll look into getting a 9 speed instead. Are there any particular 9- speeds to look out for? What I’m mostly looking for is climbing power, although I still do want a few "fast" gears

You will probably need to get a new wheel because yours is most likely a threaded cassette and the 9 speeds are a lock-on cassette. Not to mention new shifters and new deraillers and new cranks and new cable and housing. You’re looking at least $250 for a minimal upgrade…. Might be better to save up for a new bike.

^^ What he said…

in that case, it looks like i won’t be riding again for a while 😢

If that is the case, just visit your local bike shop and order only what you need….Alivio is still in production, even though it is not visible on the website.

thx. I picked up an alivio a few days ago and now I just need to get a new hanger

Or go to your local bike shop. They will know what yo need so you don’t have to worry about getting the right one… 😕

Wow, that second guy has mine for $10…I may just pick one up as a spare. I’ve straightened mine so many times, it’s bound to give out eventually.

On a related note, the team mechanic at 24 Hours of Moab showed me how to use one of these:
      http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Deraill … B003RZMHJM

It’s a fairly pricy investment, but if you go in it with some riding buddies, it’s a good investment and help can keep the shifting smooth and precise.

The only thing I have to contribute to this thread at the moment is:

I love my single speed. 😆

"dgaddis" wrote

The only thing I have to contribute to this thread at the moment is:

I love my single speed. 😆

… ^^^This guy! 😏

Viewing 22 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.