Single speed using biggest front chainring?

Tagged: 

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author

I have an older 03 Trek 4500 that I am using as a commuter. I want to convert it to single speed for lightness since I hardly seem to shift anyways. My crank has the chainrings spot welded on. Can I use my factory crank and have the chain on the biggest chainring? With a single speed spacer kit will I be able to align the chain correctly?

I did a post on this not too long ago. Check it out HERE.

Yes, you can use your big ring. Just find a SS kit with lots of different size spacers to let you fine tune the rear cog alignment.

Here’s an update. I went with the DMR single speed kit and SRAM PC1 1/8th inch chain. I had to modify the chain tensioner pulley wheel with a drill and file to accept the bigger chain, but it worked out great. I have the chain a good length to use either the 16 tooth rear cog for commuting or a 21 tooth rear cog for trail riding. The DMR tension seeker is easy to install and use. It’s strong as well. I’m using my factory crank with the 42 tooth chain ring. So far I like single speed riding. It’s so simple and maintenance free.

How do you like a single speed on the trails? Thinking about converting to one.

"baker9" wrote

How do you like a single speed on the trails? Thinking about converting to one.

Most people that give it a chance really like it. Check this out: http://www.singletracks.com/blog/uncate … -a-chance/

Thank you. Decided to convert my old stiff frame to a single speed after that article.

Viewing 5 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.