Slatyfork Shuffle 2010 Thursday Ride

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author

Slatyfork West Virginia Shuffle – Thursday ride. This was also posted on a regional forum, but I don’t think there’s too much crossover between the 2 forums, so here goes.

I managed to hook up with the Slatyfork Shuffle Thursday and Friday. Thursday’s route was on Kennison Mountain which much of the crew had worked on Wednesday. On my last Shuffle it was painful with multiples of multiple tree crossings. Still some smaller stuff down, but it was quite passable.

We shuttled and started out at Frosty Gap Trail.

Into the woods
      Through a cathedral of big trees

First break
      More dark forest
      The longest and driest of the bridges
      We went to the end, and backtracked to the fire road. We then rode up the fire road back to Frosty Gap trail. Then we went out the other end of Kennison for a ways.
      Onto South Fork trail, which is kind of like Props Run – but in much worse shape. Most of the creek crossings are washed out messes. It does have the same nettle patches as Props Run.
      Davis and Cacapon.
      Outdoornut and Cacapon on the first mechanical, a broken hanger.
      King size stinging nettles
      They hurt for a while.
      Lots of creek crossings
      And a trick bridge to see if you are paying attention

Onto Cowpasture trail to finish out the ride.
      Probably the easiest trail in the area, and it’s still not that easy with mud and a whole lot of vegetation.
      Some of the guys were joking that by this point in the day, the butterflies were the fastest things around,

CCR – nice pics. How long of a ride was that?

"fleetwood" wrote

CCR – nice pics. How long of a ride was that?

About 18 miles I think. Because of the mud, vegetation, and rocks that you fight on West Virginia trails, it seems like more. Its an annual gathering thats pretty much open – you should try it sometime.

I might be up for that one day. I have lately been regularly riding a 15 mile route here locally and my endurance and time is improving. My riding buddy and I have plans to start bumping that 15 up to 20+. I do remember that when I rode Davis, it was a whole different world though, so I’d want to make sure I am up for it.

Do you guys announce the annual ride somewhere? I see from Google Maps that it is about a 4 hour drive from where I live. Good camping in the area?

"fleetwood" wrote

I might be up for that one day. I have lately been regularly riding a 15 mile route here locally and my endurance and time is improving. My riding buddy and I have plans to start bumping that 15 up to 20+. I do remember that when I rode Davis, it was a whole different world though, so I’d want to make sure I am up for it.

Do you guys announce the annual ride somewhere? I see from Google Maps that it is about a 4 hour drive from where I live. Good camping in the area?

I would think the riding is similar to Davis, but more remote. We camp at Tea Creek Campground on Scenic Highway 150 north of Marlinton. It is announced on MTBR – VA/WV/Del/MD forum. Watch or search that forum in the spring and you will see some posts come up.

"CraigCreekRider" wrote

[quote="fleetwood":25sjfld1]I might be up for that one day. I have lately been regularly riding a 15 mile route here locally and my endurance and time is improving. My riding buddy and I have plans to start bumping that 15 up to 20+. I do remember that when I rode Davis, it was a whole different world though, so I’d want to make sure I am up for it.

I would think the riding is similar to Davis, but more remote. We camp at Tea Creek Campground on Scenic Highway 150 north of Marlinton. It is announced on MTBR – VA/WV/Del/MD forum. Watch or search that forum in the spring and you will see some posts come up.[/quote:25sjfld1]

Dang. My work’s internet filter started blocking MTBR forums, so I don’t get out there very often anymore. I’m glad ST hasn’t hit their radar. Shhhhh. 😃

Outdoornut did a great job on the video from Thursdays ride.

http://vimeo.com/14326396

Kennison Mountain is my favorite of the Slatyfork trails. Kinda overgrown, but still fun.

Looks like some great riding, however those plants look painful LOL and that bridge looks like nice challenge!

Viewing 7 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.