Simple Seat Problem

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

Simple question for any of you. Whenever I ride my lower back starts to hurt (similar feeling to a cramp I suppose) within maybe 15 minutes of riding. It really isn’t that noticeable but still a nuisance. I am in good shape and all so I think there is just something up with my seat. Wondering what the correct position is. I tried moving it around on the rails a bit but to no avail. Any tips?

It might not be the saddle. Do you feel like you are reaching farther than you should to the handlebars?

that is kind of what I feel that the problem is but I have the seat moved as far forward as it will go.

Moving the saddle forward, won’t help you when the whole seating position is wrong. Quiet the contrary, it can make it more worse

Then is the frame size just wrong?

Or maybe you just need a shorter stem.

Need more info about your size and the bike size at this point.

ah, thanks maddslacker I will try playing with that.

For the right position of the saddle

Sit on your bike with the crankarms in a horizontal position. Now the kneecap of the foot in front, should be right over the centerline of the pedal.

If the saddle is in this position and you still have this problems, try a shorter stem and/or a little more rise

Yeah if that is the correct position then my saddle needs a bit of adjustment. Thanks both of you.

Another thing to consider, are you rounding your back when you ride? (usually happens when I am tired or just being lazy)
      I find that if ride like this, then my low back gets sore.

On the other hand, if I bend from my waist and keep my low back in-line with my mid back, I don’t have this problem. This takes core strength to keep yourself in this position. Working on planks, side planks, and bird-dog exercises are good for this area.

Agree with allroy71 — when I have lower back pain, it usually due to my posture on the bike. For me, I find it easier to keep my back in the right position if I roll my pelvis further forward, which takes the bow out of my lower back. It does have your pressure points on the saddle further forward, and you may also need to tweak the seat position accordingly — and be sure to not put too much weight on the base of your dick for too long, unless you like that prolonged feeling of numbness, that is!

This is a bigger issue for me on the road bike, since I tend not to sit in one position for long on the trail anyway.

BTW, I have always found (on both road and train bikes) that my preferred saddle position is somewhat more forward than indicated by the plumb bob method. Don’t be afraid to experiment with what works best for you.

Viewing 10 reply threads

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.